Out of contract...

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

St Johnstone: Callum Booth, Steven Anderson, Ross Callachan, Liam Craig, Murray Davidson, Matty Kennedy, Drey Wright, Danny Swanson, Callum Hendry, Chris Kane, David McMillan, Max Johnstone. 

Added Max Johnstone to your list. He's not very good but they obviously feel they need a third choice keeper with Sinclair out on loan. I'd imagine the plan is to loan him out again next season so someone will be required again. 

Anderson and McMillan are effectively already away. Ross Callachan will follow them.

Davidson starts every week, Kennedy virtually every week (2 of the 3 games he didn't were on plastic pitches) and Wright has started 8 of the 11 games since he returned to the starting eleven after injury. 

Liam Craig has started one game in 4 months (since Holt arrived) and Danny Swanson just a couple. Two players who have contributed a lot in the past (and actually played very well in those games) but both are 33. Sort of players the manager would probably want to keep if he had an unlimited budget, which he quite obviously doesn't. 

Hendry is proving a real asset, if not the finished article. 4 goals, 1 assist, in just 309 minutes of football. Hopefully he believes the best place to continue developing is with Saints. Kane gets a torrid time from a chunk of the support and doesn't score enough goals but one look at the list of absolute dross we've endured up front over this decade firmly places me in the camp of better the devil you know. We need to add another striker to the squad before the start of next season though. 

Callum Booth has just broken into the side so don't think any judgement can be made on him yet. 

Other than Ross Sinclair, the batch of young players that were too old for the U18s will all presumably be going out of contract too. O'Reilly played in Airdrie's first two games then disappeared without trace. Munro is presumably injured as Stenhousemuir aren't running with a full bench and he's not been involved since the start of November. Ballantyne and Struthers are in and out at Montrose, Robertson made his second start for Cove yesterday but Hamilton is pretty nailed on in the side now for Brechin. 

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'd actually keep Cooke. He's young, has the right attitude, he is very good at unsettling/upsetting defences and I think he might yet come good. Give him another year.

Is this the same Cody Cooke that started 3 League games last year and none this year? He is also 27 in March so not exactly a promising youngster. For paying him 2 years wages for 3 starts he would need to play a blinder scoring a barrowload in the remaining games for me to consider giving him another contract. He does seem a nice guy and I admire his attitude and enthusiasm but he has so far failed to prove he is a Premiership striker. His recent cameo appearances have indicated a wee spark and I would give him a game against Broxburn to see if he can score against non-League opposition (he failed in all the League Cup games) but he has a lot to do to merit a new contract.

40 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Is this the same Cody Cooke that started 3 League games last year and none this year? He is also 27 in March so not exactly a promising youngster. For paying him 2 years wages for 3 starts he would need to play a blinder scoring a barrowload in the remaining games for me to consider giving him another contract. He does seem a nice guy and I admire his attitude and enthusiasm but he has so far failed to prove he is a Premiership striker. His recent cameo appearances have indicated a wee spark and I would give him a game against Broxburn to see if he can score against non-League opposition (he failed in all the League Cup games) but he has a lot to do to merit a new contract.

Pretty much, he puts himself about a bit but he's nowhere near the ability of the other 3 strikers in team. He came on in the most recent game rocketed one over the stand and bounced the ball about and out for a couple of throw-ins. All I see in him is a typical Stubbs signing. He'll get a team lower end of the Championship. 

Pretty much, he puts himself about a bit but he's nowhere near the ability of the other 3 strikers in team. He came on in the most recent game rocketed one over the stand and bounced the ball about and out for a couple of throw-ins. All I see in him is a typical Stubbs signing. He'll get a team lower end of the Championship. 
To be fair Obika and Junior have nearly cleared the stands with shots too [emoji23] especially against Killie but I agree.

He is going to have to really prove his worth in the limited game time he is going to get over the next few months. Goodwin likes using 2 up front though so that goes in his favour if we get injuries/suspensions.

Keep - Davidson, Wright, Kennedy, Hendry

Unsure - Booth, Craig, Kane

Release - Johnstone, Anderson, Callachan, Swanson, McMillan

Holt is out of contract at Rangers. Still on the fence about whether we try and sign him permanently at this stage. He's not hit the heights we hoped he would be hasn't been awful either.

Keeps are all pretty self explanatory. The latter 3 are anything but certain at this stage though. Wright and Kennedy will have suitors and Hendry might get frustrated that strikers who don't score are getting runs of starts ahead of him. Hopefully the manager is talking to him regularly so he's not becoming disheartened - certainly seems to be enjoying himself but you just never know.

Booth has only come into the team. He's had a promising start but I'd imagine we'll use the rest of the season as an extended trial for him. I'd imagine he'll be offered a 2 year contract if he carries on his early form for us. Craig's onfield appearances are now limited but he's clearly still highly thought of at the club and a good person to have around. Radford makes a good case for Kane but I can't help but shake the notion that we should have a look at what's available before committing to anything with him. He has his uses but he's had a lot of chances over the last couple 18 months and he's not delivering goals. If we do release him, would another top flight club pick him up? Very doubtful.

Releases almost pick themselves for me. Anderson and McMillan are effectively away already, Callachan hasn't played since the opening day and has been in the squad once since and Johnstone is a third choice goalkeeper who doesn't seem up to much. Swanson is most difficult but he's a high earner and he's not really getting any chances at all now. I love him for his first two spells at Saints but this time round he's just not managed to force his way into the team and has proven to be an expensive luxury. I suppose the situation might change for him if Kennedy and Wright end up signing for clubs on pre-contracts elsewhere.

Edited by Kyle

20 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Aye, that's the fella 😂

Happy to stand corrected about his age: I thought he was younger. But I honestly believe there's something there, if only as a decent option from the bench. A lot of our best squads in recent years have had something 'different' as an sub option. I'm mainly thinking big Sam Parkin in the cup-winning team as a case study example. We have to be realistic about the quality of striker we can afford and expect to be happy as a benchwarming option.

He comes on, rattles defences and shoots on sight (admittedly not always successfully). Sometimes that's just what you need in a game.

I vote to keep him on.

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Aye, that's the fella 😂

Happy to stand corrected about his age: I thought he was younger. But I honestly believe there's something there, if only as a decent option from the bench. A lot of our best squads in recent years have had something 'different' as an sub option. I'm mainly thinking big Sam Parkin in the cup-winning team as a case study example. We have to be realistic about the quality of striker we can afford and expect to be happy as a benchwarming option.

He comes on, rattles defences and shoots on sight (admittedly not always successfully). Sometimes that's just what you need in a game.

I vote to keep him on.

Fair enough CS. I believe we have more than enough players in the squad who are not first team picks and picking up a wage without contributing much. I would much more prefer to have a youngster from the Academy in the squad or pay a wage to an up-and-coming young striker from a lower League than a 27 year old who is unproven at any professional level. So our votes cancel each other out :)

This time of year is boring as f**k, no games and teams are working on deals rather than completing them.
Heres a list of first team players available for nothing in the Summer, and able to sign PCAs just now. Take your pick..
Aberdeen: Tomas Cerny, Danny Rogers, Stephen Gleeson
Celtic: Craig Gordon, Calvin Miller, Jonny Hayes, Scott Sinclair
Hamilton: Kyle Gourlay, Brian Easton, Markus Fjortoft, Aaron McGowan, Alex Gogic, George Stanger, Ronan Hughes, Darian MacKinnon, Scott Martin, Reegan, Mimnaugh, Mickel Miller, Steve Davies, David Moyo, George Oakley, Marios Ogkmpoe
Hearts: Jamie Brandon, Clevid Dikamona, Oliver Bozanic, Glenn Whelan, Euan Henderson, Aiden Keena, Steven MacLean
Hibernian: Adam Bogdan, Steven Whittaker, Vykintas Slivka
Kilmarnock: Jan Koprivec, Jamie MacDonald, Alex Bruce, Calum Waters, Stephen Hendrie, Ross Millen, Stephen O'Donnell, Iain Wilson, Chris Burke, Gary Dicker, Mohamed El Makrini, Rory McKenzie, Adam Frizzel, Greg Kiltie
Livingston: Gary Maley, Ricki Lamie, Jack McMillan, Aaron Taylor-Sinclair, Chris Erskine, Craig Sibbald, Steven Lawless, Jack Hamilton, Scott Tiffoney
Motherwell: Trevor Carson, Mark Gillespie, Charles Dunne, Peter Hartley, Liam Grimshaw, Richard Tait, Barry Maguire, Ross MacIver, Christian Ilic, Chris Long, Christy Manzinga
Rangers: Wes Foderingham, Jon Flanagan, Andy Halliday, Jason Holt, Jordan Rossiter, Eduardo Herrera
Ross County: Jack Ruddy, Ricky Foster, Marcus Fraser, Tom Grivosti, Callum Morris, Keith Watson, Sean Kelly, Don Cowie, Iain Vigurs, Harry Paton, Lewis Spence, Brian Graham, Declan McManus
St Johnstone: Callum Booth, Steven Anderson, Ross Callachan, Liam Craig, Murray Davidson, Matty Kennedy, Drey Wright, Danny Swanson, Callum Hendry, Chris Kane, David McMillan
St Mirren: Vaclav Hladky, Gary MacKenzie, Paul McGinn, Ryan Flynn, Stephen McGinn, Oan Djorkaeff, Tony Andreu, Cody Cooke, Danny Mullen

Didn't realise Motherwell and Kilmarnock had so many first teamers in this situation. Motherwell have a GK and back four all out of contract who could compete for the top half.
We should offer Ricky Foster a PCA [emoji16]

On 04/01/2020 at 20:12, RandomGuy. said:

Ross County: Jack Ruddy, Ricky Foster, Marcus Fraser, Tom Grivosti, Callum Morris, Keith Watson, Sean Kelly, Don Cowie, Iain Vigurs, Harry Paton, Lewis Spence, Brian Graham, Declan McManus

Ruddy and McManus can leave, they're not up to it.

Grivosti, Watson, Paton and Spence I'd keep.

The rest I'm either undecided about or feel we should keep unless someone better is available. A lot will depend on if we stay up or go down.

On 04/01/2020 at 20:12, RandomGuy. said:

Motherwell: Trevor Carson, Mark Gillespie, Charles Dunne, Peter Hartley, Liam Grimshaw, Richard Tait, Barry Maguire, Ross MacIver, Christian Ilic, Chris Long, Christy Manzinga

Suppose we can scratch big Trev off this list considering he’s just signed up again. Very much relieved to have at least one of the keepers extending their stay.

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 17:21, The Marly said:

Kilmarnock: Jan Koprivec, Jamie MacDonald, Alex Bruce, Stephen Hendrie, Ross Millen, Stephen O'Donnell, Iain Wilson, Chris Burke, Gary Dicker, Mohamed El Makrini, Rory McKenzie, Adam Frizzel, Greg Kiltie

Something tells me that only Rory McKenzie, of this list, will be at RP next season.

Aberdeen

January - Jon Gallagher (loan end)

June - Tomas Cerny, Danny Rogers, Stephen Gleeson, Frank Ross, Greig Leigh (loan end), Zak Vyner (loan end).

I don't imagine the Dons will be in too much of a rush to sign any of the above. Even Greig Leigh, now that he is out injured for 2 months, will be a bit of a 'wait and see'.

The Dons will certainly be interested in SOD, Kennedy and Jonny Hayes. I don't think any of the rest of the list will pique interest.

Given our PCA offer for Trevor Carson (and assuming Joe Lewis is not going anywhere) it sounds like we'll maybe twist on Cerny/Rogers.

1 minute ago, d31 said:

Aberdeen

January - Jon Gallagher (loan end)

June - Tomas Cerny, Danny Rogers, Stephen Gleeson, Frank Ross, Greig Leigh (loan end), Zak Vyner (loan end).

I don't imagine the Dons will be in too much of a rush to sign any of the above. Even Greig Leigh, now that he is out injured for 2 months, will be a bit of a 'wait and see'.

The Dons will certainly be interested in SOD, Kennedy and Jonny Hayes. I don't think any of the rest of the list will pique interest.

Given our PCA offer for Trevor Carson (and assuming Joe Lewis is not going anywhere) it sounds like we'll maybe twist on Cerny/Rogers.

Didn't Darren Eales confirm Gallaghers loan deal was extended?

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Didn't Darren Eales confirm Gallaghers loan deal was extended?

It's still not been announced so I was surprised he was on the Dubai trip?

Perhaps it's undecided whether he'll return in March (start MLS) or May? 

I presume it's going to be announced this month

24 minutes ago, d31 said:

It's still not been announced so I was surprised he was on the Dubai trip?

Perhaps it's undecided whether he'll return in March (start MLS) or May? 

I presume it's going to be announced this month

Not officially but there's this:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/1915855/gallagher-first-of-many-in-atlanta-aberdeen-link/