Brechin City v Cove Rangers

Half time at Glebe Park and it’s 1-0 Cove after a Masson shot from about 15 yards. A well contested, but largely dull first 45 minutes but with little in the way of chances.

Cove lucky to be leading at half time and will be hoping put in a better 2nd half performance. Brechin very much in the game. McManus came close and looks dangerous. 

Number 7, Hamilton, for Brechin is rapid and looks like he could open up Cove’s back line 

48 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Half time at Glebe Park and it’s 1-0 Cove after a Masson shot from about 15 yards. A well contested, but largely dull first 45 minutes but with little in the way of chances.

Cove lucky to be leading at half time and will be hoping put in a better 2nd half performance. Brechin very much in the game. McManus came close and looks dangerous. 

Number 7, Hamilton, for Brechin is rapid and looks like he could open up Cove’s back line 

Much better second half from Cove with 4 goals, 2 from Mitch and 1 each from Masson and Fyvie. Mitch’s first goal was a fine on the half turn volley into the bottom corner.

Brechin, after their equaliser disintegrated. That being said a spirited first 60 minutes and if they can maintain that for 90 minutes going forward they might have a chance of staying up.

Need to sign half a dozen players with a winning mentality. 

Nothing between the teams for the first hour then our lot just gave in.    Really disappointed as at 1-1 we had them rattled.  

Some really poor , avoidable goals given away as well which makes it even worse. 

3 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Need to sign half a dozen players with a winning mentality. 

Nothing between the teams for the first hour then our lot just gave in.    Really disappointed as at 1-1 we had them rattled.  

Some really poor , avoidable goals given away as well which makes it even worse. 

A few signings required as you say and somehow an injection of self-belief is needed.

Without those signings it will be a really tough second half of the season. Would Brechin survive if they got relegated? I hope they don’t go down.

Cove performances have dipped in the last 2 months if I’m being honest/critical. Our first half performance of poor passing, ball retention and creativity has been common place in the last ten or so games. Go back to the start of the season we were playing some great passing football and looked full of confidence. A few injuries and now the lack of Glass we need to up the game if we want to beat EC to the title.

Very disappointing, especially the way we folded like we did. This was never a 1-5 game based on the first hour (though in fairness, the 2-4 defeat last time Cove visited should really have been heavier). Thought McMinn could have done better with three of the goals but he’s been pretty decent so will allow him a bad game today as long as he’s back to his best next week... 

always expected Cove to have more of the ball / chances but at 1-1, playing down the hill we should have been aiming to get a point at least. We just lost the ability to pick a pass and retain any sort of possession.

Hamilton had a great chance in the first couple of minutes that he dragged wide from the angle and that might have put a slightly different complexion on the match, but i’m clutching at some pretty thin straws here

clearly we need the Fighting Fund to yield some players with not just ability but a winning attitude too. Not sure when  we can expect to see the first new face thru the door but before the Stenny game next week would be very welcome!!

Great to see such a healthy travelling support down the road tho. 

8 minutes ago, harry94 said:

How did Mulligan get on today when he got off the bench?

Showed promise when he came on. Has some attacking threat. Had a half chance saved. Interested to see him in the coming days.

Need a replacement for Glass, a right winger and another striker.

3 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

A few signings required as you say and somehow an injection of self-belief is needed.

Without those signings it will be a really tough second half of the season. Would Brechin survive if they got relegated? I hope they don’t go down.

Cove performances have dipped in the last 2 months if I’m being honest/critical. Our first half performance of poor passing, ball retention and creativity has been common place in the last ten or so games. Go back to the start of the season we were playing some great passing football and looked full of confidence. A few injuries and now the lack of Glass we need to up the game if we want to beat EC to the title.

Sorry but we won't go down. 

4 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Sorry but we won't go down. 

I hope not either. For me Brechin are a side steeped in history of the SPFL. A championship side a couple of seasons back. Not many (if any?) of the current L2 sides can say that.

On top of this they have a great and unique ground and a good fan base. Would be a big shock and loss to the SPFL if they did succumb to relegation.

At this early stage it looks to be between Brechin, Stenny and Albion for the bottom spot but everyone knows things can change.

Wouldn’t fancy playing against Brora or Kelty though.

2 hours ago, Infirmary Street said:

Very disappointing, especially the way we folded like we did. This was never a 1-5 game based on the first hour (though in fairness, the 2-4 defeat last time Cove visited should really have been heavier). Thought McMinn could have done better with three of the goals but he’s been pretty decent so will allow him a bad game today as long as he’s back to his best next week... 

always expected Cove to have more of the ball / chances but at 1-1, playing down the hill we should have been aiming to get a point at least. We just lost the ability to pick a pass and retain any sort of possession.

Hamilton had a great chance in the first couple of minutes that he dragged wide from the angle and that might have put a slightly different complexion on the match, but i’m clutching at some pretty thin straws here

clearly we need the Fighting Fund to yield some players with not just ability but a winning attitude too. Not sure when  we can expect to see the first new face thru the door but before the Stenny game next week would be very welcome!!

Great to see such a healthy travelling support down the road tho. 

Your right the score flattered Cove. I thought we were very poor in the first half and not spectacular in the second half either. I would have taken any win at 1-1 as both teams were evenly matched.

Certainly didn’t look like bottom vs top.

I’ll be interested to see who Brechin get in and how the Stenny game goes.