Diamonds vs Loons

I was there with my Forfar supporting mate today. Deserved win for Airdrie. Biggest differences were the urgency shown by Airdrie and the fitness levels. I usually see Forfar 2-3 times a season and that is not a fit team. Andy Jackson is a disgrace and Dale Hilson didn't look much better when he came on. Compare them to Callum Gallagher who although has dropped down the leagues still looks like he cares. Only big Marc can take any credit from that today. 

Is he that bad ...

Hard fought victory today. Very flat in 1st half. More urgency in 2nd. Didn’t think it was a pen. Big Nat brought something different to our game plan (if we had one?). The man can make a pass which we didn’t do nearly enough of especially 1st half.
Hope Andy Ryan rumours which I heard again at the game are true. If so would improve our title chances significantly.
Good 3 points eventually.
Keep it up guys. Well done
[emoji815]️[emoji815]️[emoji815]️[emoji813]️[emoji813]️[emoji813]️

Again we didn't play very well but I thought we defended well, Fordyce was superb and McCann played well again. We are able to stay in games when not playing well which is a major difference from previous seasons. We also have a few options from the bench, Hawkshaw didn't do much but at least won a few fouls, Wedderburn got the goal and calmed us down a bit when needed, and Thomson did well - he is almost like a new signing.

McKay continues to offer little, I'm sure he is largely in the team for his height at set-pieces and his long throws. But the throws aren't working as much anymore and if he continues to let the game pass him by it will become harder for Murray to keep picking him, especially when Wedderburn came on and did well. If we are going to win the league we still need more from the midfield, Millar has upped his game but McKay and Roberts aren't at the races at the moment.

Gallagher also really needs to stop needlessly getting caught offside. It sounds a minor thing but happens numerous times a game, I wouldn't mind if it was mistiming a forward run behind but it's almost always him not getting himself back onside when the ball is cleared, so when the ball is played back in he is offside when he challenges for it. It means we can't sustain attacks and gives the opponents an easy get out. If their defence can push out then there is no reason we he can't get back onside.

We are hanging in there, in reality though I think we need another midfielder and another goalscorer if we are going to have enough. But we are in a great position, the defence is solid and we have an established structure, just hope there are funds to find a couple of players to stick into the team and push it on a level.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

At the time the general feeling where I was sitting (right on the halfway line) was that we'd really gotten away with one with Forfar's penalty shout, but you can't really call it either way from the video because of bodies in the way.  That one and the free kick Hutton parried out were really the only times Forfar threatened, though, and I think we were worth our win.  A scrappy game with not much quality, but what there was (in terms of nice passes here and there, rather than sustained passages of dominany play) came from Airdrie.  It was kind of odd that we didn't create many chances at all, but even so when the goal did eventually arrive it felt like it had been coming.  You'd have to say that Forfar really dropped the ball defensively at Airdrie's goal - the corner came in, Airdrie won two headers with no challenge and then Wedderburn - who lost his marker as soon as the ball was played - was able to stroll around at his leisure and knock it in with nobody showing any interest in challenging him for it. 

The subs all did well when they came on, and it's good to see that there's maybe a bit more on the bench than we've thought.  I wonder if Wedderburn will fight his way into the starting XI - I can see him starting in the Hearts game, where he would give a useful reinforcment to what is going to be a mostly defensive game for us, while his accurate passing would help when the faster players get a chance to go on the break.

All in all, it wasn't pretty but that's a good three points on a day when Falkirk and Raith also won.  Leon MOTM for me, probably.

I missed the game as was down south but tweeted my bemusement at Wedderburn coming on so fair fucks to the big man for proving me wrong. He has his well-documented faults but no doubt he has a good eye for a pass. I would be cautious about playing him from the start though. Better teams than Forfar can and will take advantage of his deficiencies especially over a whole 90 minutes. I've been banging on about it for a while now but it was good to finally have some impact off the bench yesterday. I would be reluctant to change the shape or make whole-sale changes though and besides - we'll be all the stronger if we actually have players who can come off the bench and make a difference (Hawkshaw has shown he's a decent player at this level before, Thomson has something about him and hopefully that wasn't just a one off for Wedderburn). We definitely could do with more signings to add some depth and freshen things up though. Nice to keep a rare clean-sheet too.  Important to win these scrappy sorts of games although hopefully we'll pick up our performances again soon. 

Hilly is carrying an injury but Jacko has been an overweight injury prone fiasco and an entirely predictable one as well.

I was there with my Forfar supporting mate today. Deserved win for Airdrie. Biggest differences were the urgency shown by Airdrie and the fitness levels. I usually see Forfar 2-3 times a season and that is not a fit team. Andy Jackson is a disgrace and Dale Hilson didn't look much better when he came on. Compare them to Callum Gallagher who although has dropped down the leagues still looks like he cares. Only big Marc can take any credit from that today. 

Notice he didn't once attempt to play the ball yesterday as it was aimed at him, if he had done he might've got on a bit better, theres certainly no shortage of weight to be thrown about

Hilly is carrying an injury but Jacko has been an overweight injury prone fiasco and an entirely predictable one as well.