Elgin City vs Edinburgh City

Yesterday was another in a long line of frustrating games this season. We have the players to match all teams in this league, but we always seem to fall short.
Who is to blame? The Manager? The Players? I just can't put my finger on it why it is not clicking. We just seem to lack that bit of game management to get results.

A Neutral's View of the match:

Edinburgh City have come a long way since I witnessed them comprehensively dismantled by Cove Rangers on the opening day of the season.  To the extent this win – their fifth on the trot – not only maintained their healthy 12 point lead over third placed Cowdenbeath.  But, rather more importantly, kept the capital club on the tails of league leaders Cove, as the pair race off for the sole automatic promotion spot.

Not that Edinburgh had to be any great shakes this afternoon, to see off a pretty woeful Elgin side.  The homesters did boast a pair of accomplished looking midfielders in Brian Cameron and (most notably) Rory MacEwan, but up front was where their problems clearly lay.  For no matter how the ball was played forward, either by building through the midfield or (more commonly) by being punted long, it never stuck.  I would guess it has been a long time since Conrad Balatoni enjoyed such a stress free ninety minutes as the former Partick defender did this afternoon, in the heart of the visitors' defence.

But perhaps the real difference between the sides was, whilst Elgin were pretty much a blunt instrument up front, Edinburgh had Scott Shepherd.  Hardly the most substantial looking of individuals, he nevertheless never ceased making a nuisance of himself to the home defence, and generally represented a willing outlet for his team-mates.

SHEPHERD scored the only goal of the match after 27 minutes, and he would have taken my trophy for Man of the Match (if such a thing existed), but for his annoying propensity for tumbling over under minimal contact.  He was booked for one such shenanigan in the second half and, in my opinion, was more than a little fortunate not to be red-carded for a similar display late in the match.  

Robbed of the ball when Elgin were kitchen-sinking it, he went down with a squeal, only to be ignored by referee Grant Irvine.  Shepherd then grudgingly got to his feet and did that practised limping thing players in such cases do.....before suddenly breaking into a sprint when the ball looked as if it may break towards him.

The little scamp.

A few pix here - scroll down past the 2000 stuff:   https://ian38018.blogspot.com/2011/03/elgin-city-borough-briggs.html