World War Three Watch

Ralstonite

If the Iranians have any nous they will avoid falling into the elephant trap of immediate retaliation. The longer they allow time to elapse, the more this assassination will resemble the illegal act it was.

The guy above who dismissed Granny's claim of deflection is being naive in the extreme; Trump is desperate for something, anything, which could rescue his Presidency but if the Iranians hold their fire then they could finally bury it by goading him into some fresh atrocity which majority US and world opinion would condemn.

The biggest mystery to me is why the Pentagon is allowing it.

For me, the problem right now is the troops in Iraq and what should happen next. 

Once all the funeral stuff is over and Iraq insists that foreign troops have to leave and they don’t the civilians are going to get angry so that next step is confrontation.  

The foreign troops start shooting Iraqi civilians if they are set upon. 

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

You scream total bell end.

Thanks for that. I didn't need another mental image of an elderly man yelling about bellends.

1 minute ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Really ?  Get yourself a copy of the 1997 movie 'Wag The Dog' and see if you recognise the script.

Then if you don't fancy him at 10/11 get your cash on Creepy Uncle Joe.

2nd favourite at 5/1.

Free money eh?

8 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
9 hours ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
No that's incredibly naive.  This is 99.999999999% about Israel.  All other considerations pale into insignificance, if you have been following for the last twenty years that would be obvious.  

No it's not, Israel are a pawn in this. It's about oil

Its always partly about oil, but in this case that's a minor consideration.  The Hawks in the US have been desperately trying to engineer the attack on Iran they have been agitating for for twenty years.  Netanyahu has been lobbying for this for a decade too, longer actually.

There's nothing secret about any of this. Its simply because Iran is the number one regional threat to Israel, all the rest have been dealt with.  Iran is the biggie, they have had a boner for this for years and years just they never had a president reckless/stupid enough to do it.

10 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

If the Iranians have any nous they will avoid falling into the elephant trap of immediate retaliation. The longer they allow time to elapse, the more this assassination will resemble the illegal act it was.

The guy above who dismissed Granny's claim of deflection is being naive in the extreme; Trump is desperate for something, anything, which could rescue his Presidency but if the Iranians hold their fire then they could finally bury it by goading him into some fresh atrocity which majority US and world opinion would condemn.

Clinton pulled the same stunt amid his Impeachment process by ordering an airstrike on Iraq which resulted in delaying proceedings.

Edited by SandyCromarty

11 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I love the idea that "the Pentagon" could be the voice of reason. Their advice was probably to use a bigger missile. 

Not in the Middle East it doesn't.  It often does things clearly against its own interests because they benefit Israel actually.

All states act in their own interest, or at least attempt to.

Trump, however, is for sale, and has no policy whatsoever. He’s not remotely interested in US interest.

Edit: his apologists call this pacifist pragmatism, bizarrely, and compare him favourably to other presidents.

I love the idea that "the Pentagon" could be the voice of reason. Their advice was probably to use a bigger missile. 

Indeed. The people who have all the power in the US - the people who should be the voice of reason - are his advisers within his administration. Those are the men who have sold out completely, and should have been able to prevent this past week.

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

I disagree.  Whilst there would no doubt be some who might advocate such action, I think that for the most part US military top brass would be very wary of converting Trump's fiery Twitter rhetoric into reality.  They obviously nodded this one thro but I'd be surprised if they are writing any blank cheques.

Not on any basis of morality but because they know better than grandstanding politicians just how much of a quagmire the Middle East currently is, and how badly any further incursions would play with a domestic audience averse to body bags.  You might recall in this country how the  public displays of grief in (Royal) Wootton Bassett very soon gave way to out-of-sight arrival of coffins at military airfields in the wee small hours when too many of 'our boys' were returning dead.

27 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I disagree.  Whilst there would no doubt be some who might advocate such action, I think that for the most part US military top brass would be very wary of converting Trump's fiery Twitter rhetoric into reality.  They obviously nodded this one thro but I'd be surprised if they are writing any blank cheques.

Not on any basis of morality but because they know better than grandstanding politicians just how much of a quagmire the Middle East currently is, and how badly any further incursions would play with a domestic audience averse to body bags.  You might recall in this country how the  public displays of grief in (Royal) Wootton Bassett very soon gave way to out-of-sight arrival of coffins at military airfields in the wee small hours when too many of 'our boys' were returning dead.

I don't know any US military top brass but the ones I have seen on telly all give the impression that they'd much rather blow people up than not blow people up. Worrying about people dying is for commie fags. 

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

All states act in their own interest, or at least attempt to.

Trump, however, is for sale, and has no policy whatsoever. He’s not remotely interested in US interest.

Edit: his apologists call this pacifist pragmatism, bizarrely, and compare him favourably to other presidents.

In most cases yes, in this case no.  The USA acts 100% in Israel's interests in the ME, even when that is contrary to their own interests.  Their policy in the region is decided and dictated by Israel and implemented as soon as a US administration believes it can be sold to the American public.  Read The Israel Lobby and American Foreign Policy by Mearsheimer and Walt 2006 or watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzXS3tmZrcU

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I don't know any US military top brass but the ones I have seen on telly all give the impression that they'd much rather blow people up than not blow people up. Worrying about people dying is for commie fags. 

Commie fags like Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao, Ceausescu, Castro, Kim Jong-il...because those guys have never killed anyone. 🙄