Genericide

Gnash

Being a pedant I always like to pick people up on their use of trademarked names in a generic way (for example, doing the 'hoovering' rather than vacuum cleaning).  So I was disgusted with myself when I slipped into the trap myself, looking for 'lycra' shorts, only to find that Lycra is a brand name and the correct generic name is spandex.

Without much else to do on New Year's Day morning, before the rest of the family were up, I had a think about other examples of this creeping moral degradation, and came up with:

'to google' (internet search)

'xerox' (photocopy)

'biro' (ball point pen)

'band aid' (plaster)

'poma' (a type of ski tow)

'velcro' (sticky, rippy fastener things, you know what I mean)

'photoshop' (amend digital images)

'post-it' (sticky note)

'bubble wrap' (air-padded wrapping)

'jacuzzi' (hot tub)

'chapstick' (lip balm stick)

'roller blades' (in line skates)

'tipp-ex' (correction fluid)

'frisbee' (flying disc)

'plasticine' (modelling clay)

That's just what I came up with in 15 minutes of boredom.  What other examples of genericide can you think of?  Let's spread the word so as many people as possible know the correct generic term and can avoid embarrassment.  Or some pedantic busybody like me poking their nose in.

I approve of this development, because it actually annoys our Corporate Overlords when they find that their trademarks are diluted and unenforceable as their product names get absorbed into common everyday use.

Also, there's no point bothering with prescriptive language use, you're in a Cnut-style fight against inevitable forces of nature. Give up now while there's hope for you.

Edited by Aim Here

43 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Tannoy instead of PA system.

However, Tannoy are a Scottish company so I applaud this synonymous usage.

Surprised this was missed by the OP considering his avatar.

1 hour ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Sellotape.

Always described as sticky back plastic on Blue Peter. I was about 49 before I twigged it was fucking sellotape. c***s. I never started a single BP modelling project as the dearth of "sticky back plastic" in our house made them impossible. c***s.

18 minutes ago, blackislekillie said:

Always described as sticky back plastic on Blue Peter. I was about 49 before I twigged it was fucking sellotape.

Isn't it the stuff for lining drawers?

31bL0cDhlLL._AC_.jpg

Blue Peter's "sticky back plastic" was sheets or rolls of thin vinyl. You can still buy it for arts and crafts. You peeled off the backing and stuck it to the toilet roll holder you were using to make a lovely replica of St Paul's cathedral as a thoughtful gift for a father or older brother.

Sellotape was referred to as "sticky tape". I recall John Noakes accidentally using the brand name and laughing that he would be in trouble for doing that.