Montrose V East Fife

Better get a thread started on this one to show that we are interested. 

I see the Mo and East Fife battling it out for the last play off place and this game could be pivotal in the race. We've been on a great run over the past couple of months and still one of the form teams in the league. Our defence has been a bit sloppy in the last couple of games  but we are scoring more now.

Over the last 2 years, stats will say that East Fife will win by 2 goals but I'm sure the Mo will buck the trend here. I'm going for 2_1 to the Mo and leap frog EF into the play off slot.

About time we beat East Fife at home. Expect a very tough game but I hope we can edge it. Last weeks performance will have given the team a lot of confidence and belief to go on and win this game too. Sena and Rennie back in the squad hopefully. Will be difficult for SP to change the team from last week.

2 hours ago, GableEnder21 said:

About time we beat East Fife at home. Expect a very tough game but I hope we can edge it. Last weeks performance will have given the team a lot of confidence and belief to go on and win this game too. Sena and Rennie back in the squad hopefully. Will be difficult for SP to change the team from last week.

Agree with all of that except we must not start the game on the back foot like we did at Forfar. We were bullied and made far too many errors in the first half. I know it's hard for part-time clubs to put a full 90 minutes in without having a few down moments but if other teams can do it then so can the Mo.

East Fife are a bit of a bogey team at LP so high time we changed that. Get behind the lads and they'll respond.

Well done again to the Mo. From BBC stats, East Fife had almost 60% possession but the Mo had far more shots at goal. One goal to the good, maybe scant reward but v. happy with another three points and into playoff positions we go. Fantastic start to the New Year and a tonic to the distractions of the transfer window.

Ok, where do you start? Possession means nothing unless you turn it into clear chances,and we didn't do that. Missing a sitter early on, should not have been our downfall, but it proved to be that way. Sending 50 - 60 yrd passes didn't work in the first half, so why did we keep doing it? We played 4 4 2 in the first quarter and looked comfortable. Now, basically the same starting 11 , playing this 3 5 2 isn't working. Finished the game with 3 strikers, but the clue is in the name, striker! You need to strike the ball. Not nearly enough attempts at goal for all the possession.
We have to stop the rot now. Otherwise it's going to be a repeat of last season.

Important 3 points. Not the most eye catching game, not the worst. Thought we were better on balance but failure to take several chances at 1 up very nearly backfired, the last 10 minutes were far more nervy than they should have been. Haven't really had to mention refs this season, but today's one was an utter horror. Very good performances all round, tough MOTM call. 

Would love it if we keep this form on - if we do then the top 4 again is not out of the question, but I think there will be a scrap with EF and Duffyball that will go the full 36 games.

Hope the celebs enjoyed hospitality BTW. Dinnae make a mess. 😁

Edited by Scorge

Apart from the early sitter missed by EF we were pretty comfortable and just edged the first half and looked pretty comfortable until the second half substitutions.  The last 10 minutes we were hanging on but had a few breakaways where the game should have been put to bed. The stats say that EF had lots of possession but their final ball was shocking and ended up in the arms of our keeper more often than not.

The inept performance by the ref has been mentioned but he wasnt helped by the far side linesman who just didn't want to make a decision. 

Think we deserved the win but made hard work of it. A decent striker in the transfer window please SP.

Credit to East Fife fans for a very good following and respecting the minutes applause.  

Routine win for the in form team in Europe ( Liverpool excepted), feel really bad for the East Fife guys that made the long trek up to a beautiful seaside town, just because they’ve to head back to Methil, anyway, to the game, no comment, I wasn’t there, just loving the Mo in a play-off spot AGAIN!
In all seriousness, I believe it’s between these two teams to clinch 4th, I wish EF all the best & hope we can both push on & get 3 & 4th if not better!

First and foremost the Ref was garbage for both sides not fit for purpose,back to the juniors for a stint please.
The game itself was a bit of battle quite a few meaty challenges going in which was good to see.How the boy never got sent off for going after Masson after the free kick had been taken I will never know.Good finish from Lewis to secure the points that's all the matters....Great start to 2020

Ok, where do you start? Possession means nothing unless you turn it into clear chances,and we didn't do that. Missing a sitter early on, should not have been our downfall, but it proved to be that way. Sending 50 - 60 yrd passes didn't work in the first half, so why did we keep doing it? We played 4 4 2 in the first quarter and looked comfortable. Now, basically the same starting 11 , playing this 3 5 2 isn't working. Finished the game with 3 strikers, but the clue is in the name, striker! You need to strike the ball. Not nearly enough attempts at goal for all the possession.

We have to stop the rot now. Otherwise it's going to be a repeat of last season.

I am afraid- thought the manager got the tactics wrong for the second week in a row.

Last week at 4-3 we all thought we could win this- our 2 forwards scored and rather than strengthen the midfield he put on another forward and cluttered the space up front and we lost impetus!

Today we were the better team in first half - ( should of scored!) and we go from 2 upfront to 1 and play a diamond- putting Tonks on the wing( arguably our best forward in the first half and he is no a winger!)and Watt behind Wallace which hasn’t worked in the past!

We were not the best team in the second half but I believe our tactics were the cause.

We need to strengthen midfield-as our defence is passing them by and their distribution has been woeful past few weeks.

We need Pat back at LB( who will actually stand beside and mark a winger) , we need Dunlop back as last weeks first goal and todays goal was a header that should of been won by the central defender.

Most of all we need to remind our manager he’s know Pep and we are no Real Madrid- he has a failing of tinkering- trying to be too clever.

By the way a few of the boys need some training as looks like they had a better festive break than most of us!

Lets get back to basics- all still to play for....

Thought EF were decent for the first 20mins ... missed a sitter but it looked like Wallace (I think) was yards offside in the lead up. After that we took over .. Blair should’ve scored 1 on 1 ... Terry nearly reached a Webby cross on the 6 yard line and the Lewis put it away. Second half I lost count of the number of times we broke and should’ve killed the game off. Aaron only had one save of note the whole game. Lewis got MoM .. but for me Cammy was immense .. Matty running him a close second. The ref was hopeless ... booked Steeves (correctly) for exactly the same thing an EF guy did to Webby in the first half. Christ knows why SP got booked .. Wallace called the standside Lino (and I quote) .. “you are fucking useless” .. and nothing done. No matter .. another 3 points and onwards and upwards we go. Bring in a proper centre forward and I can see us kicking on further.

20 minutes ago, notsofedupendie said:

Wallace called the standside Lino (and I quote) .. “you are fucking useless” .. and nothing done. No matter.

Goodness knows what he would have said about the Referee and the farside lino.

Expected a bit more from EF today. In Dowds and Wallace they have a great front two who will always cause problems. Thought Montrose played great today and did really well to ensure 3 points were gained. Matty Allan, Cammy Ballantyne and Lewis Milne were exceptional today and they could all have won MOTM. A number or chances not taken to killed the game off in the second half. Really hope SP has his eye on a goalscorer because I really think our squad can challenge for at least play offs.