Ethical veganism protected by law

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

What conditions would you like? Shall we double the mortality and go fully free range?

You're having a laugh right? I've already stated I'd prefer them not to be bred for this purpose at all.

7 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

What conditions would you like? Shall we double the mortality and go fully free range?

Given that birds for meat are slaughtered at 6-8 weeks I'm not sure if they'll care much.

You're having a laugh right? I've already stated I'd prefer them not to be bred for this purpose at all.

So you don’t actually care about animal welfare in food production, you just don’t like the fact we do it at all? If so cut the bs about individual practices because no solution will be satisfactory.

Is it just the animals we eat that you don’t like using in food production? Are the millions killed in harvest and pest control ok?

Perhaps I have a misunderstanding of the subject, but these cows we're allowing to live because we cherish their lives - won't they reproduce once left alone, resulting in more cows which we don't have room for, nor anyone to eat them?
Moist dairy cows don't reproduce by themselves - they are nearly always artificially inseminated to ensure they are producing milk.

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

So you don’t actually care about animal welfare in food production, you just don’t like the fact we do it at all? If so cut the bs about individual practices because no solution will be satisfactory.

Is it just the animals we eat that you don’t like using in food production? Are the millions killed in harvest and pest control ok?

I've already answered everything you've just asked but suspect it would be best to end the discussion there.

13 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
3 hours ago, The Moonster said:
Perhaps I have a misunderstanding of the subject, but these cows we're allowing to live because we cherish their lives - won't they reproduce once left alone, resulting in more cows which we don't have room for, nor anyone to eat them?

Moist dairy cows don't reproduce by themselves - 

No!

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

It’s quite funny tho, cos the kids are going to be ‘don’t kill her’ but ask them if they want some chicken right after and they’ll jump at it. Even if you explain to them that they are exactly the same thing. ‘We’ve killed someone else’s pet chicken, tastes good tho eh’ ‘Aye it does dad, can I have ketchup?’

Hold on, hold on, hold on. Ketchup...on chicken? What on earth's going on here?

FWIW, Anderson's the butcher in Linlithgow puts the ear tag number of each coo and sheep on sale up on a whiteboard, along with the name of the farm, which is usually within a few miles of the town. You can't get better traceability than that.

5 hours ago, aaa said:

that's because they aren't prevented from breeding

5 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Yes, but they're feral scavengers. We're talking about cattle - simply separating the sexes would be enough.

Who would be paid to keep the cattle, let alone keep them separated? What benefit to humans would be gained from it if we weren't using their meat or milk? Economically, this would drive a mass cull before any ban on their use was implemented.

Wouldn't this be effectively driving a species towards extinction? How ethical is that?

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah, you can buy eggs that state on the box they are from caged hens. If you do, you are a w****r.

Or struggling for money......

It's also worth pointing out that you probably already do buy caged hen eggs indirectly via their use in products such as mayonnaise, etc.

10 minutes ago, sjc said:

Wouldn't this be effectively driving a species towards extinction? How ethical is that?

That's what I was wondering. If we stop using current livestock animals for food or resources, the only place you could see a cow or sheep would presumably be the zoo.

1 hour ago, sjc said:

Who would be paid to keep the cattle, let alone keep them separated? What benefit to humans would be gained from it if we weren't using their meat or milk? Economically, this would drive a mass cull before any ban on their use was implemented.

As I wrote earlier:

'I'm quite sure a society which cherishes animals' lives to such an extent that it outlaws the consumption of meat will happily allow the animals to live until they died of natural causes. People could sponsor a sheep, major firms could demonstrate their vegan credentials by saving a few thousand cows, etc. '

11 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

As I wrote earlier:

'I'm quite sure a society which cherishes animals' lives to such an extent that it outlaws the consumption of meat will happily allow the animals to live until they died of natural causes. People could sponsor a sheep, major firms could demonstrate their vegan credentials by saving a few thousand cows, etc. '

Saving them from what exactly? A prolonged descent into extinction?

Also, are you aware of the numbers of livestock involved? For example, there are more sheep in New Zealand than people! An expensive exercise in virtue signalling for someone.

4 minutes ago, sjc said:

Saving them from what exactly? A prolonged descent into extinction?

Also, are you aware of the numbers of livestock involved? For example, there are more sheep in New Zealand than people! An expensive exercise in virtue signalling for someone.

As I stated earlier, the reality is that society would likely become vegan gradually and market forces would reduce the number of cattle over decades.