Ethical veganism protected by law

We get the occasional leg of lamb + other bits and pieces (chops and mince - not too keen on the mince tbqh) from our son in law. He doesn't slaughter them himself so he must get someone local to do it.

My Dad is good friends with a retired butcher (he owned his own shop). About 10 years ago my dad was a passenger in a car that hit a deer a couple of miles from his house. The animal was fucked, so my dad went and asked the butcher if he could put it out of its misery. He did better than that......he took it home and processed the meat for eating!

9 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

What a moronic, infantile argument. Firstly whilst trends suggest the possibility that society might one day become vegan and the exploitation of animals will be an embarrassing relic of the past like child labour and slavery, it won't happen all at once and the number of livestock will diminish gradually over time. However let's humour you and examine your argument - livestock aren't that expensive to maintain, and I'm quite sure a society which cherishes animals' lives to such an extent that it outlaws the consumption of meat will happily allow the animals to live until they died of natural causes. People could sponsor a sheep, major firms could demonstrate their vegan credentials by saving a few thousand cows, etc. 

Perhaps I have a misunderstanding of the subject, but these cows we're allowing to live because we cherish their lives - won't they reproduce once left alone, resulting in more cows which we don't have room for, nor anyone to eat them?

21 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Perhaps I have a misunderstanding of the subject, but these cows we're allowing to live because we cherish their lives - won't they reproduce once left alone, resulting in more cows which we don't have room for, nor anyone to eat them?

Wolves.

45 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

On another note there is an interesting article on the BBC written by a former animal slaughterer about her time at the abattoir:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-50986683

giphy.gif

Nothing new to P&B:

NewBornBairn said: 

Worst job - worked in a slaughterhouse in Guildford when I was a teenager. I was given a sledgehammer and told to crack the cow's skulls with it. When I asked about bolt guns they laughed and said they didn't have anything so modern. All morning I killed cows. If you didn't swing the sledgehammer hard enough, the cow went fuckin' nuts and tried to break the crush. Hit the thing too hard and the sledgehammer smashed the skull and you got covered in brains. By lunchtime I was knackered, but when I got to the canteen everybody stood up and applauded. Turned out they were having a laugh with the new guy and I could have been using a bolt gun. I walked out and never went back. Didn't even ask for wages.

6 hours ago, nsr said:

That is one thing that makes me wonder about vegans. What do they think will happen to all the lovely cows and sheep if we stop eating burgers and wearing wool? Are they going to enjoy a nice long retirement on the farm before passing away of old age? The cows and sheep, I mean, not the vegans. They'll die young due to malnutrition.

i think the cows would need a bull and the sheep would need a ram

6 hours ago, nsr said:

That is one thing that makes me wonder about vegans. What do they think will happen to all the lovely cows and sheep if we stop eating burgers and wearing wool? Are they going to enjoy a nice long retirement on the farm before passing away of old age? The cows and sheep, I mean, not the vegans. They'll die young due to malnutrition.

43 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

No, they can easily be prevented from breeding. 

Noticed that they're about to start a C4 series about letting kids get used to specific farm animals but then asking them if they're willing to send it to the slaughterhouse after getting emotionally attached.
Of course, I'm sure they'll highlight to the kids that there wouldn't have been a cow to pet had they not been bred specifically for meat purposes.  Hopefully one of them will just say "I like this cow, but I also like McDonalds, so get it to the sledgehammer shed".

It’s quite funny tho, cos the kids are going to be ‘don’t kill her’ but ask them if they want some chicken right after and they’ll jump at it. Even if you explain to them that they are exactly the same thing. ‘We’ve killed someone else’s pet chicken, tastes good tho eh’ ‘Aye it does dad, can I have ketchup?’

I think Morrisons own farms and slaughterhouses so they keep it all in-house.

Source? Doesn’t seem a great way of doing business.

Would expect most supermarkets to carefully manage their supply chain but direct management seems extreme, its just not what their good at.

Where was the farm?
We noticed a huge difference in the quality of the eggs we got from our hens compared to the ones you'd get in a supermarket.
I'd say the quality of meat/dairy/eggs whatever is a fairly good indicator that the animal has been reasonably well looked after.

Badly treated animals won’t provide good produce that’s pretty obvious. Stress causes spikes in acid levels which affects everything and malnutrition is obviously going to cause problem.

Getting better quality from local/home produce vs supermarket is probably far more to do with freshness than treatment tho.

13 hours ago, sjc said:

Ask your local farmers where who they sell their livestock to. The bigger farms will probably supply the supermarkets but the smaller farms are likely to use local butchers, like the farm which my house near Alyth does. I used to get lamb and beef directly from him, via the butcher obviously.

How near Alyth is this house?  About 5,600 miles or so?

11 minutes ago, sjc said:

So can dogs but have you ever witnessed the amount of strays in third world countries?

Yes, but they're feral scavengers. We're talking about cattle - simply separating the sexes would be enough.

5 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Badly treated animals won’t provide good produce that’s pretty obvious. Stress causes spikes in acid levels which affects everything and malnutrition is obviously going to cause problem.

Badly treated animals do provide the vast majority of animal derived products though.