Ethical veganism protected by law

12 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I'm already on record in stating that WW1 was an utter clusterfuck and a war that Britain needn't have got involved in.  I'm also on record as stating that the only people who emerged with credit were Hearts and The Americans.

TBF they weren't in it long enough to build up a bad reputation

3 hours ago, aaa said:

That's why they had to put in cctv  in slaughterhouses in England, not sure if they have to in Scotland.

Don't think so - there's a shop near me selling animal-friendly stuff. They have a poster in the window calling for just this.

3 hours ago, aaa said:

That's why they had to put in cctv  in slaughterhouses in England, not sure if they have to in Scotland.

I worked on a poultry farm for a short time and it used to make me feel sick the way the birds were treated , from live day old chicks being put in a grinder to the old ones being rammed into transport boxes, their wings and legs being broken in the process.

Poultry farms are pretty bad as you say and standards for free range poultry aren't exactly great either.

The hens themselves are pretty much bred to lay as much as possible and even if they're rescued by one of the various organisations that rehome them once the usual 18 months is up they often develop health problems associated with the amount of strain that's put on their bodies from laying so much. None of our girls lived for much longer than a few years despite the fact they were well looked after. If I were going to adopt more I'd probably get them an implant to stop them from laying. At least then they might get to enjoy life for a bit longer.

32 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Don't think so - there's a shop near me selling animal-friendly stuff. They have a poster in the window calling for just this.

"We consulted on introducing compulsory video
recording of slaughter in abattoirs to make sure it
is carried out safely and humanely and will bring
forward secondary legislation next year. We will
support the industry to introduce CCTV in abattoirs
before it becomes compulsory and we will explore
the potential for new systems of calf rearing in the
dairy sector."

https://www.gov.scot/publications/protecting-scotlands-future-governments-programme-scotland-2019-20/ 

On 03/01/2020 at 17:27, Shotgun said:

This twat is obviously completely hat-stand and should be ridiculed as such. However, the floodgates for this type of nonsense were opened when the courts decreed that religious nutters shouldn't be expected to do the job they were hired for if they arbitrarily decided in interfered with their superstitious beliefs. As I recall, the gammons were all in favour that time round.

Sorry, what? 

6 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Poultry farms are pretty bad as you say and standards for free range poultry aren't exactly great either.

The hens themselves are pretty much bred to lay as much as possible and even if they're rescued by one of the various organisations that rehome them once the usual 18 months is up they often develop health problems associated with the amount of strain that's put on their bodies from laying so much. None of our girls lived for much longer than a few years despite the fact they were well looked after. If I were going to adopt more I'd probably get them an implant to stop them from laying. At least then they might get to enjoy life for a bit longer.

You're right they are just laying machines. The free range where i was had a bit better quality of life,but still pretty poor conditions,I wouldn't call them free range but a bit better than a cage I suppose.It's good people rescue the lucky ones now, it didn't happen much in my time.

9 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I bought a proper free range organic chicken from a local farm for christmas. The flavour, texture and darkness of the meat was totally different to what gets sold in supermarkets as free range. Made me wonder whether I should just buy fewer of these genuinely free range ones instead of what is in supermarkets.

Where was the farm?

We noticed a huge difference in the quality of the eggs we got from our hens compared to the ones you'd get in a supermarket.

I'd say the quality of meat/dairy/eggs whatever is a fairly good indicator that the animal has been reasonably well looked after.

4 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Gartmorn Farm, it's near Coalsnaughton in Clackmannanshire. Annoyingly they don't sell direct except at Christmas so I'll need to ask one of the farm shops near if they'll take an order for me.

I wondered if it was them, I think they're a lot better than most places.

Ask your local farmers where who they sell their livestock to. The bigger farms will probably supply the supermarkets but the smaller farms are likely to use local butchers, like the farm which my house near Alyth does. I used to get lamb and beef directly from him, via the butcher obviously.

Not sure it quite works that way. The cattle are sold at auction not direct to butchers, however a butcher buying at an auction will obviously know which farm the cow comes from. Could be wrong though.

I think Morrisons own farms and slaughterhouses so they keep it all in-house.

Noticed that they're about to start a C4 series about letting kids get used to specific farm animals but then asking them if they're willing to send it to the slaughterhouse after getting emotionally attached.

Of course, I'm sure they'll highlight to the kids that there wouldn't have been a cow to pet had they not been bred specifically for meat purposes.  Hopefully one of them will just say "I like this cow, but I also like McDonalds, so get it to the sledgehammer shed".

That is one thing that makes me wonder about vegans. What do they think will happen to all the lovely cows and sheep if we stop eating burgers and wearing wool? Are they going to enjoy a nice long retirement on the farm before passing away of old age? The cows and sheep, I mean, not the vegans. They'll die young due to malnutrition.

3 minutes ago, nsr said:

That is one thing that makes me wonder about vegans. What do they think will happen to all the lovely cows and sheep if we stop eating burgers and wearing wool? Are they going to enjoy a nice long retirement on the farm before passing away of old age? The cows and sheep, I mean, not the vegans. They'll die young due to malnutrition.

Well I don't think any of them think the world will suddenly stop eating meat and using animal products all of a sudden. So it would more be a case of herds and livestock being trimmed over time to match demand as opposed to there suddenly being a few billion animals left to their own devices.

4 hours ago, nsr said:

What a moronic, infantile argument. Firstly whilst trends suggest the possibility that society might one day become vegan and the exploitation of animals will be an embarrassing relic of the past like child labour and slavery, it won't happen all at once and the number of livestock will diminish gradually over time. However let's humour you and examine your argument - livestock aren't that expensive to maintain, and I'm quite sure a society which cherishes animals' lives to such an extent that it outlaws the consumption of meat will happily allow the animals to live until they died of natural causes. People could sponsor a sheep, major firms could demonstrate their vegan credentials by saving a few thousand cows, etc. 

On another note there is an interesting article on the BBC written by a former animal slaughterer about her time at the abattoir:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-50986683

Edited by Ralstonite

7 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Not sure it quite works that way. The cattle are sold at auction not direct to butchers, however a butcher buying at an auction will obviously know which farm the cow comes from. Could be wrong though.

I think Morrisons own farms and slaughterhouses so they keep it all in-house.

The vast majority of farms will sell their livestock at auction but not all of them and there's nothing to stop you buying directly from them and taking the animal to the butcher yourself. A hassle but possible.

11 hours ago, sjc said:

Ask your local farmers where who they sell their livestock to. The bigger farms will probably supply the supermarkets but the smaller farms are likely to use local butchers, like the farm which my house near Alyth does. I used to get lamb and beef directly from him, via the butcher obviously.

So, not directly, then...

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

So, not directly, then...

I could have worded that better! I'd arrange with the farmer to buy a box of various cuts of meat (lamb or beef) whenever he was taking a cow or lambs to the butcher for his own consumption.

He'd also sell livestock at auction too.