Ethical veganism protected by law

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

One thing I noticed is that the guy from this story looks a lot like the Iranian general that the US just killed in a drone strike.  Maybe Trump got mixed up.

Terrifying extremist

Jordi Casamitjana leaves an Employment Tribunal in Norwich after it ruled that ethical veganism is a philosophical belief and is therefore protected by law.

Martyr

Qassem Soleimani stands at the frontline during offensive operations against Islamic State militants in the town of Tal Ksaiba in Salahuddin province

mckinnon.jpg.e0645bcc0fc9e43a9eaa37e9f1576449.jpg

Trump's a big Bairn so he's his real intended target... 

As I always say I encourage more people to become veggies or vegans. 

It's in my interest- in the event of total global armageddon we may be reduced to eating each other and I want to protect my food supply on the basis that they can't eat me but I can eat them...

hannibal.jpg.f983c5a45e936c6c7f6cee47075524e7.jpg

9 hours ago, Gnash said:

I find the whole concept of protected categories pretty bizarre.  I don't think this guy should be sacked for being a vegan (maybe for being a twat), but then I don't think I should be sacked for being a Stirling Albion fan, and that's not a protected category.  Why should his ethical conviction on veganism be see as more important to employment status than my support of a Scottish League 2 football team?

Chill your boots, he’s only trying to wind people like you up.

10 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I've come across a few like that over the past few years - simplistic "meat is killing the planet" shite that ignores the reality that two-thirds of carbon emissions come from inefficient transportation and energy use.

I also wonder how he might react when you point out to him that almost all vegetable production uses some sort of organic animal waste in the shape of manure - often pig slurry.

If he genuinely is an ethical vegetarian then the only way he could guarantee it would be growing all his own food, directly sourcing all his own clothing etc etc. It's middle class posturing of the worst kind.

Most carbon emissions come from nature itself. 

I agree with your point though. It's virtue signalling.

18 hours ago, ICTChris said:

In a landmark court case, a court has ruled that ethical veganism is a philosophical belief and is therefore protected by law.  The case was brought by Jordi Casamitjana as part of an unfair dismissal claim against his former employer, the League Against Cruel Sports.  mr Casamitjana, a former employee of the League, found that the groups pension funds were investing in companies who utilise animal testing and finding his complaints getting nowhere he raised the issue with his colleagues.  Folowing this Mr Casamitjana claims he was fired because of this, the League say he was dismissed due to gross misconduct.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50981359

Ethical veganism differs from simplay following a vegan diet - people who consider themselvesr ethical vegans try and live their lives while avoiding any harm to animals, from not wearing wool or leather, to not using animal tested products.  Mr Casamitjana even says he doesn't use public transport because of the risk of insects or birds being hit by a bus or train.  The ruling states that being an ethical vegan is a protected status falling under the Equality Act - it hasn't decided on whether Mr Casamitjana was unfairly dismissed.

Are any P&Bers ethnical vegans?

Have any P&Bers ever avoided a bus trip in case it ran over an insect?

Ace Ventura will be on the case for those innocent victims of the hit and run bus.

image.gif

I’ve gone vegan as an experiment to see how it affects my fitness, weight and general well-being. While doing it I’ll do some reading up on the environmental arguments for and against as well before deciding what I keep if anything long term.
Personally I’m not comfortable with any argument that puts animal ‘rights’ in any kind of similar footing to human rights so I will continue to massacre insects driving my SUV up the A9.

3 hours ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

Personally I’m not comfortable with any argument that puts animal ‘rights’ in any kind of similar footing to human rights so I will continue to massacre insects driving my SUV up the A9.

Kenneth-Williams3.jpg

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I really don't know what possessed you to post something like this.

Was it an attempt at humour?

It was a fair comment IMO. People who bang on about how the planet is overpopulated (it is) and how we need to reduce the number of people living on it never volunteer to kill themselves; it's always somebody else/some other ethnic group who should be sacrificed.