Ethical veganism protected by law

7 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

As I stated earlier, the reality is that society would likely become vegan gradually and market forces would reduce the number of cattle over decades. 

It wouldn't be gradual though. As soon as it didn't become profitable for farmers they wouldn't keep the livestock. You see this with veal in the UK at present.

7 hours ago, sjc said:

Or struggling for money......

It's also worth pointing out that you probably already do buy caged hen eggs indirectly via their use in products such as mayonnaise, etc.

Oh I know. Theres none of us perfect. The way things are set up makes that almost impossible. I do my wee bit where I can though. And if I was skint I would just eat less eggs. I wouldnt buy ones that loudly state on the box that the animals involved have a horrific existence. 

I know it doesnt make a huge odds, just like me recycling doesnt either, but I still do it and folk that refuse to are still wankers 

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Oh I know. Theres none of us perfect. The way things are set up makes that almost impossible. I do my wee bit where I can though. And if I was skint I would just eat less eggs. I wouldnt buy ones that loudly state on the box that the animals involved have a horrific existence. 

I know it doesnt make a huge odds, just like me recycling doesnt either, but I still do it and folk that refuse to are still wankers 

Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you say in principal but when you've got people living out of food banks and 40% of America's homeless despite being in full time employment (I don't know the UK figures), principles go out the window, so i wouldn't be so quick to judge.

FWIW, I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford the choice and choose along more ethical lines. I'd also encourage others in a similar financial position to do the same but understand not everyone can.

15 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Neutering pets has a number of health benefits to them, in addition to preventing further breeding. Therefore, it's not really accurate to describe it as "harming animals" - it certainly involves hurting them, but it has a long-term benefit. It's much like many human health treatments in that way - for example getting a tooth out might hurt, but the dentist is doing it for a valid reason.

I imagine there are some vegans who would be against it, and would argue that we shouldn't make decisions for animals since we don't have agency over them,  but I would suspect that they are in the overwhelming minority.

It also increases the chances of serious disease like cancer, apparently. I get why it's done, and I'm pretty much in favour of it, I just think the line that some vegans draw is a bit sketchy.

Veganism is a choice and I have a general understanding of the sentiment behind it regarding commercial farming on an international scale.

What I don't get is the non farming aspect. If we left wild animals to go out of control (i.e. Red Deer in Scotland to use an example), they would ruin the natural biodiversity in our landscape. 

Similarly, Corn fields draw in rats. Should that go unchecked at risk of the crop?

Arable farming also relies on the off shoot of animal farming. Muck in other words. 

Palm oil is big in lots of pre prepped Vegan food. In terms of destruction, that is off the scale. 

Personally, I am happy enough in myself to have taken out some animals which have been eaten at home. Also, the dogs have been taken to work doing what they were bred for and nothing goes to waste.

Don't get me started on folk feeding Dogs a vegan diet. 

Veganism will never be the social norm whilst countries bigger than ours have dog eating festivals.