Ethical veganism protected by law

In a landmark court case, a court has ruled that ethical veganism is a philosophical belief and is therefore protected by law.  The case was brought by Jordi Casamitjana as part of an unfair dismissal claim against his former employer, the League Against Cruel Sports.  mr Casamitjana, a former employee of the League, found that the groups pension funds were investing in companies who utilise animal testing and finding his complaints getting nowhere he raised the issue with his colleagues.  Folowing this Mr Casamitjana claims he was fired because of this, the League say he was dismissed due to gross misconduct.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50981359

Ethical veganism differs from simplay following a vegan diet - people who consider themselvesr ethical vegans try and live their lives while avoiding any harm to animals, from not wearing wool or leather, to not using animal tested products.  Mr Casamitjana even says he doesn't use public transport because of the risk of insects or birds being hit by a bus or train.  The ruling states that being an ethical vegan is a protected status falling under the Equality Act - it hasn't decided on whether Mr Casamitjana was unfairly dismissed.

Are any P&Bers ethnical vegans?

Have any P&Bers ever avoided a bus trip in case it ran over an insect?

One thing I noticed is that the guy from this story looks a lot like the Iranian general that the US just killed in a drone strike.  Maybe Trump got mixed up.

Terrifying extremist

Jordi Casamitjana leaves an Employment Tribunal in Norwich after it ruled that ethical veganism is a philosophical belief and is therefore protected by law.

Martyr

Qassem Soleimani stands at the frontline during offensive operations against Islamic State militants in the town of Tal Ksaiba in Salahuddin province

His former employers did not contest that his beliefs were philosophical; only that he was not unfairly dismissed. 

Putting the case aside, not using a bus in case it kills a few insects is derangement territory.  I really fear for the bloke's reaction were he to accidentally stand on a slug or something. 

One day when I was going to school it had been raining and there were a lot of worms about on the streets and in the park as I walked to the bus stop. Just on the road next to the bus stop was the biggest worm I've ever seen. It was about a centimetre thick and at least six inches long. When my bus arrived it pulled in and started slowing right as it reached the worm, eventually parking itself right on top of where the worm had been. 

One day when I was going to school it had been raining and there were a lot of worms about on the streets and in the park as I walked to the bus stop. Just on the road next to the bus stop was the biggest worm I've ever seen. It was about a centimetre thick and at least six inches long. When my bus arrived it pulled in and started slowing right as it reached the worm, eventually parking itself right on top of where the worm had been. 
And then a man buttoned up his raincoat and got on the bus.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

One thing I noticed is that the guy from this story looks a lot like the Iranian general that the US just killed in a drone strike.  Maybe Trump got mixed up.

Terrifying extremist

Jordi Casamitjana leaves an Employment Tribunal in Norwich after it ruled that ethical veganism is a philosophical belief and is therefore protected by law.

Martyr

Qassem Soleimani stands at the frontline during offensive operations against Islamic State militants in the town of Tal Ksaiba in Salahuddin province

I actually thought the general looked more like somebody else.

Iranian general.jpg  Sean Connery Hunt for Red October.jpg

Edited by GordonD

I've come across a few like that over the past few years - simplistic "meat is killing the planet" shite that ignores the reality that two-thirds of carbon emissions come from inefficient transportation and energy use.

I also wonder how he might react when you point out to him that almost all vegetable production uses some sort of organic animal waste in the shape of manure - often pig slurry.

If he genuinely is an ethical vegetarian then the only way he could guarantee it would be growing all his own food, directly sourcing all his own clothing etc etc. It's middle class posturing of the worst kind.

14 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Does that mean he can argue people shouldnt be allowed to eat meat in front of him incase he gets upset?

Well, not that long ago two guys were done for breach of the peace for eating meat outside a vegan restaurant.

To be fair, they were scoffing raw squirrel so it might have been justified.

I don't think it's possible to eat anything without sentient life being harmed somewhere along the line. Presumably whatever vegan delights he purchases were grown on farms that kill insects and so on, and were delivered to the shop by some form of motorised vehicular conveyance.

My sister is a vegan. I now address her as Gary McSwegan.

The ability to be vegan is very much a first world privilege so the "holier than thou" vegan types really grind my gears.  This guy (who I imagine is insufferable to be around) needs a bit of perspective on the real world.

That being said the meltdowns from the Piers Morgany types (or other people who shout "triggered" and "snowflake" at people) must be quite amusing.

This twat is obviously completely hat-stand and should be ridiculed as such. However, the floodgates for this type of nonsense were opened when the courts decreed that religious nutters shouldn't be expected to do the job they were hired for if they arbitrarily decided in interfered with their superstitious beliefs. As I recall, the gammons were all in favour that time round.

“Ethical vegans” must wander about looking like Mahatma Ghandi. Seriously, he doesn’t use public transport in case the bus kills insects ? He could also kill insects riding a bike, he’ll be killing millions of microbes and bacteria every day......do they qualify as sentient ?
Load of shite.