Surprise/Unusual League Winners Across Europe

jamamafegan

• 1 year later...

Bump.

Sporting Lisbon ended the Porto/Benfica dominance in Portugal by winning their first title since 2002.

Inter have ended 9 years of Juve dominance.

Lille have just won Ligue 1 which is their first title in a decade and the 4th in their history.

Atletico Madrid have pipped Real and Barcelona to the La Liga crown.

It’s been a brilliant season for the underdogs.

This is the exact opposite of what you're looking for but I read this story the other day about Schalke's last game in their old stadium where they almost won their first title since before the Bundesliga was a thing: Schalke's Bundesliga agony: Champions for four minutes & 38 seconds - BBC Sport

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Bump.

Sporting Lisbon ended the Porto/Benfica dominance in Portugal by winning their first title since 2002.

Inter have ended 9 years of Juve dominance.

Lille have just won Ligue 1 which is their first title in a decade and the 4th in their history.

Atletico Madrid have pipped Real and Barcelona to the La Liga crown.

It’s been a brilliant season for the underdogs.

It’s been a wild season across Europe. Going into this past year the 8 longest streaks of consecutive title wins were:
Celtic, Juventus, Ludogorets (9)
Bayern (8)
APOEL, Qarabag, Salzburg (7)
Astana (6)

5/8 of these were ended this year with Celtic, Juve, APOEL, Qarabag and Astana all failing to win their leagues. In addition to the aforementioned long run of Porto/Benfica dominance in Portugal and not-so-long run of RM/Barca in Spain. It’s also good (and very funny) when anyone other than PSG win in France.

Great stuff all round, although unfortunately in most cases no fans able to experience any of it. I wonder how much the absence of atmosphere, pressure on the refs, etc for the “bigger” clubs has had an impact, or if it’s just been a fluke of a season.

Edited by Nightmare

Another unusual winner I haven’t seen mentioned in this thread is Piast Gliwice, who came from nowhere to win Poland’s Ekstraklasa in 2018/19. Their first season in the top flight in their history was in 2008/9 and they’ve never won the cup either, so this is their only major honour.

NS Mura won the Slovenian League.

Not going to pretend I know anything about them but it seems they're the "phoenix club" of NK Mura, a 1. SNL stalwart, who went bust in 2005 and have since went through two risings. They don't share any previous trophies or achievements with the previous club, nor should they, but the previous incarnation never managed to win the top division.

This is after Celje won the league for the first time last season too.

7 hours ago, Nightmare said:

It’s been a wild season across Europe. Going into this past year the 8 longest streaks of consecutive title wins were:
Bayern (8)
Astana (6)

5/8 of these were ended this year with Celtic, Juve, APOEL, Qarabag and Astana all failing to win their leagues. In addition to the aforementioned long run of Porto/Benfica dominance in Portugal and not-so-long run of RM/Barca in Spain. It’s also good (and very funny) when anyone other than PSG win in France.

Great stuff all round, although unfortunately in most cases no fans able to experience any of it. I wonder how much the absence of atmosphere, pressure on the refs, etc for the “bigger” clubs has had an impact, or if it’s just been a fluke of a season.

I think it must have had an effect. Home advantage was nullified, or at the very least, reduced, imo. 

I enjoyed seeing PSG 'fail' but they will still go straight into the group stage of the CL.

Brondby seal their first Danish Superliga title since 04/05 with a 2-0 win today. It shouldn’t be surprising that one of the biggest clubs in Denmark won the league, but given how long it’s been for them I suppose it fits in this thread.

20 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I wonder how much the absence of atmosphere, pressure on the refs, etc for the “bigger” clubs has had an impact, or if it’s just been a fluke of a season.

Can't comment much on other leagues but I think Sevco certainly benefited from no fans and it harmed Celtic. Rangers shat the bed last year when a sense of expectation (or hope) came over their fans and wilted under the pressure whereas Celtic fed on it. Without the pressure (positive or negative) coming from the stands Rangers looked more comfortable and Celtic seemed to lack motivation. 

Guest TheJTS98

Kaiserslautern won the Bundesliga in 98 as a newly-promoted side.

They had a four-season run of:

95/96: Cup winner and relegation

96/97: Promoted

97/98 Champions

98/99: Champions League quarter finals.

They then had a UEFA Cup semi-final in 2001. Now in 3. Liga.

4 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Kaiserslautern won the Bundesliga in 98 as a newly-promoted side.

They had a four-season run of:

95/96: Cup winner and relegation

96/97: Promoted

97/98 Champions

98/99: Champions League quarter finals.

They then had a UEFA Cup semi-final in 2001. Now in 3. Liga.

Almost relegated from the 3.Liga this season.

I wonder how much the absence of atmosphere, pressure on the refs, etc for the “bigger” clubs has had an impact, or if it’s just been a fluke of a season.

Uefa released a report a few days ago owhich had details on this. Away wins have increased 2% and home wins have decreased 3% from pre-pandemic results. 30 leagues had an increase in away wins, 10 had a decrease.
Pre-pandemic, away teams got 16% more yellow cards and 30% more red. The last year has seen those numbers reduce to reduce to 3% and 12% respectively. The total numbers of cards are very slightly up but not a noticeable amount.
France has the biggest swing in both away wins and cards.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2020 at 10:08, Jacksgranda said:

Aberdeen in 54/55

Spurs in 50/51

Everton in 31/32

Third Lanark in 03/04

If you want to go back that far I have to mention my own team Motherwell.

When they won the league in 1931 they were the first team out side of the Old Firm to win the league since Third Lanark in 1903-04.  Overall they were the only team to win the league outside the Old Firm between 1903-04 and 1947-48 when Hibs won it - a span of 44 years.

Whether it was a surprise or not is open to debate as they were probably the best performing team in the country over a 10 year period, it's they just seemed to like finishing 2nd or 3rd.

6 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

If you want to go back that far I have to mention my own team Motherwell.

When they won the league in 1931 they were the first team out side of the Old Firm to win the league since Third Lanark in 1903-04.  Overall they were the only team to win the league outside the Old Firm between 1903-04 and 1947-48 when Hibs won it - a span of 44 years.

Whether it was a surprise or not is open to debate as they were probably the best performing team in the country over a 10 year period, it's they just seemed to like finishing 2nd or 3rd.

At least they won it once - Airdrie just finished runners up, although they did win the cup.

On 05/06/2021 at 22:15, Robin.Hood said:

Not Europe granted.... Colon champions of Argentina. May be a first ? 

Yep. They’ve never won the Primera Division or Copa Argentina, so this is their first major honour.

Seems these “Copa de la Liga” seasons won’t count as a league title, though. The competition was set up as a contingency in place of both the regular league and cup campaigns, so this won’t count as a league title for Colon (nor did it for Boca last year).

On 24/05/2021 at 00:24, Nightmare said:

Bayern (8)
Astana (6)

Does the SPFL have the longest period that the league has not been won by one of the so called 'domestic elite' teams? 

We are now in to the 36th year since Aberdeen in 1985. I know Portugal and the Netherlands are dominated by the same 2-3 teams but it has been mentioned in this thread Boavista (2001) plus AZ and Twente (2009 &10) have disrupted that.

Can anywhere top 36yrs of the same teams winning the league?????