Worst Moment of the Last Decade, Following your Club

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Surely getting beat 1-0 in a league game can't be in a worst moment of a decade?

I had thought he had maybe meant a clean sweep of defeats across the season or something

This, I’m sure we lost all four to quite a few sides. No disrespect to Arbroath or anyone else but it was a long way down from top six spl and cup finals.

This, I’m sure we lost all four to quite a few sides. No disrespect to Arbroath or anyone else but it was a long way down from top six spl and cup finals.

Definitely not us mate [emoji23][emoji23]

Used to dread FeB and Moffat in the League 1 days. Before this season the only positive memory I have against you's was a 3-2 win at EEP and Ian Dobbins sticking the heed on one of your players (only because it was funny not because I wished harm on the guy).

The final whistle of a Fife derby at Stark's Park, March 2013.
There was a real feeling in the week leading up to that game that that was it - after that game was played, the club would never play another game. As you'd expect given the circumstances, the whole game was quite emotional and it was a very strange combination of feelings when Andy Geggan scrambled a second half equaliser from about a yard out in front of the Pars fans.
The game finished 1-1, and the final whistle was awful. Even worse when the players came up to the away end shortly afterwards and the song was 'Dunfermline til I die'. I was in tears as it came to me that actually the club was probably going to die before me.
It was a horrible day but I'm so glad I was there. The experience had quite an effect on me, and it still upsets me every time I recount what happened that day.
I'm in the minority when I say this but the end of that game gave me renewed hope that I'd not felt in months that everything would work out sound.

Wasnt a massive support we took through that day (in comparison to other times) but a just felt that we were on our knees and the players and fans alike had came out fighting.

For Arbroath it's obviously that horrendous season under Lumsden where Bobby Linn single handedly kept us from finishing bottom of League 2. I'd never seen us finish lower than 4th in my time supporting us in that division and he made an absolute cvnt of it to the extent it was just completely embarrassing.

However it's the best thing that could have happened. Bad things that happen in life really give you a kick up the arse and the club has completely transformed in every single area and aspect. Whole new bunch of people running the club and on the playing staff.

Always feel we should be or be up there with the best of the part time teams and thankfully we have now realised that potential. Can only see us sustaining a decent level too. Clubs grown in so many ways and we are so well run.

Hopefully don't ever darken the door of L2 again.

2 hours ago, diege said:

Right at the end of the decade but, Ian McCall ditching us is going to set us back years

I agree to a certain extent however it’s not so much McCall leaving as he wasn’t without his faults but more the follow up appointment. 

The second half of the last decade has not been kind to us Arabs.

Obviously the worst moment for me would have to be Mixu somehow managing to put us in a position which would alllow Dundee to confirm our relegation. From the moment the bottom 6 fixtures were announced there was a certain inevitability about it and sadly this proved to be the case.

A few close contenders also include:

The sale of Armstrong and  GMS on deadline day to our cup final opponents.

Coming home from Hamilton having narrowly lost the play off final, thus confirming another year in the Championship.

The utter damp squib that was the 2014 cup final.

Not scoring even 1 penalty in the shoot out at St Mirren last year. That was a fucking embarrassment.

Hopefully the 20s will be kind.

Ayr fans are giving me the fear here. We nearly fell through the trap door into the 4th tier of Scottish football for the first ever, during a period of the most inept management in my lifetime (Yes, worse than the Arabs, Neil Watt etc). However being 10 minutes away from the lottery of a penalty shoot out to get us to a National cup final is ahead of that :unsure2:

The Macpherson season was just appalling from start to finish so it doesn't really qualify as a "moment".  Relegation felt inevitable from around September time so I don't even think the moment relegation was confirmed counts.  Especially as I couldn't even tell you when that actually was, or who it was against.

Perhaps my view would be slightly different if I was actually at the game, but the Albion Rovers result felt more farcical than "gutting", and kind of summed up where we were at that time.  Skelton had left due to still unknown "behind the scene" issues, with Jim Thomson put in charge.  Obviously we should still have had more than enough to get past Albion, but that result just felt like a fitting pinnacle of a shambolic period rather than a devastating individual moment.  In many ways the Queens Park result this season was worse.  While we aren't world-beaters this season we are still a semi-competent Championship side with Stephen Dobbie in the ranks.  We also don't have any of the off-field issues of the Albion Rovers era.  Losing that game was fairly inexcusable and I am still seething about it now.

The Falkirk defeat was incredibly sore at the time especially as we were developing a nice little rivalry with them at the time.  It definitely deserves it's place on this thread, but we didn't disgrace ourselves, or fail to show up as we so often have in the past when there is expectation placed on us.  We were just narrowly edged out in a came that was basically 50/50.

Another narrow cup defeat that maybe deserves it's place is our 2-1 defeat at Rugby Park.  Whilst again there was no shame in the defeat it was pretty heartbreaking at the time.  After already beating Hibs that season and somehow losing to a good Dundee United side despite battering them at Palmerston we took a great crowd up to Killie and gave as good as we got despite playing most of the game with 10 men.  It probably wasn't a "worst moment of the decade" looked at rationally, but it was bloody sore at the time.  The players deserved a replay for their efforts that day.

The Partick end of season result last year probably pips them all, perhaps as it is still fresh in the memory.  The club went into PR overdrive (by their standards anyway), demanding the Dumfries public come out in support of the club as they fight to stave off relegation.  For a change the Dumfries public answered the call and were massively let down by an utterly gutless performance.  It's hard to believe we managed to stay up after that showing.

Without doubt the 4-0 Challenge Cup final loss to Livingston. One of the best pre-match parties ever followed by one of the most gutless and pathetic performances I've ever witnessed in almost 40 years of following Alloa. Wouldn't have been as bad had it been a poor Alloa squad, but they had been together for 3 or 4 years and been successful for most of it. Kinda signalled the end of the squad and brought us the disaster that was Danny Lennon 's signing policy. 

Getting relegated was bad.  Our dismal attempts at getting back up might have been worse.

Neilson’s fist pumping after 90 minutes and 120 minutes in the play off finals last season must be the most embarrassing thing of the last decade.

1 hour ago, Tamhain said:

Without doubt the 4-0 Challenge Cup final loss to Livingston. One of the best pre-match parties ever followed by one of the most gutless and pathetic performances I've ever witnessed in almost 40 years of following Alloa. Wouldn't have been as bad had it been a poor Alloa squad, but they had been together for 3 or 4 years and been successful for most of it. Kinda signalled the end of the squad and brought us the disaster that was Danny Lennon 's signing policy. 

That's a good call. The pre-match was superb with all the fans in the club and a brilliant atmosphere then everyone walking to the ground in the sun. The kind of classic cup final build up that we don't tend to experience as Alloa fans! Performance was so poor from what was a terrific Alloa team. Livingston got their tactics spot on but we just didn't turn up. 

I'd put forward the late collapse at the end of 2009/10. After going unbeaten for months and beating Stirling 4 times, the title was within our grasp. To then lose 3 games in a row and finish 2nd on goal difference was a cruel blow. The irony too of Iain Russell going to Stirling on loan and firing them to success after he had agreed to sign for us only for it to fall through. That was all pretty grim, but the following season turned into a proper nightmare as we imploded after Christmas and managed to get relegated despite having a half decent squad. Leaving the Recs after the relegation to Division 3 was a real low.

With hindsight though, all of the above was something of a blessing because without it Paul Hartley would not have been appointed that summer and our arguably greatest era would not have happened. And we also had the last laugh on Iain Russell too with him missing a penalty in front of the Alloa faithful in a promotion play-off 😏.

Edited by Waspie

As a Pars fan, the worst moment(s) were obviously the fears of our club dying. Each time any news broke regarding our administration, we would fear the worst.

In terms of the worst I’ve felt at a match, the playoff loss to Cowdenbeath is probably top of the list for me.

19 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Sean Dillon attempting to hook a dangerous ball away only to blooter himself in the coupon allowing the striker to tap into an empty net surrounded by by the home fans desperately trying to stifle a snigger. Knew then it was the end of a Utd legend.

18 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I hope @stumigoo doesn’t know where you live.

It's okay, it was probably one of my worst moments of the last ten years, the other also involving Dillon and the abuse he got after the Hamilton playoff final. To see five or six obese middle aged men sponsored by Stone Island, foaming at the mouth accusing Dillon of "not giving a f**k" (and then me losing the plot a little bit) will stay with me for a long, long time.

The relegation season was awful, but like Granny I think that there have been moments in the last few years that have felt worse (or made me more angry). I'm sure on the night the Dundee defeat (and I was there until the end) was one of the worst moments of my football life but I was already resigned to relegation. Since then I have experienced some truly horrific displays and real poisonous experiences both home and away. The Laszlo approach to the Livi playoff second leg and the performance that night was embarrassing. The Wato meltdown was an absolute minter and we have had a few other highly embarrassing moments. Also numerous trips to Alloa and Ayr, as well as our recent trip to Dumfries.

The atmosphere at the club and within the fan base during Laszlo's final few months and the Thompson/Martin handover was also a horrific period of time.

4 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

The Partick end of season result last year probably pips them all, perhaps as it is still fresh in the memory.  The club went into PR overdrive (by their standards anyway), demanding the Dumfries public come out in support of the club as they fight to stave off relegation.  For a change the Dumfries public answered the call and were massively let down by an utterly gutless performance.  It's hard to believe we managed to stay up after that showing.

It's not so difficult when you watched how fucking dire Raith Rovers were/are.

Ayr fans are giving me the fear here. We nearly fell through the trap door into the 4th tier of Scottish football for the first ever, during a period of the most inept management in my lifetime (Yes, worse than the Arabs, Neil Watt etc). However being 10 minutes away from the lottery of a penalty shoot out to get us to a National cup final is ahead of that :unsure2:

As far as actual moments go there’s none that I can remember in the 14-15 season. Unlike the cup semi final when Shiels scored or when Moore missed his penalty.

I can remember a lot of the matches though. Particularly Roberts last game when Colin McMenamin scored a hat trick against us.

It's not so difficult when you watched how fucking dire Raith Rovers were/are.

To be honest we were so awful against Thistle that I was concerned that Montrose would put us out before we even needed to consider a further opponent. Montrose deservedly beat us at Links Park but we pretty quickly put the tie to bed in the 2nd leg being 5-0 up after 40 minutes

It's okay, it was probably one of my worst moments of the last ten years, the other also involving Dillon and the abuse he got after the Hamilton playoff final. To see five or six obese middle aged men sponsored by Stone Island, foaming at the mouth accusing Dillon of "not giving a f**k" (and then me losing the plot a little bit) will stay with me for a long, long time.
The relegation season was awful, but like Granny I think that there have been moments in the last few years that have felt worse (or made me more angry). I'm sure on the night the Dundee defeat (and I was there until the end) was one of the worst moments of my football life but I was already resigned to relegation. Since then I have experienced some truly horrific displays and real poisonous experiences both home and away. The Laszlo approach to the Livi playoff second leg and the performance that night was embarrassing. The Wato meltdown was an absolute minter and we have had a few other highly embarrassing moments. Also numerous trips to Alloa and Ayr, as well as our recent trip to Dumfries.
The atmosphere at the club and within the fan base during Laszlo's final few months and the Thompson/Martin handover was also a horrific period of time.

I went to a fair few games with my mates over the time period with Laszlo / Thompson etc and the place was absolutely toxic

One game there was honestly a dozen middle aged men standing at the bottom of the lower ET, right behind the boards, just screaming up towards Thompson usually sits. Awful abuse

Any mistakes made by the players and the fans were going absolutely ape shit

Was at the game Gunning walked off too which was the most surreal thing I've seen at the football and the game where the big central midfielder chap went off in a huff after arguing with Durnan too. Some carry on [emoji23]