Worst Moment of the Last Decade, Following your Club

Some notable lowlights:

- Losing 2-1 to Rangers at the end of season 2016/17. The game itself meant little in the grand scheme of things, but the nature of the defeat was really tough to take. Especially as we had already chucked a game to them earlier in the season in similar circumstances. I’ve never really recovered from the trauma of this game.

- Losing 5-1 to Kilmarnock early  in December 2017. This was the day Archibald should have been sacked. It was just the most disgraceful capitulation and it summed up what we had become. Had we acted then, we would have had a fighting chance of surviving.

- Appointing Gary Caldwell. Such a calamitous appoint in so many ways. It will be some time before the damage he has done to our support and club is fully repaired. 

- Jacqui Lowe’s involvement in the club. The woman exudes incompetence and toxicity. 

Alright well since we’re going for actual moments.

1. Craig McCracken putting Talbot ahead in the Scottish Cup. I knew we were never coming back from that as we had been gash up to that point and we didn’t have Shankland to get us out a hole.

2. Dean Shiels goal in ET at Hampden. Like the Talbot game I knew we weren’t coming back. Brian Reid’s tactics split our fan base with some thinking we should’ve had a go at them and others saying had we done so Killie would simply have won by more. All I’ll say is that was a crap game to sit through in what was our biggest game since the Cup Final a decade earlier.

3. Craig Moore’s penalty against Alloa. This is a bit of a cheat as we still managed to win the league the following week but I was certain we’d blown it here. A makeshift Ayr team went up to the Indodrill only needing a point to essentially win the league. We went 2-0 down in the first half and our brilliant season was collapsing all around us. Moore got one back for us early on I think before we got the softest of penalties and a chance to equalise. Craig Moore stepped up, the best goals to minute striker in the league who had been very good from the spot that season, and absolutely battered right over the bar and out of Clackmannanshire. Alloa sat in and got the 3 points whilst we were talking about ripping up our best team in years and sacking McCall. Thank f**k we won it the next week.

4. Greg Stewart scoring after 9 seconds in the playoffs. Bit of context here. We played Cowdenbeath in the playoff semi finals midweek at Somerset and despite losing 2-1 I was mildly optimistic as Greg Stewart and Kane Hemmings aside, I thought they were pretty poor and we could get back into the tie at Central Park. Only took 9 seconds to prove me wrong. We went on to lose the game 3-1 and the tie 5-2.

Can’t really think of any other moments apart from that. The relegations were shite but it was rarely a single moment and more a culmination of them.

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Alright well since we’re going for actual moments.

1. Craig McCracken putting Talbot ahead in the Scottish Cup. I knew we were never coming back from that as we had been gash up to that point and we didn’t have Shankland to get us out a hole.

2. Dean Shiels goal in ET at Hampden. Like the Talbot game I knew we weren’t coming back. Brian Reid’s tactics split our fan base with some thinking we should’ve had a go at them and others saying had we done so Killie would simply have won by more. All I’ll say is that was a crap game to sit through in what was our biggest game since the Cup Final a decade earlier.

3. Craig Moore’s penalty against Alloa. This is a bit of a cheat as we still managed to win the league the following week but I was certain we’d blown it here. A makeshift Ayr team went up to the Indodrill only needing a point to essentially win the league. We went 2-0 down in the first half and our brilliant season was collapsing all around us. Moore got one back for us early on I think before we got the softest of penalties and a chance to equalise. Craig Moore stepped up, the best goals to minute striker in the league who had been very good from the spot that season, and absolutely battered right over the bar and out of Clackmannanshire. Alloa sat in and got the 3 points whilst we were talking about ripping up our best team in years and sacking McCall. Thank f**k we won it the next week.

4. Greg Stewart scoring after 9 seconds in the playoffs. Bit of context here. We played Cowdenbeath in the playoff semi finals midweek at Somerset and despite losing 2-1 I was mildly optimistic as Greg Stewart and Kane Hemmings aside, I thought they were pretty poor and we could get back into the tie at Central Park. Only took 9 seconds to prove me wrong. We went on to lose the game 3-1 and the tie 5-2.

Can’t really think of any other moments apart from that. The relegations were shite but it was rarely a single moment and more a culmination of them.

FireShot Capture 006 - BBC iPlayer - Scottish League One - A_ - https___www.bbc.co.uk_iplayer_epis.png

Letting Todd Lumsden leave with Allan Moore, then having him as caretaker manager, until the end of the season, then giving him the job permanently and not sacking him earlier than we did

Last season's last day defeat against Partick Thistle is probably up there too.

It was such an atrocious performance and a resounding defeat with high stakes. At the time I couldn't see us safely negotiating the play-offs we'd been condemned to.

Conceding in the 2nd leg of the playoff final. We were still just about in the tie despite shitting the bed in the first leg but that soft goal conceded right after halftime was the nail in the coffin, given how dogged Livi were up to that point. Fair enough it may not have stopped the rot and perhaps if we'd saved up it would have served only to paper over the cracks before we were straight back in the shit the next season, but as it is we've been drudging away ever since that game, with a fair chunk of the football along the way being a miserable, heartless experience as we cling desperately to avoid seaside league status.

Always had the fear that we'd struggle to get straight back up and reverse the rot, and so it has come to pass... had we scraped past Livi maybe we'd have been able to put together a half decent team again in the top flight.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

For me the worst and best moments of the last decade were at almost the same point. Waiting for the Court of Session decision to confirm if the club would go on was horrific...hearing on the news walking home from work that Masterton had lost and the club would survive was also one of the 'best' moments...it's not been a great decade for the Pars 😀

Last decade was pretty terrible for Dundee fans. Highlight was the incredible unbeaten run that came from, um, financial mismanagement and an administration that threatened to put us out of business. Promotion was nice as well, but it's more the fact of how we managed to get on a steady footing then hand the reigns to a succession of disasters after Hartley's time was up that sticks in the memory more.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

For us, the relegation season under Gus was pretty Hellish, but represented more of an inexorable slide than a moment.

Losing to Falkirk at home in the Scottish Cup Quarter Final was a bad one.  That was a bloody good Queens side and the competition opened up after we'd beaten the holders.  I don't see us having another chance that good to get to Hampden again, anytime soon.

Still with the Cup, losing at Albion Rovers when a home tie with Celtic awaited, was also very grim. 

It was a good side but we shot ourselves in the foot with that one. First of all Baird was allowed to leave in January with nobody replacing him. Then Lyle got himself sent off in the game before the Cup-tie. With Reilly recovering from injury we had one fully fit striker available. Of course, the wind didn’t help and we may have lost anyway, but it is even more disappointing wondering how we would have done if Lyle hadn’t been so stupid and/or we’d signed somebody to replace Baird (and who was eligible to play).

From when Jim Jeffries took over until Alan Johnson arrived.

Club nearly died.

Losing to Alloa in the playoffs after only needing a draw against Airdrie who were already relegated. It all just seemed inevitable.

Losing to Cowdenbeath in the playoffs.

Getting grannied by Arbroath and similar sides.

The John Potter era.

Neil McCann thinking he was a decent coach.

Only plus was Falkingham, Geggan and the few months in the championship where we actually looked not bad.

The Cowdenbeath game was probably the low point though, we were totally outclassed and tbh they had some very decent players.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

For us, the relegation season under Gus was pretty Hellish, but represented more of an inexorable slide than a moment.

Losing to Falkirk at home in the Scottish Cup Quarter Final was a bad one.  That was a bloody good Queens side and the competition opened up after we'd beaten the holders.  I don't see us having another chance that good to get to Hampden again, anytime soon.

Still with the Cup, losing at Albion Rovers when a home tie with Celtic awaited, was also very grim. 

And you're going against your own thread title, as are several others "Worst MOMENT" surely means picking one specific moment not a selection.  Also I don't think it's been fully clarified if we would actually have been drawn against Celtic if we had beaten Albion Rovers if teams were numbered alphabetically in the draw. Anyway, for my pick  I'll agree with one of your picks though,   the cup defeat to Falkirk. 

My recollection was it was a postponed game so the draw had been made.

It was scores level, up against 10 men, into injury time, Albion were clinging on, and we had a corner. One unnecessary foul by us, a quick kick out and the ball was in the back of our net.

Head in hands.......

4 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Sean Dillon attempting to hook a dangerous ball away only to blooter himself in the coupon allowing the striker to tap into an empty net surrounded by by the home fans desperately trying to stifle a snigger. Knew then it was the end of a Utd legend.

3-3 draw against us.

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Sean Dillon attempting to hook a dangerous ball away only to blooter himself in the coupon allowing the striker to tap into an empty net surrounded by by the home fans desperately trying to stifle a snigger. Knew then it was the end of a Utd legend.

I hope @stumigoo doesn’t know where you live.