Worst Moment of the Last Decade, Following your Club

22 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

To be honest we were so awful against Thistle that I was concerned that Montrose would put us out before we even needed to consider a further opponent. Montrose deservedly beat us at Links Park but we pretty quickly put the tie to bed in the 2nd leg being 5-0 up after 40 minutes

Absolutely this, and had Naysmith stayed in charge we undoubtedly would have been relegated by Montrose.

35 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Montrose deservedly beat us at Links Park but we pretty quickly put the tie to bed in the 2nd leg being 5-0 up after 40 minutes

You think? As much as we weren't great that night I thought they were lucky to win at Links Park. They troubled us twice all night and scored twice, thanks to Campbell reacting far quicker to rebounds than a static defence, but they offered little else. I thought they were far better in the Challenge Cup and Scottish Cup ties a year before. I always thought a lot of the general depression around the 1st leg result in reality stemmed from the Thistle game. I was always confident we'd do the business in the 2nd leg.

22 minutes ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Something that has stuck with me was the very sad passing of Chris Mitchell. You truly never know what is happening in another persons head ☹️

That's a very good shout actually. I didn't really think about it as it was "off pitch" but the moment I heard about Mitch is easily the worst moment of the last decade. He was a friend and it genuinely knocked me sideways. RIP Mitch. 😥

29 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You think? As much as we weren't great that night I thought they were lucky to win at Links Park. They troubled us twice all night and scored twice, thanks to Campbell reacting far quicker to rebounds than a static defence, but they offered little else. I thought they were far better in the Challenge Cup and Scottish Cup ties a year before. I always thought a lot of the general depression around the 1st leg result in reality stemmed from the Thistle game*. I was always confident we'd do the business in the 2nd leg.

* it being 2 wins and 12 defeats from 16 league /play-off games.

My memory of the 1st leg play off match at Montrose is that they also hit the underside of the bar when leading 2-1 and after the game I was happy we were only 1 down. As SD says inevitably some of the negativity around the result stemmed from the awful display against Thistle and the dreadful run of form we had managed to get us in trouble in the first place. Academic given we turned the deficit round easily against Montrose and then beat Raith over 2 games in the final play off match.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

My memory of the 1st leg play off match at Montrose is that they also hit the underside of the bar when leading 2-1 and after the game I was happy we were only 1 down. As SD says inevitably some of the negativity around the result stemmed from the awful display against Thistle and the dreadful run of form we had managed to get us in trouble in the first place. Academic given we turned the deficit round easily against Montrose and then beat Raith over 2 games in the final play off match.

I've just been back and watched the highlights of both legs just to put a smile on my face. I'd completely forgotten Terry Masson hit the bar late on so fair enough. However, Lyndon Dykes also smashed one off the post at 0-0 and he and Todd missed when clean through first half too. It wasn't a great game but I don't recall Montrose being any more deserving of winning it than us. They took more chances though and did win it. As you say, matters not now.

11 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I've just been back and watched the highlights of both legs just to put a smile on my face. 

...slithering past a bunch of plumbers and fishermen, having slumped to 9th in an utterly rancid division in the first place. 

IMG_0513.jpg.b1f6aeecf234cc930556b64f0c4c130b.jpg

The worst moment in a fairly shameful decade for us was losing 5-1 to Cowdenbeath on 19 October 2013. This was less than a month after the same Morton 'team' had hilariously turfed Celtic out of the League Cup on their own, horrible midden, but this fixture was the final exclamation mark on just how diabolical the 13-14 squad was and confirmed that relegation was on the cards: every result beyond that point felt pretty meaningless except for comedy value. The club should have just folded then and there on the spot IMO.

Lows involvement with the club

Low appointing Caldwell

Gary Caldwell

Caldwell’s disgraceful dumping of Dolan in his testimonial year and announcing it on Twitter prior to Doolan having the chance of informing his family, all sanctioned by the board at the time. 

I've probably missed a f**k ton but what first comes to mind are:

Cowden play off. The missus' first game, great atmosphere inside pre match and in Charlie Ds and within 10 seconds it's all gone to utter shit. Worst still getting news I didn't get an amazing apartment on the way home for my last year at uni summed it up. An utter shutter of a day.

Losing to Dumbarton 4 3 after being a few up. Fans fighting with each other, the PA system piping in fake crowd chants, standing pitch side with DA thinking we'd never ever be back there. A whole evening out in town of self wallowing.

The whole fucking SPL season under McIntyre, thinking we'd go a whole season without a home win until Aberdeen hilariously gifted us one.

Seeing us play out a 1 all draw in Brechin midweek, coldest I'd ever felt at a game and Potter in charge who had less of a clue than anyone I'd ever seen before. Long high balls to Barrowman with nobody near him if he won a header. Anger inducing pishness of the lowest level.

On 05/01/2020 at 13:19, Stellaboz said:

The whole fucking SPL season under McIntyre

I'll not deny we were terrible that season and miles out of our depth with that squad and manager but I enjoyed plenty of that year. Crowds were a bit louder than normal, got to visit a few grounds I hadn't been to in a while and Austin McCann's goal at Hibs was absolute scenes.

This season also coincided with my 1st year at Uni so that probably has more to do with my happy memories.

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

I'll not deny we were terrible that season and miles out of our depth with that squad and manager but I enjoyed plenty of that year. Crowds were a bit louder than normal, got to visit a few grounds I hadn't been to in a while and Austin McCann's goal at Hibs was absolute scenes.
This season also coincided with my 1st year at Uni so that probably has more to do with my happy memories.
Funnily enough, I was first year too. However, didn't get to many games except the Friday night murderings at Pitoddrie.

19 hours ago, Stellaboz said:
20 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Funnily enough, I was first year too. However, didn't get to many games except the Friday night murderings at Pitoddrie.

Was there a Friday night or midweek game at Motherwell? We lost to 10 men I think. Had a superb night out after that one, despite being raging at the team.