Your worst moment last decade following your club

1 hour ago, Dave1875 said:

Couldn’t buy a win, Fenlon gets papped

It gets lost among the car crash that was the 2013/14 season that we actually made an okay start to that season.

When Fenlon left, we were sixth in the league, with 15 points after 11 games. Nothing too impressive, but only 5 points behind 2nd placed Aberdeen.

What killed him was yet another defeat to Hearts in the League Cup, in front of a big, expectant Easter Road crowd.

And we battered them that night, we should've won about 5-0 but, as is so often, we contrived to lose 1-0 from a long range screamer.

Fenlon resigned because of the fan pressure, but before that defeat I'd say almost no Hibs fan was seriously wanting him gone. The 2012/13 season had, all things considered, been a pretty good one. Losing 7-0 is obviously always a minter, but Malmo were a fantastic side who were halfway to winning the Allsvenskan that season and were in the CL group stages the year after. Their being in the Europa League qualifying rounds that early on was an anomaly, really.

TLDR; Fenlon was alright and we wouldn't have gone down that season if we'd beaten Hearts that night. He'd have stayed and we would've had a mediocre midtable finish.

Motherwell 3-0 St Johnstone in the Scottish cup semi final by a distance for me. 
Horrific performance, no redeeming features to the day whatsoever, and it felt at that time we’d never make it past that stage of the cup having now lost 3 Scottish Cup semis in 5 years, and I think 2 league cup semis on top of that. 
The Aberdeen and Hibs semi finals were shite, but at least they were in Edinburgh, at a packed stadium, and had a bit of a buzz about them pre match. And it wasn’t the big cup, so the carrot of European football wasn’t lost. 
Honourable mentions to Minsk and Alashkert, two horrific teams, especially Minsk, who we should have knocked out at a canter.
I'd agree with all of that, although against Alashkert we were badly weakened by injuries. Tam Scobbie and Macca in midfield and Chris Kane on the left wing....

That cup tie at Ibrox when newco played their first big team. . Full team shat themselves before the game  even started.  You could tell in the first 5 mins we were gonna f**k it. Panic defending , players all over the place.  Never been so angry and embarrassed with my team.  Sat right on the very edge of our support getting pelters  from those bassas was not good. . Made up for it the hampden semi  though as they left at 2 nil down.

Easy: 2010 League Cup Final. 

Whenever I think about it, my body kindly recreates the punch to the stomach I felt when Miller's goal went in.

I then had to drive back to Newcastle with my then girlfriend. She didn't fucking understand and kept trying to talk to me. We'd split up by the start of May [emoji23] (different reasons, but still, it felt symptomatic.)

I spent the Sunday night after the game at a birthday party with armchair Rangers fans and then got a 9 hour flight home at 6am on the Monday. Shite doesn’t even come close.

2013 on the other hand............made it all worth it.

On 06/01/2020 at 10:31, Dave1875 said:

The relegation season. Could tell it would be a bad season as soon as Malmo withdrew their length and left us a quivering mess without so much as a thank you.

Couldn’t buy a win, Fenlon gets papped and we get all excited like virgin brides on their wedding nights when Butcher... sorry.. just saying that man’s name makes me shudder still... was appointed. Turns out he’s nothing more than a bully, he all but ruined Alex Harris’ Hibs career and all but destroyed the club. Literally the only bright spot was the 2-1 win vs Hearts under the lights at ER.

Was confident of survival until Accies scored their first in the 2nd leg... just knew we’d fucked it from then on

Shows how bad that team really was when we needed Hearts starting with -15 to not finish bottom

I had no issue with our relegation in 2014. Totally and utterly deserved.  Hearts were already doomed in the August but we deserved to go with them.

Hamilton was the final insult but appointing that dickhead Butcher when we were sitting 6th and then being told for months that we just needed one win to be safe was just mind boggling. Fat Boyd scoring at Easter Road to make Killie safe was the end, I knew we werent getting through the play offs.

On 03/01/2020 at 08:55, djchapsticks said:

No chance for me. Relegation and promotions happen. We are probably always going to be that sort of club and to get relegated on penalties, whilst it would be a sickener, is just one of those things that we are always at risk of. 

However, you will never, ever again have a situation where you have one of the ugly sisters by the balls in a cup final, they are down to 9 men and there are 20 minutes to play. It's literally once in a lifetime. You've been the better side at 11 v 11 and 11 v 10 and now you KNOW it's going to happen, that this is the moment you get to show up one of the arse cheeks on a national stage... Then on that second red, you panic, you can feel that the players now know what's in front of them and they now struggle.... Gus in the last 5 minutes was happy to get to extra time and tire them out further but then we shit the bed to an extent that made Spud from Trainspotting look like he'd had a wee wet fart in comparison. 

I fell out with my mates and everything that day because they said I was out of order for not staying behind and applauding the team. That they deserved credit for getting that far. I’ve never, ever spat the dummy at a game of football before or since to the extent I did that day. It was absolutely harrowing. 

Folk say winning the LC three years later exorcised that ghost but did it f**k, nothing will. That should have been our 2nd league Cup in 4 seasons. 

This felt like it was important therapy to get this out on paper.

On 02/01/2020 at 14:48, RussellAnderson said:

Scottish Cup Final 2017.

The realisation that we probably couldn’t have played any better on the day, and we still weren’t good enough. We were losing three or four of our best players and didn’t look like we’d adequately replace them. The sense that this was probably as good as it gets and we should fucking give up. I was so proud of the team, but the subsequent seasons showed that we’d peaked and weren’t going to be able to keep up the pace against Celtic (and eventually the ****), and we’d missed our opportunity to win a few trophies.

I was so proud of the team, but with hindsight it fucking hurts. That moment where Hayes put the cross behind McLean to make it 2-1 us is the moment I can’t bear to watch again.

There are obviously much shitter moments in the decade, but that final epitomises the McInnes era. So close, but so far.

I was literally about to post the exact same thing.  Thinking about that chance still hurts.  

9 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

I remember being raging that I missed that game due to a mates wedding, getting updates via twitter was bad enough but sounds like it was for the best if it was that depressing at the end.

It hurt much more than the winner. We would have been murdered in extra time as we were dead on our feet. That chance was THE chance and everyone of a Dons persuasion knew it at the time.

ETA - meant to quote Northernlights

Edited by Dons_1988

My worst moment was when the ninth goal went in at Celtic Park. I was listening on the radio and there were 5 minutes of the 90 left. In my mind, 9 was awful, abysmal, shocking, unacceptable, dreadful, but 10 would have been off the f*ck*ng scale. I was standing in my living room absolutely screaming for the final whistle to keep it to 9. One of the longest 5 minutes of my life.

My worst moment was when the ninth goal went in at Celtic Park. I was listening on the radio and there were 5 minutes of the 90 left. In my mind, 9 was awful, abysmal, shocking, unacceptable, dreadful, but 10 would have been off the f*ck*ng scale. I was standing in my living room absolutely screaming for the final whistle to keep it to 9. One of the longest 5 minutes of my life.

I think it might have been the closest I ever came to going “full radge” on the laptop I was listening to that on.

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 19:51, kingjoey said:

My mate was at it!

I don't think I'd have got past 5.