Your worst moment last decade following your club

Losing 2-0 away to Accies in 2018 when I was both the most hungover and most miserable about non footballing stuff I've ever been at a football match.  That fucking Accies jobber with two names scoring a backheel and Carl McHugh passing to the opposition for 90 minutes were unsurprisingly not much of a pick me up.

I'm sure I was also genuinely seething at @Im_Rodger's Trump patter after the game :lol:

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

20 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm trying to work out whether, if we'd lost that shoot-out to Dundee Utd last season, that would have been worse than 2010 for us. I actually think it might have been, despite the shitebaggery we displayed against the old Rangers that time. As you say, a cup loss (sort of) disappears; Saints fans like to pretend it didn't happen at all. But there's no erasing relegation from your mind.

No chance for me. Relegation and promotions happen. We are probably always going to be that sort of club and to get relegated on penalties, whilst it would be a sickener, is just one of those things that we are always at risk of. 

However, you will never, ever again have a situation where you have one of the ugly sisters by the balls in a cup final, they are down to 9 men and there are 20 minutes to play. It's literally once in a lifetime. You've been the better side at 11 v 11 and 11 v 10 and now you KNOW it's going to happen, that this is the moment you get to show up one of the arse cheeks on a national stage... Then on that second red, you panic, you can feel that the players now know what's in front of them and they now struggle.... Gus in the last 5 minutes was happy to get to extra time and tire them out further but then we shit the bed to an extent that made Spud from Trainspotting look like he'd had a wee wet fart in comparison. 

I fell out with my mates and everything that day because they said I was out of order for not staying behind and applauding the team. That they deserved credit for getting that far. I’ve never, ever spat the dummy at a game of football before or since to the extent I did that day. It was absolutely harrowing. 

Folk say winning the LC three years later exorcised that ghost but did it f**k, nothing will. That should have been our 2nd league Cup in 4 seasons. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Easily this.

Being papped out the cup to Albion Rovers, the Stjarnan debacle, getting reamed 7-0 live on national telly on the last day of the season at Parkhead, capitulating in the 7-1 at Ibrox, the 7-2 at Pittodrie and McGhee's headsgone, the 5-0 New Year game against Accies...all pretty, pretty shite but ultimately the sort of thing that you can kind of take on the chin and put down to a poor performance and simply not showing up.

McCall sat in front of the media with his side at the top of the league tugging his forelock and kowtowing to a new club playing in the Third Division who had up to that point drawn with Peterhead, Berwick Rangers, Annan Athletic and were beaten by Stirling Albion in their fixture after the cup tie...absolutely f**k that.

780589395_ScreenShot2020-01-02at10_35_32.png.f669ed8e0e872344941db0a6efd02b24.png

Surely one of our biggest bottle jobs was the League Cup QF v Aberdeen at Fir Park in 2013/14? Celtic got knocked out at home v Morton the night before and I think Rangers were out too. Probably the best chance we ever had to win a cup since we still had a half decent team. Aberdeen got someone sent off after 10 minutes, we dominated for the rest of the game and inevitably lost 2-0 and they went on to win the cup. Still annoyed about that one because it's a perfect summary of the bottle jobs McCall regularly presided over.

42 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

No chance for me. Relegation and promotions happen. We are probably always going to be that sort of club and to get relegated on penalties, whilst it would be a sickener, is just one of those things that we are always at risk of. 

However, you will never, ever again have a situation where you have one of the ugly sisters by the balls in a cup final, they are down to 9 men and there are 20 minutes to play. It's literally once in a lifetime. You've been the better side at 11 v 11 and 11 v 10 and now you KNOW it's going to happen, that this is the moment you get to show up one of the arse cheeks on a national stage... Then on that second red, you panic, you can feel that the players now know what's in front of them and they now struggle.... Gus in the last 5 minutes was happy to get to extra time and tire them out further but then we shit the bed to an extent that made Spud from Trainspotting look like he'd had a wee wet fart in comparison. 

I fell out with my mates and everything that day because they said I was out of order for not staying behind and applauding the team. That they deserved credit for getting that far. I’ve never, ever spat the dummy at a game of football before or since to the extent I did that day. It was absolutely harrowing. 

Folk say winning the LC three years later exorcised that ghost but did it f**k, nothing will. That should have been our 2nd league Cup in 4 seasons. 

😂

Ok, when you put it like that 😂

15 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Atmosphere was class that day until it started to be obvious we weren’t going to turn up, and then it turned in to one of the most poisonous Saints supports I’ve been a part of. The abuse Swanson especially was getting was horrific, especially considering it was his debut.
The wee chubby baller certainly shut them up over the rest of the season :wub:

It was. There was almost like a bizarre 'we're a big team, we just have to turn up' attitude amongst some of the Saints support that day.  And quite a few really turned against the team, booing and launching lumps of ice onto the park. As you say wee Danny took a lot of stick, shows how brilliant he was for us that he turned it round to become such a popular player for us.  I think everyone being blootered was a big part of it though!

Its funny how it's often a lot of day trippers seem to feel they are owed a victory. Folk that don't go to a lot of games but make a day of it for bigger matches, semifinals etc and get more annoyed than a lot of regular supporters when the team ruins their day.  I think the Aberdeen semi at Tynecastle had a few like that as well. I'm sure our stand in keeper Steve Banks took a lot of abuse and some Saints fan threw a seat at him.  

16 hours ago, HibsFan said:

You'd have been welcome to play us in Oct-Nov time if you'd wanted, Hibs were in the middle of a seventeen game unbeaten run between late August and late December, winning 15 and drawing just 2. This included knocking the wind out of the sails of Derek McInnes' 8-in-a-row Aberdeen side under the lights at Easter Road.

I think it would've been much the same outcome, because Stubbs was a fantastic cup manager, and our squad was clearly better than yours in spite of the division gap.

The difference was we were beating Utd, Aberdeen and Kilmarnock, Hibs were beating Alloa, Raith Rovers, Falkirk and Dumbarton.

Water under the bridge now. We were shite in that semi-final in the January and your lot deserved their crack at Ross County..

On 02/01/2020 at 11:16, craigkillie said:

1. Killie 0-2 Connah's Quay Nomads.

No contest. Going out of Europe to a bunch of clowns after all the work we had put into qualifying. Even worse because we had a fright away from home but turned it round to win. All we needed to do was draw or lose 1-0 at home. The performance wasn't even that bad - Greg Taylor missed two sitters and O'Donnell hit the post in the first half. The biggest problem was that we tried to win the game rather than just settling on the 0-0 that they'd come to play for.

2. Killie 2-4 Hibs (2013)

It is astonishing that we've now gone 22 years without a Scottish Cup semi final. This was our biggest chance - Hibs were on the slide and we were clearly a better team than them. We didn't turn up and went behind twice but managed to get it back to 2-2 with less than 20 minutes to go, only for clown car defending to give Leigh Griffiths two goals.

3. Killie 1-1 Aberdeen [2-3 pens] (2018)

Also a Scottish Cup quarter-final. We managed to salvage a draw up at Pittodrie and brought them back for a midweek replay in front of a big crowd. Was a fairly nervy game, but we finally went ahead in extra time thanks to Stephen O'Donnell running 90 yards from an Aberdeen corner to get on the end of a cross. It only lasted about 5 minutes before Aberdeen got a softish penalty and equalised. Near the end, Brophy had a goal disallowed for offside which looked very much on. Once it went to penalties the outcome was inevitable - we have the worst record in Scotland (W2 L11 now) and it showed.

Number one I agree with completely, that's definitely down there in terms of all-time worst moments. In between your 2 and 3 I'd add the first game of the 2016 playoffs when we dominated Falkirk and they beat us 1-0 in the last minute - it truly felt like the trapdoor might be about to open beneath our feet. Thankfully we gubbed them and restored the natural order of things in the second leg but that was still bad. Third for me would be getting beat 1-0 by Ayr at Somerset in the League Cup group stages - completely outplayed by a team two tiers below us. I'd keep your two as my four and your three as my five, adding a sixth when Stenhousemuir beat us in the League Cup in 2012/13 when we were the holders. I didn't expect us to retain it but the manner in which we lost that night was embarrassing. 

Birkirkara. Not only do you lose your chance of progressing after all the hard work getting into Europe but you also feel like your club has embarrassed Scottish football overall. I just felt disgusted by it for days afterwards. I felt no goodwill towards them either as they were such a poor side. Neilson played for the nil nil away in the first leg which is what killed us ultimately.  

This 😳

Ding-dong the wicked witch aka Dirty Dingus was dead.  It only took several humiliations and six defeats on the trot that left us second bottom on goal difference (having played a game MORE than the hapless Accies).  

The twa Neils (Simmie and 'not Tattie' Cooper) were to swoop in and save us (at least in the interim).  It was a match made in heaven.   SIMMIE WAS GOING TO joint-MANAGE THE MIGHTY, MIGHTY DONS!  YAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSS MIN!

Him and Cooper had done a fine job with the youth teams and were primed to give us a feel good bounce!  There was no doubt in my mind, since God (aka Willie Miller aka The Greatest Penalty Box Defender In The History Of The World Evah!)  had ordained it.  'So sayeth the shepherd, so sayeth the sheep... amen!  

The planets were aligned and Capricorn was probably fucking Pisces or something.

I don't know why, but I really thought  BELIEVED the twa Neils would turn us around and we would rise majestically from our shit-infested torpor and wreak havoc and revenge on all who had tormented and laughed at us (so pretty much everyone, but especially fuckin Hearts).

Then the whistle blew for kick-off! 🥵

Yours, it still hurts to this day!

aDONis

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9274624.stm

Easily this.
Being papped out the cup to Albion Rovers, the Stjarnan debacle, getting reamed 7-0 live on national telly on the last day of the season at Parkhead, capitulating in the 7-1 at Ibrox, the 7-2 at Pittodrie and McGhee's headsgone, the 5-0 New Year game against Accies...all pretty, pretty shite but ultimately the sort of thing that you can kind of take on the chin and put down to a poor performance and simply not showing up.

Losing three cup finals without scoring was pretty sore. What I’d give for a cup final where we don’t have to play one of the cuntos.

As stated before the Nomad game is by far away our worst result. Definitely as a 20-something its the worst in my lifetime following the club.

However, getting horsed 5-0 at tynecastle by a bunch of kids led by Ryan Stevenson getting a hattrick really left me on a downer. I was certain that we were going down.

That was the earliest ive ever left a game - was seriously considering leaving at Half time but thought id give the players a chance to do something in the 2nd half. Hearts came straight out and continued the shagging. Terrible team, terrible owner, terrible manager. Thankfully the Hibees imploded.

Honourable mention to the sacking of Kenny Shiels - we suffered for a while after that. But thankfully we eventually got rid of our leech of a chairman.

Edited by superkillieaway

27 minutes ago, aDONisSheep said:

This 😳

Ding-dong the wicked witch aka Dirty Dingus was dead.  It only took several humiliations and six defeats on the trot that left us second bottom on goal difference (having played a game MORE than the hapless Accies).  

The twa Neils (Simmie and 'not Tattie' Cooper) were to swoop in and save us (at least in the interim).  It was a match made in heaven.   SIMMIE WAS GOING TO joint-MANAGE THE MIGHTY, MIGHTY DONS!  YAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSS MIN!

Him and Cooper had done a fine job with the youth teams and were primed to give us a feel good bounce!  There was no doubt in my mind, since God (aka Willie Miller aka The Greatest Penalty Box Defender In The History Of The World Evah!)  had ordained it.  'So sayeth the shepherd, so sayeth the sheep... amen!  

The planets were aligned and Capricorn was probably fucking Pisces or something.

I don't know why, but I really thought  BELIEVED the twa Neils would turn us around and we would rise majestically from our shit-infested torpor and wreak havoc and revenge on all who had tormented and laughed at us (so pretty much everyone, but especially fuckin Hearts).

Then the whistle blew for kick-off! 🥵

Yours, it still hurts to this day!

aDONis

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9274624.stm

FB_IMG_1554888289899.jpg

All things considered the early part of the decade was one big nightmare under McGhee, and then only marginally better under Brown.

However, for reasons of missed opportunity, I will go for the Scottish Cup semi defeat in 2014 to St Johnstone.

With a trophy in the bag, Celtic beaten away in the previous round, and memories of the quite wonderful occasion and atmosphere that was the Tynecastle LC semi, then playing in front of 19k at Ibrox on a Sunday lunchtime felt very flat in comparison.

Things seemed to be going ok when we took the lead, and St Johnstone felt less of a threat than they did at Tynecastle, where they played well despite the 4-0 scoreline.

Then in the last half hour, the whole team seemed to collectively die on its erse. You could see St Johnstone’s goals coming long before they did, and they deservedly won in the end, with MacLean and May ragdolling us.

Still not sure what happened, but it was as if we didn’t want to be too greedy and actually win both domestic cups.

Now that there are two uglies at full strength investing multi millions, I am not sure we will get another chance soon to lift a trophy we used to win with routine regularity when I were a lad.

On 02/01/2020 at 13:36, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The 2010 Scottish Cup Final was such a damp squib after all the heroics getting there. Dundee Utd were obviously a far stronger team than us, but we didn't lay a glove on them that day.

Being scudded at home by ICT on the day of the League Cup trophy parade stung a bit as well.

Despite relegation going down to the last day in 2017, it had been on the cards for the entire season,so that one didn't hurt as much as it might have.

Vigurs crippling Jackson put a dampener on the celebrations. 

Also that was first time I noticed Fisher, he was excellent for Caley. 

Now at Exeter in league 2.

I was in hospitality, really looking forward to a celebratory Saturday, and it was just a bit rubbish. 

Edited by Rosscubed

The relegation season. Could tell it would be a bad season as soon as Malmo withdrew their length and left us a quivering mess without so much as a thank you.

Couldn’t buy a win, Fenlon gets papped and we get all excited like virgin brides on their wedding nights when Butcher... sorry.. just saying that man’s name makes me shudder still... was appointed. Turns out he’s nothing more than a bully, he all but ruined Alex Harris’ Hibs career and all but destroyed the club. Literally the only bright spot was the 2-1 win vs Hearts under the lights at ER.

Was confident of survival until Accies scored their first in the 2nd leg... just knew we’d fucked it from then on

Shows how bad that team really was when we needed Hearts starting with -15 to not finish bottom