Your worst moment last decade following your club

Scottish Cup Final 2017.

The realisation that we probably couldn’t have played any better on the day, and we still weren’t good enough. We were losing three or four of our best players and didn’t look like we’d adequately replace them. The sense that this was probably as good as it gets and we should fucking give up. I was so proud of the team, but the subsequent seasons showed that we’d peaked and weren’t going to be able to keep up the pace against Celtic (and eventually the ****), and we’d missed our opportunity to win a few trophies.

I was so proud of the team, but with hindsight it fucking hurts. That moment where Hayes put the cross behind McLean to make it 2-1 us is the moment I can’t bear to watch again.

There are obviously much shitter moments in the decade, but that final epitomises the McInnes era. So close, but so far.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

The atmosphere was quite something that night.

Having spent seasons going to Killie and it being an absolute morgue and usually strolling to victory, this was the first time I really saw what Steve Clarke was doing with you guys.

Even when half full (like it was that night) RP can create a fantastic atmosphere.

Love cup games under the lights.

As for Killie, the Nomads game was by far and away my worst moment this decade.

The chance to travel to Belgrade and play a team with the history of Partizan and we shat the bed.

Don't think I spoke a word leaving the ground. Still can't fully forgive the players for that shit show. Should have won that out the park even without a manager.

Staring in disbelief at my fellow Dandies singing "who the f**k is Stevie May" and doing the "wa-ay, boo" thing at 1 nil up in the first half at Ibrox.

Best chance of a Scottish Cup ever and we threw it away. The fans.

Although there are a couple of trips to Hampden I've managed to successfully blank out too. Spoilt for choice really.ac-saints3_2881175b.jpeg

The Minsk match was horrible.

Dirtiest team I've ever seen us play and a ref who was an absolute coward.

Lowlight was Steven Anderson being booked while being stretchered off after getting his nose broken by a not even very sneaky elbow.

Much like Russell Anderson has said, we've had much shitter moments than what I'm about to suggest. Anyway, the 2015/2016 season will always rankle as that was our opportunity to win the league. 

I want to know why and how we went from 8 games unbeaten to taking 1 point from a possible 15 after. Even if we had won 2 out of those 5 games, we would have given ourselves a great chance. 

Granted, the two draws at home against Partick Thistle and ICT at Christmas/New Year time cost us as well. Failing to replace Danny Ward cost us too as Scott Brown and Adam Collin chucked a few points away.

I'll always look back at that league campaign and think what might have been. That poor run, which seem to start after the half time break in our 3-1 victory over Hearts at Tynie, will be forever engrained in my mind. We played some of the worst football under McInnes during that spell. 

Nomads.  Our most famous embarrassing moment.  Was angry for a long time after that.  

Absolute shitebags coupled with the most naïve managerial strategy ever deployed in an important football match.  

The last time I felt close to that was seeing Gus McPherson wildly out of position on the left wing while down 3-0 to Ayr at Somerset.

Not bothered now though.  Not a jot, I tell you. 

Edited by Nutz_the_Squirrel
Typing error due to being too calm and not bothered.

Not only losing 5-2 to Stranraer with diddys like Darren Cole in the team, we then went on to overturn that deficit with an 88th minute goal and a 93rd minute goal to take it to 6-6 on aggregate. We got the momentum, took it to extra time and had the wind at our backs. Turns out we'd blown out our arse just getting those two goals and concede twice in ET to lose 8-6. 

Scenes following included folk absolutely hounding David Hopkin to leave the club, telling him he's a fraud of a manager :D 

As others have mentioned, a great decade for us so not too many hellish moments compared to others.

The Tynecastle LC semi final hammering from Aberdeen was tough at the time, but it's all part of the story of the historic SC semi-final comeback win over them later on that season, so doesn't really bother me much now.

I think the 2015-16 LC semi defeat to Hibs, also at Tynecastle, was a massive missed opportunity. Hibs were a championship team at the time, and up until Xmas we'd been playing brilliantly, with O'Halloran on fire and I think we went a run of 7 wins/ games undefeated or something around Oct-Nov time.  If the format had been the same that season with the semis and final before Xmas, we'd have destroyed them!  As it happened, MOH had his head turned by the ****, and we lost all form, and didn't perform at all on the day. A chance of a final against Ross County to win a second major honour in 2 years wasted.

Minsk was terrible. A brilliant away performance, on the back of knocking out Rosenborg, and we completely messed it up against the dirty b*****ds at home and got knocked out on pens.

Another one for me, which probably isn't that big a deal to many Saints fans, was the season after our SC win we put out Ross County in our opening defence of the cup, then drew QOS away in the next round for a place in the quarter finals.  We took over 1000 pissed up fans to Dumfries and it was a cracking atmosphere. Up until then we had a phenomenal record in Cup matches against teams from lower divisions, I don't think we'd lost to one in about 25 ties or something?  The team completely failed to turn up, we barely had a shot at goal and meekly surrendered our Cup with a thoroughly deserved 2-0 defeat. 

Finally, last season.  At the end of January we were fifth in the league, only 8 points off top place with the same matches played, on a run of 11 clean sheets in 14 matches.  We then failed to win a match for about 3 months as we completely threw all our good work from the first half of the season in the bin, and wasted a great opportunity to finish top four.

Edited by PauloPerth

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I think the 2015-16 LC semi defeat to Hibs, also at Tynecastle, was a massive missed opportunity. Hibs were a championship team at the time, and up until Xmas we'd been playing brilliantly, with O'Halloran on fire and I think we went a run of 7 wins/ games undefeated or something around Oct-Nov time.  If the format had been the same that season with the semis and final before Xmas, we'd have destroyed them!  

From August to a game against Celtic on 13th December, we were unreal. 16 games, 10 wins including a 3-1 win at Ibrox and a 5-1 win at Pittodrie. O'Halloran scored 4 in that time, and is credited with 10 assists. As a team we scored 34 goals in that time.

The Semi and Final would've fallen within that period, and I've zero doubt we'd have won it. As it is Rangers started whispering in his ear before the turn of the year, and by the Motherwell game on final day of 2015 he had already set his heart on leaving.

14 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I think the 2015-16 LC semi defeat to Hibs, also at Tynecastle, was a massive missed opportunity. Hibs were a championship team at the time, and up until Xmas we'd been playing brilliantly, with O'Halloran on fire and I think we went a run of 7 wins/ games undefeated or something around Oct-Nov time.  If the format had been the same that season with the semis and final before Xmas, we'd have destroyed them!

You'd have been welcome to play us in Oct-Nov time if you'd wanted, Hibs were in the middle of a seventeen game unbeaten run between late August and late December, winning 15 and drawing just 2. This included knocking the wind out of the sails of Derek McInnes' 8-in-a-row Aberdeen side under the lights at Easter Road.

I think it would've been much the same outcome, because Stubbs was a fantastic cup manager, and our squad was clearly better than yours in spite of the division gap.

Edited by HibsFan

Guest Bob Mahelp

As several Dons fans have alluded to, the biggest disappointment of the last decade was not being able to take advantage of the 2-3 year period when Rangers were in the chip shop leagues and Celtic were guff, especially in the cups. 

We had a couple of tricky Scottish cup 3rd round draws....away to a decent Dundee side one year and away to Hearts 2 years later......but we never turned up and lost both. In between we had a God given chance when 1 up at Ibrox and cruising the semi final, only to watch Stevie May single handedly turn the game around while we kept on missing chance after chance. Awful.

What made it worse was the fact that teams like ICT, Hibs, Hearts, St Mirren, St Johnstone, Ross County and Killie all took advantage of the OF being rubbish to go on and win things. 

It was a chance lost, and it'll be hard for an 'easy' period like that to come around again in the forseeable future.

Edited by Bob Mahelp

55 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

You'd have been welcome to play us in Oct-Nov time if you'd wanted, Hibs were in the middle of a seventeen game unbeaten run between late August and late December, winning 15 and drawing just 2. This included knocking the wind out of the sails of Derek McInnes' 8-in-a-row Aberdeen side under the lights at Easter Road.

I think it would've been much the same outcome, because Stubbs was a fantastic cup manager, and our squad was clearly better than yours in spite of the division gap.

Nope, not for me. We played a fucked Dave Mackay, who admitted afterwards that's when he new his career was over though injury and should've been honest with the manager. We were playing really shite and you still needed a dive for a penalty to win.

5 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Off field, prob Massone's legacy leaving us in a complete mess after asset stripping us, ending in admin. Livi 5 rescuing us only to be dumped from the 1st div down to the 3rd at the start of their tenure was all part of Massone's legacy too. Horrendous time for Livi and our fans.

Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

4 hours ago, Im_Rodger said:

Bottling the Scottish Championship at Dumbarton.

This was horrible at the time but in hindsight it gave us our best day of the decade at Easter Road so everything worked out well. 

I will go with Annan 4-1 Accies 😫