January Transfer Rumours

8 hours ago, dundeeunited83 said:

United bid for him last January, shankland was going no where

They rejected a bid of £150 from down south. Dundee were supposed to have bid something similar. Never heard anything about United bidding in Jan but maybe I am wrong. The boy only had 5 months left on his contract at that point so he would have been going somewhere if the valuation Ayr put on him was offered, which was reported to be £200k at that point.

4 minutes ago, rhumbaclub said:

They rejected a bid of £150 from down south. Dundee were supposed to have bid something similar. Never heard anything about United bidding in Jan but maybe I am wrong. The boy only had 5 months left on his contract at that point so he would have been going somewhere if the valuation Ayr put on him was offered, which was reported to be £200k at that point.

You know you cant actually make him sign for someone he doesnt want to go to right? Its not slave labour, the power ultimately lies with the player. Ayr could have accepted as many offers as they like, if Shanklznd didnt want to go to Fylde he doesnt have to!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I don’t think there was any official bids from Dundee United at all. Just enquires. In the summer there were concrete offers from Dundee, Fylde and Partick Thistle. I think Thistle came the closest but McCall wanted cash plus Doolan or Erskine.
You know you cant actually make him sign for someone he doesnt want to go to right? Its not slave labour, the power ultimately lies with the player. Ayr could have accepted as many offers as they like, if Shanklznd didnt want to go to Fylde he doesnt have to!

This was why it was so easy to hold onto him. Shankland never expressed a desire to move. On one hand he enjoyed playing for us and on the other he knew he’d get a decent signing on fee if he was a free agent. Had he wanted to leave we’d probably have taken the 150K for him.

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

More than aware of that, I was merely pointing out that "United bid for him last January, shankland was going no where" was inaccurate.

5 hours ago, rhumbaclub said:

Dundee didn't offer money, they offered us to pick three of their players...

So that’s Rooney, Donaldson, Walsh and White that ICT could end up losing in the summer.

Donaldson is a dud but the other 3 are big losses imo.

Donaldson might have regressed this season but he’s clearly a bigger loss than White or Rooney. Both of whom are standard Championship level players. Walsh is the best of the lot but he’s almost permanently injured, like Sean Welsh, so he hasn’t actually contributed a whole lot to us recently.

45 minutes ago, Dele said:

Dundee offered £125,000. Ayr wanted near double. 

It was all pointless as Shankland was not for moving at that point. Source : his grandfather who lives in Dundee. 

Get him signed up...

Shaun Rooney - We are apparently away to offer a PCA.

And Thomas O'Brien from Arbroath we are after as well.

Obviously there's the Wighton rumour too.

All credit to Rooney (and ICT coaching staff) who by all accounts has done well for ICT but he was just awful for us. Dreadful decision making and positional sense with endless needless fouls given away meant he was an absolute liability IMHO.

4 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Is there actually any point/ benefit to having a transfer window for teams below the Premiership? 🤔

I'm beginning to think not...

I think there should be some sort of dispensation for players on contracts of say a year or less. 

If players choose not to commit any longer than that then fine, but the easier they can be moved on the better for all parties. Bear with me. 

Clubs who can afford it, will be encouraged to pay a more substantial nominal fee outwith of the window, to strengthen their squad for a promotion or relegation fight rather than wait until the summer when under the current rules they would get the player for free. 

Give some more power back to the selling club rather than the player and / or his agent. 

The inevitable scramble with hours, minutes or seconds to go as the window "slams" shut, helps nobody but especially at our end of the market. 

59 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I think there should be some sort of dispensation for players on contracts of say a year or less. 

If players choose not to commit any longer than that then fine, but the easier they can be moved on the better for all parties. Bear with me. 

Clubs who can afford it, will be encouraged to pay a more substantial nominal fee outwith of the window, to strengthen their squad for a promotion or relegation fight rather than wait until the summer when under the current rules they would get the player for free. 

Give some more power back to the selling club rather than the player and / or his agent. 

The inevitable scramble with hours, minutes or seconds to go as the window "slams" shut, helps nobody but especially at our end of the market. 

This is the nub of the matter. We tend to feed off scraps and deals are getting done later and later leaving the club at the bottom of the food chain little or no time to sign replacements.

Maybe an extra week would be an idea to allow for transfer chains? 🤔

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Where'd you see this O'Brien thing?

Twitter - There's a Dundee fan account that seems to be tracking these things. Dunno where they got the info from. I've not read it in any papers. If you're able to hold out for say, even 100k, that'd rule us out IMO.