Funeral Music

R.E.M. ‘It’s The End of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)’

Then, as I disappear behind the velvet curtain, I want someone to start a thread on P&B about their top 5 crematorium velvet curtains, and critique mine. Time for one last shitey thread on a forum, surely. A man’s final wish and all that.

Edited by pozbaird

Anyone who has their funeral soundtrack song selected when they aren’t dying is a self indulgent w****r.

I remember my uncle died in 2006 and his wife played “If tomorrow never comes” by Ronan Keating. My uncle was a pretty cool guy, played guitar himself and his favourite band was Led Zepplin and this choice of song was the final insult from his absolute cuntress of a wife and even more tragic than the cancer that killed him.

5 minutes ago, throbber said:

Anyone who has their funeral soundtrack song selected when they aren’t dying is a self indulgent w****r.

I remember my uncle died in 2006 and his wife played “If tomorrow never comes” by Ronan Keating. My uncle was a pretty cool guy, played guitar himself and his favourite band was Led Zepplin and this choice of song was the final insult from his absolute cuntress of a wife and even more tragic than the cancer that killed him.

What a cow right enough. 

This would have been a good choice :

15 minutes ago, throbber said:

My CD was put together as a very good friend of mine died years ago and his family were at each other about what music to play.  Similar to your story there, the final choice was nothing like what my mate would have wanted - except 1 track.  Not an exercise in self-indulgence, but i get the final say on what gets played to avoid scenarios described above.. 

My CD was put together as a very good friend of mine died years ago and his family were at each other about what music to play.  Similar to your story there, the final choice was nothing like what my mate would have wanted - except 1 track.  Not an exercise in self-indulgence, but i get the final say on what gets played to avoid scenarios described above.. 

Fair enough mate it was just never a subject that I liked talking about as the reality is that no one will care what song gets played at your funeral and if you’re having those sort of thoughts then you probably have some sort of issue with self image.

22 minutes ago, throbber said:

Fair enough mate it was just never a subject that I liked talking about as the reality is that no one will care what song gets played at your funeral and if you’re having those sort of thoughts then you probably have some sort of issue with self image.

Maybe it has nothing to do with self-indulgence or self-image. Maybe you just want to ensure that no-one plays Ronan fcuking Keating at your farewell bash.

Edited by pozbaird

Maybe it has nothing to do with self-indulgence or self-image. Maybe you just want to ensure that no-one plays Ronan fcuking Keating at your farewell bash.

It fills me with anger the more I think about it, if only my uncle had read this thread before the cancer kicked in.

The idea that you're dead and still in control has an obvious flaw. If anybody asked me to administer such an arrangement I'd be making sure they got the opposite of what they wanted.

Anyone choosing Runrig or Caledonia has forfeited any rights in life and death.

Guest Moomintroll
The idea that you're dead and still in control has an obvious flaw. If anybody asked me to administer such an arrangement I'd be making sure they got the opposite of what they wanted.
Anyone choosing Runrig or Caledonia has forfeited any rights in life and death.
Going Home is a braw song though, not going to lie, I want to steal the Immigrant Song idea for my cremation.

My Dad passed away in March 2018 from prostate cancer, and even though he knew it was coming and had a funeral plan in place and told us he wanted a minister to conduct the funeral, the one thing he didn't do was pick music. 2 acts he liked and saw live whenever they were in Glasgow were Van Morrison and Jools Holland.

When he was being brought into the crematorium we had Into the Mystic by Van playing, and at the end as people were leaving we had Jools and Prince Buster with Enjoy Yourself, It's Later than You Think. I'm sure he would have approved.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

R.E.M. ‘It’s The End of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)’

Then, as I disappear behind the velvet curtain, I want someone to start a thread on P&B about their top 5 crematorium velvet curtains, and critique mine. Time for one last shitey thread on a forum, surely. A man’s final wish and all that.

You should get a shot of Wisbit's St Mirren curtains to close behind your coffin as you meet your fiery end. 

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Won't be having a funeral so no music for me. When I am gone, I am gone. Don't want to impose any more obligations on those I leave behind than I need to.

Karma will see you in a broken lift in an old folks home waiting for the fire brigade to free your coffin whilst this is on in the background.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

My Dad passed away in March 2018 from prostate cancer, and even though he knew it was coming and had a funeral plan in place and told us he wanted a minister to conduct the funeral, the one thing he didn't do was pick music. 2 acts he liked and saw live whenever they were in Glasgow were Van Morrison and Jools Holland.

When he was being brought into the crematorium we had Into the Mystic by Van playing, and at the end as people were leaving we had Jools and Prince Buster with Enjoy Yourself, It's Later than You Think. I'm sure he would have approved.

Funeral Director: OK, I have your hymn selection for the Order of Service, have you considered some music to be played at the crematorium.

Me: Er, no, I hadn't really thought about that to be honest.

FD: Did he have any favourite songs or artists? We could arrange that if you like.

Me: Well he was a fan of Lonnie Donegan, but I'd rather not risk him being carried in with 'My Old Man's A Dustman' playing in the background. Just something traditional please.