Funeral Music

13 minutes ago, TxRover said:

IDK, one last warped taste is always pretty good…

Trundling into the burn barn to The Trammps Disco Inferno tickles my fancy, and the parting words should be “Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we snuggle.”

My dad has his funeral arranged, including music. This gives me the fear. 

About 10 years ago he arranged the music for my mum's 60th. The two of them have the same taste. For weeks we were told that the band coming was awesome, the music great and so on. 10 minutes into the din (scottish country dancing pish) my siblings and I, and our spouses, and our uncles, stood outside debating what was a decent amount of time to stay before slinking off to the pub. 

When he goes, it'll be a double blow. Grief and ear pain. 

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

About 10 years ago he arranged the music for my mum's 60th. The two of them have the same taste. For weeks we were told that the band coming was awesome, the music great and so on. 10 minutes into the din (scottish country dancing pish) my siblings and I, and our spouses, and our uncles, stood outside debating what was a decent amount of time to stay before slinking off to the pub. 

Earbuds.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I was at a funeral recently and it made me realise that the music is actually quite an important part, and I want to do well with my choices. But...self indulgence? Just make them suffer my own warped tastes? Or go with regular funeral crowd pleasers guaranteed to produce tears?

Why do you need it to produce tears?  Get them to chop some onions at your funeral.  That will do the trick.

Forget about forgettable music.  Choose music they might associate with you or something that would put a smile on their face.

For you I would suggest "Star Trekking across the universe .."

Despite the Hibbee connection (that really fucking grates, but you just cannot deny the inspirational lyrics), Sunshine on Leith:

”my heart was broken / you saw it / you claimed it / you touched it / you saved it”

(that’ll surprise a few in the crowd at the crem!!) 

Caledonia, Dougie Maclean:

Oh and I have moved and I've kept on moving / Proved the points that I needed proving / Lost the friends that I needed losing  / Found others on the way

We are the Champions, Queen:

I've paid my dues
Time after time
I've done my sentence
But committed no crime
And bad mistakes
I've made a few
I've had my share of sand
Kicked in my face
But I've come through….

Edited by alta-pete
ETA: hope I don’t go of a heart attack!

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I was at a funeral recently and it made me realise that the music is actually quite an important part, and I want to do well with my choices. But...self indulgence? Just make them suffer my own warped tastes? Or go with regular funeral crowd pleasers guaranteed to produce tears?

I will be making sure the attendees at my funeral suffer my favourite songs. In fact I'd rather have 30 minutes of music at the crematorium than any of the other shite you get at a funeral. Shame I won't be attending, alive.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

If getting the ones who love you telt one last time isn’t the way to go I’m not sure what is.  It’ll take some amount of bravery for someone to walk up and demand the deid ones music be shut off cos it’s fucking shite in the middle of a funeral.   I would admire anyone that did mind.

If I could be arsed I may even make that part of my inheritance/funeral plans.  Songs i love but knew would piss people off with a payment to whoever stood up to me even tho I’m no even there.

Edited by parsforlife

It’s something I have given thought to since going through the whole thing when planning my dads funeral. That was easy enough mind you, myself, my brother and two of his siblings all just picked a song that we associated with him. Fucked if I remember the other two songs but I picked “King of the Road” as he only had one tape in the car when I was wee and that was on it.

I’ve yet to decide on what I would want, but “Smile” by the Supernaturals, “Might be Stars” by The Wannadies and “Get Blown Away” by OCS are on the list at the moment.

I might plump for “National Shite Day” nearer the time just because.

Edited by Ross.

To add to my post above, I asked my 2 year old this morning to name some songs dad sings, just to try and apply the same logic we used when my old man expired. As it stands, if I don’t plan the fucking thing myself I will likely end up being played out to Postman Pat, Fireman Sam and SpongeBob SquarePants. I think I prefer that to my own suggestions.

Genuinely have no interest in choosing songs, or indeed anything related to my own funeral.  I will make sure there is enough cash to see me off with a decent do and leave the details to those organising it.  

It's likely I'll die where I am now so that will include a two-week wake with plenty of drinking and eating and gambling.  I'll be sorry to miss it to be honest.  

13 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Why do you need it to produce tears?  Get them to chop some onions at your funeral.  That will do the trick.

Forget about forgettable music.  Choose music they might associate with you or something that would put a smile on their face.

For you I would suggest "Star Trekking across the universe .."

I was thinking of getting cremated to this:

17 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I'm meeting a mate of mine in a couple of weeks. He's a funeral director and we're getting our stuff in order so we don't leave a big fecking bill for the kids.

In the meantime, we have to think of music to be played should I fall under a bus.

In all seriousness, I won't go for a Highway to Hell/Another One Bites The Dust effort. I was thinking that but really, need to consider what actual songs I'll use. 

It's been in my head for a few days now and I'm struggling to strike the right note. Don't want too soppy and sentimental, don't want too upbeat (Agadoo will have to be at the after party).

My grandfather’s leaving song was “Sexbomb” by Tom Jones. Encapsulated his spirit and sense of humour.

6 hours ago, Ross. said:

To add to my post above, I asked my 2 year old this morning to name some songs dad sings, just to try and apply the same logic we used when my old man expired. As it stands, if I don’t plan the fucking thing myself I will likely end up being played out to Postman Pat, Fireman Sam and SpongeBob SquarePants. I think I prefer that to my own suggestions.

The Spongebob Theme has now been added to my list of appropriate funeral songs

Right, serious time.

I need 3 songs. One for folk entering. One for them to fire me into the sun. One for folk to leave with.

I think for the final one I'll have Don't Stop by Fleetwood Mac. I like it, it's a bit jaunty.

Just need to find the first two

48 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Right, serious time.

I need 3 songs. One for folk entering. One for them to fire me into the sun. One for folk to leave with.

I think for the final one I'll have Don't Stop by Fleetwood Mac. I like it, it's a bit jaunty.

Just need to find the first two

Entering: "Welcome to the Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance

Burny bit: Kane's theme from WWE

Leaving: "The Carnival is Over" by the Seekers