Funeral Music

Funeral Director: OK, I have your hymn selection for the Order of Service, have you considered some music to be played at the crematorium.
Me: Er, no, I hadn't really thought about that to be honest.
FD: Did he have any favourite songs or artists? We could arrange that if you like.
Me: Well he was a fan of Lonnie Donegan, but I'd rather not risk him being carried in with 'My Old Man's A Dustman' playing in the background. Just something traditional please.
Rock Island Line and Cumberland Gap double to get them dancing in the aisles.

When my older brother was dying of cancer we had "the chat".

We established he wanted cremated and asked if he could invite anybody from his regiment association in attendance etc.

I asked about music, but being a man of simple tastes (he like liked fishing but no interest in music) he just said "similar to what we did for mum and dad" then added, although there is one song I would like.  So naturally I asked...

Song?  No idea.

Artist?  No idea.

Lyrics? No idea

How does the tune go?  I am shit with humming tunes.  I have something about it in my bedroom at home. 

This already had me in a panic as the only musical thing I knew he had was a Donny Osmond album, no idea how it ended up in his room but it had been there for years and had become a family joke.

Got my brother home as he wanted to die in his own bed but for some reason never got the chance to ask about that song. Brother died suddenly a few days later.

Everything was arranged but that song was bugging me and I gave it one last shot.  Turned his bedroom upside down like I was looking for the family silver.

Happened to come across a crumpled bookie slip with the word "Sissel" on it.  Naturally I first assumed it was a horse but then remembered my brother was not a betting man.  So looked up Google.  Turns out she sang a rendition of Going Home which is also used by the military.  I only knew it as the Hovis theme tune but there is a line in it which refers to going home where mother and father are waiting (his ashes were to be buried with them in the family grave).  I almost cried with relief.

So my brother was piped into the crematorium with Amazing Grace (mum and dad had the same) and a guard of honour with regimental  colours.  Then the played Fisherman's Blues as he was committed and as we left to the sounds of Going Home by Sissel the piper was outside playing it at exactly the same time.

So for those not wanting to plan ahead, remember the hassle and heartache you can be saving others.

Or you might be remembered for the guy that got buried to Puppy Love 😉

Edited by Sugar_Army

49 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I would expect so. I will be leaving them all a lot of money and property and won't be expecting them to engage in a heap of of my own self indulgent nonsense.

What about you?

I'm thinking the wake for Margaret Thatcher at the Methil club

11 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

I wouldn't worry mate. Like a bad dog you'll be thrown in the river and let the folks downstream worry about it.

As for me, some banging early 90's rave with a little piano mixed in. Set will be at leased 4 hours.... I'll let @NotThePars have the last say, he seems to have good taste. @Dele is invited and will be toe tapping.

As a Buddhist, I'll be playing this Christian classic

In tribute to the big man (you) posting it one night after a big sesh I would be going with this.

Or this

Off on s slight tangent.  Sister and brother in law was at a funeral last year for a relation. 

Priest then asked some to step forward and take a chord to which a voice pipes up "Erm I think you will find he is to be buried beside my mother in that grave over there".

Yep, the had opened the wrong grave. 

After an not of a heated discussion guests were asked to head to the hotel doing the buffet until they could open the correct grave then come back.

I have two songs for definite as they have been constants in my life since I’ve heard them and they mean a lot to me.

Pixies - Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf Mix), it has to be that one as the tempo suits the mood as I go through the curtains.

James - Sometimes. My favourite song and I want it played as people go in.

For a third one, it changes dependent on the day but for now I’d happily settle for Bruce Springsteen and Thunder Road.

No religious songs or sentiments thank you. 

Gymnopédies by Erik Satie to play as attendees arrive. Clair de Lune by Debussy to play as the ceremony comes to a close. 

Not sure what I'd have in between. I have so many favourite musicians and bands it would be hard to single out any particular tunes to reflect my life (thus far anyway).

22 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I always envisioned having this played at my funeral. It's far from apt, but, it's happening:

At Peter Sellers funeral they played that as the coffin was lowered. Spike Milligan and Harry Secombe started silently pissing themselves- Sellers apparently hated the tune!

Spike said to Secombe- "I hope you go first, I don't want you singing at my funeral!" Well Neddy did go first but there was a sort of revenge- they played a Secombe recording at Spike's funeral for a laugh!

I’d want the end of the live version of Saucerful of Secrets by Pink Floyd, the really messianic orchestral sequence, Ride On by AC/DC and, should they chose to cremate me, Fire by Arthur Brown [emoji3]

23 hours ago, throbber said:

Good shout johnboy, just imagine playing Ronan Keating at the funeral of a guy who’s favourite band was Led Zepplin, it wasn’t even Ronan’s best song either not even in the top 5.

Knowing at least 5 Ronan Keating songs is a new low for P&B.