Clyde Vs Stranraer

We were obviously much better in the second half but we're lucky Stranraer are so poor.

We'd already tried a couple of long cross field passes for Goodwillie and Smith to chase but they didn't take the warning. Stranraer got half a chance to counter and threw bodies forward, leaving themselves completely open for our first goal, with their keeper caught in no man's land (one of his few mistakes). Really stupid tactics on their part.

That gave us the lift we needed and we easily could have gone on to win it from there. We too probably got a bit carried away later as by the last 10 minutes either team could have won it.

Other results went our way, in terms of trying to avoid relegation, so it could have been much worse after that first half.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

What a 2nd 45!

Great fight. Unbelievably, we should have won the game. DGW gets 2 goals he had no right to, but also misses 1 on 1 with Currie as the linesman was the only person at Broadwood who thought he was onside. 

Smith made a real difference when he came on. TW off the pace. Wylde didn't add too much after his introduction. 1st time Mitch has cost us a goal. 

Out of interest, was anything said about Goodwillie in the lounge before the game? I was a bit late in getting and missed Danny pre-game.

Absolutely dreadful first half, with Cuddihy’s sending putting us in a dreadful position followed by some horrendous defending seeing us 2-0 down at half-time. Echoing other comments, Johnston should have been off as soon as we were down to ten. He’s a nice player going forwards but he was as good as a man down in this instance. As I said earlier, it was very difficult to give pass marks to anybody.

Better second half in the main. Petkov was a different player and Wallace started to offer something too (his attempted trapping of the ball which resulted in it rolling under his foot was hilarious). Lovely finish for goal number one but suicidal from Stranraer who had way over-committed which left Goodwillie in acres of room for the pass through. After Johnstone decided to pass to nobody, Goodwillie then proceeded to dribble past the entire Stranraer defence from the halfway line and then was taken out by Robertson. Perfect penalty into the corner too. Currie had some very good saves from Smith, Wallace and Goodwillie (twice) as we pressed for a third. Stranraer regained the lead within the final ten minutes. Mitchell, very uncharacteristically, allowing a corner to slip right through his fingers allowing Elliot to prod the ball in. I see someone on Twitter said Elliot was the best player on the pitch but that accolade always belonged to Goodwillie. A couple of minutes after Stranraer introduced the jobber Hamill, Lamont floated a lovely ball in and Goodwillie planted an excellent header in off the post. Some nervy moments afterwards but we managed to walked away with a point.

A good point given the circumstances but a game we really ought to have taken three from. We’re conceding some truly awful goals at the moment. A mention to Darren Smith who put in a very good shift when he came on, effectively playing as a wing back. Wylde wasn’t particularly involved when he came on but it’s a difficult match to get make your debut in. An extra special mention to Stranraer for inexplicably managing to throw that game away despite playing against ten men for 70 minutes and being 2-0 up at half time and 3-2 up with ten minutes to go. Easy to see why they’re bottom but we need some extra quality to avoid being down there with them. Denny Johnstone was really rubbish too, Stevenson was better than him and he bullied Petkov for the first 45 minutes.

Need to kick on at Dumbarton next week league has to be an absolute priority at this stage so not concerned about bonnyrigg
Great chance to get through and with the prize money we definitely need to be seeing off Bonnyrigg.

Danny and Allan need to move the half time team talk back an hour! Why do we need to be 2 down before we show a spark? As has been said, Lamont won’t be playing right back again in a hurry. Not his fault it didn’t work. An uncharacteristic mistake from Mitchell for the 3rd but we should have been another couple in front before that. Must have been a great game for a neutral, not so much for my ticker [emoji51]

20 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Great fight. Unbelievably, we should have won the game. DGW gets 2 goals he had no right to, but also misses 1 on 1 with Currie as the linesman was the only person at Broadwood who thought he was onside. 

He was onside. A Stranraer player on the left hand side was much deeper than everyone else and played on, but even Goodwillie didn't realise that and so fucked up the best chance of the match.

Horrible first half, we were as bad as anything we have seen absolute rank. at 2-0 in first half I  was honestly fearing a tanking! Petkov, Lamont, Wallace the worst of a team of frighteningly poor performance. Only tactic as ever was to try to get the ball to Goodie or anywhere near him and hope he does the rest. Nearly did when he hit the bar I suppose.

Second half Could not have been more different. Smith, as said before made a huge difference, if nothing else he was within 15 yards of Goodwillie! Petkov was different player as was Lamont.

Final paragraph.. one thing to say David Goodwillie... absolutely unbelievable, brilliant, fantastic.👏👏👏👏👏

Edited by FREDDYFRY

I didn't think the officials were that bad to be honest. I thought Petkov was fouled for the first Stranraer goal and that Goodwillie bought the penalty but he was far better than the inexperienced clown we had at Peterhead. Certainly nowhere near as bad as some of the footballers on display.

Danny Lennon made the obvious change (going to a back three) at half-time and the not obvious change (bringing Smith on at right wing-back). We absolutely pummelled Stranraer for half an hour until the legs started to go, understandably. Goodwillie was obviously outstanding but Petkov, Wallace, Lamont and Smith all played their part in driving us up the pitch and creating chances. In truth, at 2-2 we really should have got in front but were denied by some excellent goalkeeping. 

Another great comeback from this group of players but a few of them need to sharpen up or they won't be here much longer. It's inexplicable that Lamont can be so poor one half, and outstanding the next.

True.. switching to a back 3 changed the dynamic of the game, my 2 boys and I were talking about that. It’s a set up I really like if we have players who can play it.
At least shows it’s something we can try if a change is required, although might not work as well again against a better side than Stranraer. 

47 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

He was onside. A Stranraer player on the left hand side was much deeper than everyone else and played on, but even Goodwillie didn't realise that and so fucked up the best chance of the match.

Fair play. You youngsters have both better sight and reactions to things like that.

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

What a 2nd 45!

Smith made a real difference when he came on. TW off the pace. Wylde didn't add too much after his introduction. 1st time Mitch has cost us a goal. 

He was a mile onside when the ball was played thats why the lino never gave it.

I actually thought we were on top before the sending off. Then their goal comes from bad defending by Petkov and the ball landing kindly from a deflected shot for the boy to head home. Same with the 2nd, great block on the line but luckily for them it lands right at the boys feet again and he makes no mistake with the 2nd effort.

Stranraer made an arse of it second half and we couldve easily been 4 or 5-2 up before an uncharacteristic error from Mitchell allowed them to take the lead again. 

Great ball from Lamont for Goodies 3rd. Calm and classy finish for his 1st as well. I dread to think where we would be without him...

Overall I'm still disappointed we didnt win today even though we had 10 men for 70 minutes. As has been said we are fortunate Peterhead and Forfar didnt win but we are still 10 points ahead of Stranraer. A win next weekend before Bonnyrigg would be ideal.

Thought Smith was excellent when he came on. Wallace can go back to Annan in January as far as I'm concerned. Johnston needs to be more consistent. Hes either really good or absolutely anonymous.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

2 hours ago, monthe blues said:

that is the worst Stranraer defence i have seen in many years,aye we need goalscorers But we need a defence more ,

they have lost us the most points  

Hard put to say much more than that Stranraer threw the game away.

1 point gained, but should have been 3.

Edited by beefybake

Danny saying in his post game monologue: Petkov is/has been recalled by Hearts - for the foreseeable future anyways. Therefore I would hope Howie isn't too far away.

On a more positive note he did state Wylde's credentials and the service he could potentially give DGW. Which to me would insinuate, David is staying with the club, at least until the summer.

Edited by TheBigGuy

First half was that bad I was ready to leave and by the time the 90 minutes was up i couldn't believe we didn't have 3 points.

Not convinced Cuddihy should've been sent off from where I was sitting he took the ball. Stranraer should've had a man sent off for that 2 footed tackle on goody in our own box but yet again that sums up the refs in this country. They are totally incompetent and I feel like we're talking about it every week.

Goodwillie was a class act again and could've had 4 or 5 in that second half. Johnstone was bitter pish today and yet again Wallace was a waste of shirt, hes slow, lazy, doesn't track back, can't win a header for a big guy, dives and is an utter shite bag.

Credit to Smith who looked great on the wing, maybe an option for next week.