St Johnstone v Greenock Morton, Saturday 18/01/20

PauloPerth

Scottish Cup, fourth round.

Lets be honest, it's a tie neither set of fans particularly wanted. For Saints, a winnable home tie is bearable after drawing Celtic early on in both Cups last season.

Both teams have relegation battles to contend with and have had tough seasons so far.  For Saints, our lack of goals is an issue, along with the fact we won't have played a competitive match for 3 weeks.  You feel it's a quirk of the fixtures designed to encourage cup shocks.

The last time the team's played was the quarter final of the league cup in 2015. Denny Johnstone opened the scoring for Morton before Maclean, O'Halloran and Kane replied for us. That was the night of that brilliant picture of MOH tearing past 12 Morton defenders.

Going back in the Scottish Cup, a brilliant quarter final in 1989 at Cappielow finished 2-2, before a crowd of over 8000 at Muirton saw Saints win the replay.  Stevie Maskrey on the wing was the cry.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

To put the crowd that night into context, in the last 30 years, Saints have recorded only 14 domestic, competitive home attendances (against non-Old Firm opposition) that bettered the 8,337 that watched that game. 

IMG_20191230_124839.jpg.f7e09890a712650f2994ee7eda99cb59.jpg

What was the crowd at the Monaco game? Surprised it's not on that list.

I'm sure we also had a near 8000 crowd in the second tier against Morton in the first season at McDiarmid. That was the game Rowan  Alexander scored from 25 yards and did a roly poly celebration and the goal (and celebration) featured in the opening credits on sportscene for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

What was the crowd at the Monaco game? Surprised it's not on that list.

Remember the Monaco game was a Thursday teatime. Crowd was only 7,706.

The Morton game you mention (my first at McDiarmid) was 8,082.

You look at those crowds and wonder but what was interesting is when Totten was sacked, the reports suggested the spike was down to luring back lapsed Ormond fans (who had then drifted away again) , rather than attracting new support. If that was the case then there maybe isn't the generation of support out there but not attending that we think/hope there is. 

I still think the numbers are there for one-off matches, e.g. we had a few crowds of around 8000 home fans for European matches just a few years ago.   But I don't think we'll see those numbers again on a regular basis.  Not unless there was a fundamental change in the structure of Scottish football e.g. The OF fucked off and we were in a genuine Premiership title race.

It does seem that it's the optimism/ expectation that captivates folk and brings a big jump in crowds; for example only by going down and having a few bad seasons then coming back up on a wave of optimism, before the staleness of Premiership football kicks in a couple of seasons later and the glass ceiling is fully realised and folk drift away again.

You feel if the likes of Morton, Dunfermline, Ayr etc were to come up they'd enjoy really big home supports for a couple of seasons.  I think st Mirren are still riding the crest of the Jack Ross wave a bit as well, as they are much better supported now than they were when they'd been kicking around the bottom six for a few years before they got relegated.

Anyway, Morton fans - why is St Johnstone legend Chris Millar not getting a regular game?  Has he been any good for you?

22 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Anyway, Morton fans - why is St Johnstone legend Chris Millar not getting a regular game?  Has he been any good for you?

He got a lot of undeserved stick last year. I thought he was good at coming deep to get the ball, could usually fashion himself a bit of space, and keep the game ticking over. I, possibly in the minority, was quite happy to have him around for another year and thought with a coupla midfielders next to him do the running would be good for another season at least.

I was wrong. He's been pish. He does nothing but slow down attacks and get caught on the ball.

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

That was the night of that brilliant picture of MOH tearing past 12 Morton defenders.

1462889410_post-424-14459995228844_thumb(1).jpg.87ff27fd09fd86493605d7b89477829e.jpg

A beautiful thing.

7 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

When the draw happened I was fairly happy with playing, possibly, the worst St. Johnstone team in a decade. I think they're unbeaten since the draw. I doubt we'll win before this fixture.

Keep an eye on our injuries, if Jason Kerr or Liam Gordon get injured, we're back in the shit. Wallace Duffy v John Sutton only has one winner.

The idea of Ali McCann v Chris Millar is a tantalising one, a sort of official passing of the baton at McDiarmid as young Ali runs rings around the original and best.

Edited by RandomGuy.

8 hours ago, Radford said:

To put the crowd that night into context, in the last 30 years, Saints have recorded only 14 domestic, competitive home attendances (against non-Old Firm opposition) that bettered the 8,337 that watched that game. 

IMG_20191230_124839.jpg.f7e09890a712650f2994ee7eda99cb59.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, that was the last Scottish Cup game played at Muirton Park. Game was delayed for 15 minutes due to crowd congestion, which was just as well as I was 15 minutes late. Was a great game but unfortunately didn't go our way.

4 minutes ago, Talk of the 'Ton said:

If I'm not mistaken, that was the last Scottish Cup game played at Muirton Park. Game was delayed for 15 minutes due to crowd congestion, which was just as well as I was 15 minutes late. Was a great game but unfortunately didn't go our way.

It would have been the last one, yes. It was the quarter-final, the semi-final and replay v Rangers were both at Celtic Park, and the following season we were playing at McDiarmid.

On 30/12/2019 at 20:12, RandomGuy. said:

Wallace Duffy v John Sutton only has one winner.

And it's not John Sutton. He doesn't have the legs to get into the positions he needs to be anymore. Sometimes a hopeful punt comes within five yards of him and he's able to somehow win a foul. Otherwise we'd be better off with Salkeld up there and Salkeld can't play football.

14 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

And it's not John Sutton. He doesn't have the legs to get into the positions he needs to be anymore. Sometimes a hopeful punt comes within five yards of him and he's able to somehow win a foul. Otherwise we'd be better off with Salkeld up there and Salkeld can't play football.

I'm fairly sure Sutton ragdolled our defence in pre-season? Which was entirely what that was based on tbh.

Against Alloa we had good wing play but he was always yards behind the crosses because he doesn't have the pace to get into the box. Against Partick the long balls pumped at him were either too far for him to reach or, if he did win a header, he flicked it onto no man's land. He done well to chest the ball down for Cadden v Alloa but he's just a lump of wood now and any strengths he still has we're not playing into.

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

I genuinely thought with the extra Old Firm cash imminent that they might have gone £10 for this, or at least £15. Can never quite work out the thinking from Saints at times.

Yes, great, kids are free but they are free every week and the uptake in the Ormond Stand is pitiful. This was an opportunity to target other demographics but you aren't going to get any extra punters at £20.

I accept prices have to be agreed with Morton.

I suspect GMFC wanted to get as much (still very little) money from this game as possible, hence the pricing. 

Given eleven years and the demise of the 208 club since the last meeting between the sides, I'd appreciate some up to date info regarding pubs near the ground and in the town centre: presumably a taxi between the two is the best bet for a shower of arseholes. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, virginton said:

I suspect GMFC wanted to get as much (still very little) money from this game as possible, hence the pricing. 

Given eleven years and the demise of the 208 club since the last meeting between the sides, I'd appreciate some up to date info regarding pubs near the ground and in the town centre: presumably a taxi between the two is the best bet for a shower of arseholes. 

Unless you want to drink in some sort of travel lodge/ family restaurant town and taxi is best bet.

Depends what your looking for really. For a big spoons type thing then the Sandeman, Dickens isnt the most salubrious but has a cracking whisky selection and very near the station. 

If its lads and lager the Foundry although i fucking hate it.

My favourite pub in Perth for decent beers and whisky is the Old Ship Inn. Close second would be the Kirkside and they are fairly near each other and there are a few eating/drinking options around St Johns Place

I havent tried the golf theme bar opposite Dicken as the concept sounds attrocious but it might be a laugh.

The Welcome Inn looks, and apparently is, decent these days, could walk to the ground from there. Maybe take 20 minutes if you're steaming.

Attention turns to this game for both sides now, Tommy Wright at Cappielow today. Morton seem to have picked up some away form lately too.

Still a full week of the transfer window to go, so hard to know who will be where, but I'd be tempted to go with...

Clark

Ralston - Gordon - Kerr - Booth

MOH - Holt - McCann - Davidson - Kennedy

May

Obviously Kennedy is likely to sign a PCA with Aberdeen so decision to be made there, and the striker decision is just a roll of the dice, feel like May's movement would open more space up in midfield though.

3 hours ago, ali_91 said:

Just to add to this, the taxi rank is right outside Foundry/Sandeman. I’d be going to either of those if you’re a shower of arseholes. Booze, plenty space, TV’s and both even do semi passable pub grub. 

Apologies - from the 'shower of arseholes' comment you clearly thought of the middle class, rugby w****r variety; there's no interest here in some Belhaven chain shitehole that serves food and no doubt coffee as well. Just lead us to your nearest cheap shitehole old man pubs, thank you very much.

It's a shame that we couldn't have caught Saint Johnstone when they were in a bit of a state earlier in the season, as having shored up their defence they have to go into the tie as convincing favourites. We finally looked like a half decent football side yesterday and have improved going forward in recent weeks though, so I'd like to see us at least pose a serious challenge like we did in the 5-3 defeat at Easter Road in the Betfred Cup.