Wildcard Weekend

lichtie23

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Will that be Brees and Brady both done after making a c**t of it in the play-offs?

Tony Romo was heavily implying that Brady will be playing for another team next season. He might come back but he will probably insist that they get some help on offence. They didn't properly replace Gronk and it finally caught up with them last night.

Edited by mrpaddyx

Still think the overtime rules are shite which is magnified in the playoffs, yes of course I get that Saints could have made a stop and then they "only" have to kick a FG to win but think both teams should be given a shot regardless.
Bollocks that New Orleans don't get a chance to score a TD. Stupid rule. Ah well, at least the second game shouldn't start too late now.

Surely one possession each favours the team going second, as they know what they need??

I like the rule as it stands.

If it's a fg, let them match or beat it. But if they score a TD then it's done.

Maybe have a better way to determine possession than coin toss though. Fewest turnovers? Most yardage? Most first downs?

12 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I think they both return next season

Increasingly, it looks like they’ll both limp on for ever. Reason IMHO? Personal stats’. Specifically TD totals. Trading blows to get to 550, 555, whatever. Neither of them wants to retire first and allow the other one more season to take the crown. Forever maybe. I never thought that about either man, especially Brees, until this week.  The way I see it though, neither of them will go until Goodell shoots them. My money is on Brady playing next season with A.N. Other team, that team sucks, and Brady chucks it. Brees then opens the champagne, plays one more season himself, sucks, but has secured the TD crown. The Saints then move on with Taysom Hill and Teddy Bridgewater. The Patriots, having seen Josh McDaniels move on to be head coach elsewhere, now see Belichick announce his retirement. Edelman retires. Robert Kraft sells the Patriots to Mike Ashley, and they become bottom-feeders for fifty years. Bookmark this. It’s happening.

Edited by pozbaird

I think it's 99% Brees will be back in NO next year.

Brady I think will more likely than not be back in NE for one more year but they do have a ton of guys out of contract, below league average cap space, and no 2nd round pick in the draft this year. There is also the theory that Brady and Belichick want to win a ring without the other in tow.

There are a few teams who could throw silly money at him (Bucs, Chargers have a potential need and the cap space) but why on earth would you want to based on the season just finished?

Edited by Fuctifano

masterful dissection of numerous reasons why the Patriot dynasty has mis-fired; I think it's a really good analysis of the consequential steps over several years which conspired to weaken the roster and makes for a really interesting read - even if you struggle to put the gloating to one side and read it objectively through the tears of laughter...

How did the Patriots get here? 

(Barnwell's lengthy written piece - not the video clip)

22 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Defence held them to 9 points. Pretty decent effort if you ask me

The defence were playing against a 40 year old QB who was coaching high schoolers at the start of the year and was throwing to guys they had pulled out the crowd. Holding them to 9 points isn't that impressive.

The Seahawks should be embarrassed that the Eagles were still in the game at the end.

On 05/01/2020 at 23:17, pandarilla said:

Surely one possession each favours the team going second, as they know what they need??

I like the rule as it stands.

If it's a fg, let them match or beat it. But if they score a TD then it's done.

Maybe have a better way to determine possession than coin toss though. Fewest turnovers? Most yardage? Most first downs?

This is a great shout. Eliminate the coin toss by giving first possession in any OT scenario to the team with most TDs, most positive yardage, least turnovers, fumbles... tons of postive options, rather than a coin toss.

15 hours ago, Super_A said:

The defence were playing against a 40 year old QB who was coaching high schoolers at the start of the year and was throwing to guys they had pulled out the crowd. Holding them to 9 points isn't that impressive.

The Seahawks should be embarrassed that the Eagles were still in the game at the end.

Not really. That's been the case for every win bar one this season!