Arbroath vs Morton

The 2 previous games this season have been utterly turgid affairs. A Bobby Linn stunner of a free kick settled the game at Gayfield in October while an early Reece Lyon goal seen Morton get the 3 points at Cappilow in November.

Same starting XI from the win over ICT please in a game I feel we should be winning.

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

The 2 previous games this season have been utterly turgid affairs. A Bobby Linn stunner of a free kick settled the game at Gayfield in October while an early Reece Lyon goal seen Morton get the 3 points at Cappilow in November.

Same starting XI from the win over ICT please in a game I feel we should be winning.

Have to agree, the next 3 league games, we should be looking to win

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

The 2 previous games this season have been utterly turgid affairs. 

You've only had the misfortune to watch 2 Morton games so far this season, the vast majority of them could be described as this and I'd be very surprised if this changes on Saturday.

There's obviously ways to get this squad looking like a competitive and competent football team but Hopkin won't do it so I expect another turgid affair with Arbroath winning due to being more organised.

If there's no steak and black pudding pies to numb the pain I'll be pretty upset.

I agree we got through a tough december relatively unscathed but january is full of games we should be looking to win

I said 5 from the last 15 would've been great and that's what we've got, and I'm disappointed we never got 4 more too tbh. But that's encouraging.

40 points is enough for 8th usually, 5 more wins?

January is a big month. Winnable league games and the Scottish cup.

10 hours ago, Janne Lindberg's Laces said:

If there's no steak and black pudding pies to numb the pain I'll be pretty upset.

I was disappointed had hoped for a black pudding pie wae nae steak.

My preference is a chicken and black pudding pie.

Well after Thistle show we surely can only improve, hope the park is not as soft as the last game.

From the middle of December we were starting a run of four games that we really needed a minimum of 8 points from. The club contrived to be fucking useless enough to get the Queen of the South game called off when every other game in the SPFL was on, then we got the win we needed against Alloa only to make that count for f**k all with yet another rancid capitulation against Partick that has pretty much cut us adrift from Queen of the South and Arbroath.

If we lose this you can stick a fork in us. Even if Arbroath deteriorate over the course of the season and go on more winless runs we’re not turning over a 9 point deficit, Partick are going to grind out enough results to get comfortably clear of us, even if Ayr’s collapse continues they’re already way too far ahead for us to catch them and Queen of the South are winning too often to be a realistic target barring a collapse on the scale of last season. We need both a massive upturn in our own form and a total collapse from another side to avoid relegation and it has to start here.

Of course, Arbroath will be well aware of this and know this is exactly the type of game they need to be winning themselves. We’re in huge trouble.

Exactly 50 years ago, Arbroath played Morton at Gayfield also on 4th January 1969 in the old top tier, First Division. After winning promotion, we’d struggled for the first half of the season and not won a single game until that day. That changed with a storming 3-1 home win in the rain. We followed up by defeating Dundee Utd the following week. What sticks in my memory (apart from being my birthday) was the sheer will and determination of the team and home crowd (maybe 1,800) to get a result. Real loud chants from the home terraces and the noise from Gayfield could be heard throughout the town - you don’t get that now. It was quite uplifting. We eventually managed 5 wins in the second half of the season including away to Hibs, but ended bottom and were relegated after one season.

Can’t now recall scorers but few games have left such an impression. I’d definitely be delighted to see the same shared determination this Saturday. Can’t expect the same level of noise though.

Exactly 50 years ago, Arbroath played Morton at Gayfield also on 4th January 1969 in the old top tier, First Division. After winning promotion, we’d struggled for the first half of the season and not won a single game until that day. That changed with a storming 3-1 home win in the rain. We followed up by defeating Dundee Utd the following week. What sticks in my memory (apart from being my birthday) was the sheer will and determination of the team and home crowd (maybe 1,800) to get a result. Real loud chants from the home terraces and the noise from Gayfield could be heard throughout the town - you don’t get that now. It was quite uplifting. We eventually managed 5 wins in the second half of the season including away to Hibs, but ended bottom and were relegated after one season.

Can’t now recall scorers but few games have left such an impression. I’d definitely be delighted to see the same shared determination this Saturday. Can’t expect the same level of noise though.

Scorers were Wilkie and Jimmy Jack (2). The atmosphere was usually fantastic that season, especially the few times we won. I remember the Aberdeen game being quite something. I remember losing 5-1 to Rangers at Gayfield. I think it was Colin Stein’s debut for Rangers and he got a hat trick - 3 fouls on Ian Stirling leading to the goals of course. The week after we were at home to Celtic and lost 5-0 but I’m sure we hit the bar 3 times.

Scorers were Wilkie and Jimmy Jack (2). The atmosphere was usually fantastic that season, especially the few times we won. I remember the Aberdeen game being quite something. I remember losing 5-1 to Rangers at Gayfield. I think it was Colin Stein’s debut for Rangers and he got a hat trick - 3 fouls on Ian Stirling leading to the goals of course. The week after we were at home to Celtic and lost 5-0 but I’m sure we hit the bar 3 times.

My dad always tells me that at this time Stirling was the wealthiest footballer in Britain

6 hours ago, farflung lichtie said:

Exactly 51 years ago you mean, which is probably the number of goal attempts our shambolic formation will allow you in this game.

From the middle of December we were starting a run of four games that we really needed a minimum of 8 points from. The club contrived to be fucking useless enough to get the Queen of the South game called off when every other game in the SPFL was on, then we got the win we needed against Alloa only to make that count for f**k all with yet another rancid capitulation against Partick that has pretty much cut us adrift from Queen of the South and Arbroath.
If we lose this you can stick a fork in us. Even if Arbroath deteriorate over the course of the season and go on more winless runs we’re not turning over a 9 point deficit, Partick are going to grind out enough results to get comfortably clear of us, even if Ayr’s collapse continues they’re already way too far ahead for us to catch them and Queen of the South are winning too often to be a realistic target barring a collapse on the scale of last season. We need both a massive upturn in our own form and a total collapse from another side to avoid relegation and it has to start here.
Of course, Arbroath will be well aware of this and know this is exactly the type of game they need to be winning themselves. We’re in huge trouble.

Fuckin doom merchant

4th January 2014 was when an insipid defeat at Dumbarton turned into the shame game of the season; things are very much pointing in the same direction for the anniversary match. 

This one gets an official 8/10 shame game rating, due to the 2/10 chance that we'll actually win the game instead.