Six Continents (take two)

AsimButtHitsASix

I applied for any job going between the Chinese season ending and New Year. Knocked back a lot of jobs that weren't at the level I needed (I'm not gonna win a continental trophy with Norwich) and, after none of the bigger clubs came a knocking, decided to stick out another year at G R&F. Figured the quadruple of Super Cup, Chinese Cup, Chinese League and AFC Champions League wasn't beyond me and would further my rep. I had a young squad that was only getting better.

Then out of the blue Gremio came back and offered me the job. Only allowed five foreign players in my matchday squad but no squad limits that I can see anywhere (Syrian and Haitian players aren't counted as foreign weirdly enough). Squad looks average for the Brazilian top flight. I have one wonderkid being chased by Liverpool and Real Madrid but gave them the KB as he has two years left on his deal. No plans to make huge signings as the regional competition has just started (only one game which we won before I arrived) so I'm happy to give the guys I have this competition to sort out my squad. Two Brazilian internationals who left the Brazilian league in the last two years and are struggling at Real and Man City are arriving on loan and they were both averaging well above 7 before they left so presume they'll smash this league. Squad is really well balanced in the hierarchy page. A handful of team leaders and the like so when players have went a bit moody about me deciding to loan them out a chat with the captain sorts them right out each time.

Almost an entirely Brazilian squad with a few Argentinians in the first team and a handful of foreigners in the reserves/youth team so room to bring in a few ex players. I brought Screve Benteke to R&F last season from Dauphin Noir and I'm considering bringing him here too. If Chinese domestic players weren't so overpriced, especially goalkeepers, I'd be nicking ma boy from R&F in a heartbeat.

Anyway the plan this year is to win the regional league, qualify for the Libertadores, semi finals of the Copa Sudamerica and snap up some good quality youngsters to supplement the next 2/3 years in Brazil.

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

Aint had a proper shuftie to be fair but the basics are the season is a winter season so, in the southern hemisphere, runs from (our) winter to winter January to November. The first part of the season is the regional leagues. I don't know how many there are or if each one is set up differently but they are entirely separate from the national league system. So I'm in the Guancho regional league and it seems to last about 2 or 3 months. Half my games are in Group A and the other half in Group B so I have no idea what the hell's that about. These regional leagues still have promotion and relegation. My Brazilian pal says the Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro regional leagues are almost seen as equivalent to the national league as they are the strongest regions but most managers use them as an extended pre-season but are still expected to do well in them. I guess similar to Premier league teams in the League Cup groups over here.

The national league top flight is Serie A. Cannae mind the numbers but I think it's an 18 team league playing home and away. As it's played after the regional leagues it looks like it will have a lot of midweek fixtures to fit it all in. A HUGE number of teams qualify for continental competition. I think it's like 6 for the Libertadores and the same for the Sudamerica. So over half the teams have continental competition places to aim for.

I think there's one national cup and there may be regional cups as well. My first time managing in Brazil. Really looking forward to it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_football_league_system

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_football_leagues_in_Brazil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campeonato_Gaúcho

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campeonato_Brasileiro_Série_A

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

I'm almost ready to jack in Philly Union 2 months into the new season. I won the MLS Cup last season through the Wild Card by absolute luck but didn't get a NA Champions League place?! Mental. New season is shite tae, drawing most of my games, losing by  the odd goal because my strikers are missing so many easy chances that they were burying last year. Fernando Torres doesn't arrive until late June which is still a couple of months away and 38 year old Xavi isn't able to do it all. 

So tempted to move to Asia as soon as a decent job opens up but I feel once Torres comes and starts finishing these chances that we'll be fine. 

Guacho state league or whatever the f**k it was called...
image.png.7159dfc481404eb3a1eab4911aee07fc.png

image.thumb.png.f727327a30b301266016c6676ba88bf0.png

image.png.c07a0f42603640563c4a1ef551f422cc.png

Pretty straight forward?

Naw. 

There is also this table
image.thumb.png.9bbd72714ffa5fbf73f890c1cd210206.png

So there will be another group, B1, which is another mini league like the first but with all the teams I never played first time (I think?) and we will do the whole thing over again with semi finals and finals BUT all the group stage matches will be added to the table above to find an overall winner as well.

Anyway SC Internacional are our biggest rivals (one of the biggest derbies in Brazil) and another Serie A side so the fact I smashed the 4-0 bodes well for the future. Although there is always the chance they didn't take it as seriously as I? My board told me to take it pretty fucking serious.

Only weak position in the squad was a right back and splashed out a coupla million for a Colombian fella who looks good. Aside from the two loans I mentioned earlier I've snapped up a bunch of free transfers to bulk out the squad where there isn't much depth. All the guys I've signed are 30+ experienced internationals who I expect to stick around for a year. Will, hopefully, challenge for the title but my main aim is Libertadores qualification. The money I'm saving by not spending much and not putting out huge amounts of wages means I can identify which parts of my squad need work and go for quality over quantity long term.

I'm on the brink of being sacked at Philly. Started the season in awful form and sit bottom of the Eastern Conference. Ultimatum time end of May- take 11 points from next 5 games to keep your job.

Started well enough, absolutely skelped Montreal 5-0 at home before going down 2-0 away to NYCFC and a draw away to Kansas. 

Got a couple of weeks until Fernando Torres jets in, I won't even bloody see him play!

In the meantime I turned down a job in China and a team in Malaysia who couldn't agree compensation for me. Starting to worry I've made a mistake with that. 

Got the laptop back this afternoon :D 

FIRED! 

Was talking shite before. Had beaten Minnesota 5-0 but then a narrow defeat away to Dallas saw a US Cup win and a draw at home to NYCFC which was a decent result. 

Fuckers fired me and after a week I've taken up the vacant Portland job on my birthday. 

First game is away to Philly in 2 days time!! 

Lost the first game in Philly. Lost about 4 from my 5 games! They didn't even sign Torres in the end due to the international roster rules and the squad was so unbalanced so took up the reigns at Shanghai Shenhua with a third of their season left. 

China here I come. 

China's great craic. I strongly advise focusing on splashing your spending money on the best Chinese Players and getting your quality foreigners in as free transfers/bosmans.

Also there's not many of them but getting a half decent Hong Kongese or Chinese Taipei or Macanese player in is helpful. Will Donkin is a decent all round from Chinese Taipei who can cover a few positions

Lost the first game in Philly. Lost about 4 from my 5 games! They didn't even sign Torres in the end due to the international roster rules and the squad was so unbalanced so took up the reigns at Shanghai Shenhua with a third of their season left. 
China here I come. 
Make your own thread
Jobbie