Six Continents (take two)

AsimButtHitsASix

Untitled.thumb.png.144d32c3814e5a3c6e9576a6a8ed88c6.png

Despite the good start to the previous attempt I think downloading league data packs from different creators caused it to crash. So I got Timo's World Expansion super pack and will be taking leagues from that in my attempt to win the six main continental competitions. But which nations to choose from?

Well any nation that's had a club that's played in the Club World Cup will get a berth and any nation that's had a club reach their continental competition final in the last decade will also get a loading up. And Scotland. So that gives me...

AFC (Asia)
Australia
China
Iran
Japan
Qatar
Saudi Arabia
South Korea
United Arab Emirates

CAF (Africa)
Algeria
Democratic Republic of Congo
Egypt
Morocco
Nigeria
South Africa
Tunisia

CONCACAF (North and Central America)
Canada*
Costa Rica
Mexico
United States of America

*Vancouver made the final as a qualifier from the MLS but I'll add in Canada anyway

CONMEBOL (South America)
Argentina
Brazil
Colombia
Ecuador
Mexico*
Paraguay
Uruguay

*For reasons I don't understand Guadalajara made the Copa Libertadores final one year. Would have included them from CONCACAF anyway

OFC (Oceania)
Fiji
Papua New Guinea
New Caledonia

New Zealand
Tahiti
Vanuatu

UEFA (Europe)
England
Germany
Italy
Spain
Scotland*

*I'm from Scotland. Every other league only has the top flights loaded up. Scotland goes right down to tier 6
(the ones struck out didn't load up correctly or weren't available in the world pack)

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

Decided to take the first job I was offered instead of delaying and checking out ma options. Ended up with...

Golden Star FC of Nigeria. Projected to finish 18th out of 20. Entirely amateur and not a single player or backroom member of staff at the club

Nigerian squad rules are a limit of 35 players, 5 foreigners and each match day squad must have at least four players trained at a club from Nigeria,

Season 1 Halfway point. Jigawa Golden Stars FC. Nigerian Premier Division.

Well I don't think I'm any closer to winning a continental title but I am having a fucking monster of a season...
image.png.a0c00ad7dadda4f5ddb337dc3872522c.png

Predicted to finish 18th I just had a quick look and it appears there are 3 amateur teams (me and the bottom two) and one part time team (Delta Force) and the rest are full time professional. Enyimba just signed Ogbinna the ex West Ham striker earlier in the year. I'm probably gonna f**k off at the end of the year. Only the top team makes the African Champions League and 2nd goes into the African version of the UEFA Cup. I fully expect all my best players to leave as they're all amateur and the professional sides will pick them off. Been a good laugh tho'. The league is tightly packed. Six months long with two games a week the entire time. I'm constantly sending folk away on two week holidays before they die of exhaustion.

image.thumb.png.5fe5c02efff5bdfb9122e9ef982bc995.png

Regarding those players I signed my five foreigners, all decent players, but got offered a handful of other free transfer foreign guys throughout the season who I signed up despite not being able to play them in the league as they might be useful in the cups. There is no transfer window or registration window once the league starts. Who I had on day one I have to use all year. Now I do not have a single left footed player in my squad. I got on ML and WBL but both are right footed. I always play with a DL and AML so they've been used more than others but DMs, SCs, DCs and AMRs have been getting shunted out there a lot as well. I literally signed every player I could and made up the numbers by signing a few greyed out players on contracts (even they didn't have a left back amazingly). My squad is VERY lopsided with about 8 strikers. Nshimirimana is a great goal scoring winger, Chigozie is solid in defence, Joel is hit and miss but keeps dinking them in from 25 yards whenever I think about dropping him. The best of the bunch is this week guy...

image.thumb.png.8600ee626c9bdd54f7e66d0d383f7b1e.png

Couldn't play him for the first coupla months as he was on international duty with Nigeria U23s but scored a hat trick of free kicks on his debut. Some niggling injuries, being that young he keeps needing rested, and international call ups has limited his playing time but he's fucking awesome.

Well the 2nd half didn't go quite as well as the first. Was still genuine contenders for the title with ten games to go. Ended up here...
image.png.394f79995b3d90bb25983383a9c073d1.png

The board would have bitten yer hand off for mid table at the start of the year and considering teh only other two amateur teams got 13 points between them it's still an achievement. Just a bit of a let down. Although that is partially because I done a lot of resting of players in the last quarter once both relegation and continental football were out the window to focus on the cup... 

image.png.66ad76d5ada99e707de82446215d935d.png

Yass! Was kinda unlucky in the final. Losing 2-0 to Enyimba as they took their chances and we, clearly, never. Decent payday all in as well. No continental football at the end of it tho. Here's how the squad looked by the end of the year...

image.thumb.png.2faf3917cc5673faa4780116e975079c.png

So the plan was to leave and find a better club but after a KB's the club said they were turning professional (not even semi-pro) and offered me a one year deal. A bit late perhaps as Said and a few others are away on free transfers but I've, mostly, brought in better as replacements so sticking around for a wee while longer. Maybe get my coaching badges and build my rep up

Season 2 halfway point. This year has been a disaster. Just boring as f**k. Team is annoyingly inconsistent. Doing what's expected from the board but just feels a bit shit. Been applying for jobs elsewhere but not even making shortlists. Currently studying for my Continental C badge. Using only 30% of my wage budget and club is still running at a fearsome loss so I almost certainly wont be here next year. Cut my losses before it starts going proper tits up
image.thumb.png.e74bd727155b9902e70420ffa9c31cdb.png

Looking at the squad I think we need to talk about Alfred. His stats are awesome. He's by far and away my best striker so I keep giving him chances but look at those returns. 1 goal in 15. Pathetic. Getting to the part of the season where players start falling apart due to the two games a week set up in Nigeria so will be some heavy rotation over the next couple of months. Hopefully our superior fitness levels will see us climb the table or at least get a cup run.

image.thumb.png.d26f005bdb56c70e7183749eb0a39b5e.png

Best player so far is this fella. Actually signed him on a free halfway through last year and he played in my cup games but couldn't be registered for league action. Gave him a professional contract as soon as I could and he's amazing anywhere along the three AM positions. A bit of a let down when played in MC but that's rare enough to not bother me.

image.thumb.png.76113c556b1e0379ec639861e00824e1.png

Here. Mind how I was sickened, sickened mind you, about how our annoying erratic shitey form was ruining the game for me? Well how did we go from that to this...
image.thumb.png.1ea1285f08acb00fe5040c03cbcac7b9.png

Well I'm glad you asked. Something to do with this run...

image.png.f24561cadc62c8003b3b386271aa959f.png

So did we go on and win the league? Or at least the cup? Well... the answer may surprise you

image.thumb.png.aa01c579d8a20f7fe5faccfd271b4f4b.png

I fucked off to the 2nd worst club in Vanuatu. 

Now that might seem like a hasty decision but, at the half way point in the season, we had no chance of winning the league and our patchy form meant we were unlikely to win the cup. So this mob from Vanuatu offered me the job and I said aye if they wait til the end of the season. However the date I moved turned out to be directly after the Nigerian Cup Semi final and with four games of the league to go and I couldn't cancel the move.

In the end I lost the semi-final anyway and, because of how other results went, I would have had to win all four of the last games while improving my goal difference by 12. Very unlikely. The caretaker won 2 and lost 2 to finish 4th. I doubt I would have done much better.

But why Vanuatu? Because of the amount of jobs I applied for where they said they wanted someone with a proven track record of winning trophies. These uber diddy leagues are (usually) a piece of piss to conquer so hoping to do that in the first season. Got a continental C license. Should be enough to get me a job in New Zealand. Maybe.

Season 3 halfway point. Smashing it mate

image.thumb.png.9b70cb7408c8fdffd926aaa34b7b34c0.png

As expected when you end up in the diddiest of diddy leagues it's a bit of a cake walk. Club are semi-pro but only offer pay as you play deals so no need to worry about wage bill. With that in mind I signed FUCKING EVERYONE. Every player in any of the national sides (including youth teams) of Polynesia as well as absolutely anyone who the scouts recommended from Vanuatu. Every club in this part of the world is amateur or semi pro so everyone's available on a free. My scouts still seem to think Tafea and Ifira's players should trounce mine but they are clearly wrong. Despite signing dozens of Tongans, Samoans and Tuvaluans and the like you can only have five foreigners in yer squad so my reserve is an Oceanic under 23s select. I aint gonna be here next season so the next manager in can sort out the wheat from the chaff. Here's the wheat tho...

image.thumb.png.4ca604f2cdfccff8303a4a8a1d03d771.png

Already broken the record for most goals in a season in the Vanuatan Premier Division. Was here on loan when I arrived at the club from Ifira but had only played 4 games that season with an average rating of 6.75. Still once of the best Vanuatan players available who was willing to come to me so snapped him up at the end of his contract. Just keeps popping up at the back post heading in goals. He's not scored in his last two tho'. Lazy shit is resting on his laurels.

image.thumb.png.b203330e8e6ae64f3198f196f82f7e3e.png

Playing Dick Iamak as a right winger most of the time and he's got 3, Kaltack, on the left, has 7 and Daniel has 6 as the centre forward. It's the pacific island version of Liverpool's front three. As you can see there's a coupla unregistered Papua New Guinean guys who've played in the cup as well. Got half a dozen unregistered guys in my first team squad for cup games when needed but only had one cup game so far. 

Also took the Malaysia international job at some point. Came 3rd out of 4 in the Asian Cup Qualifiers with Malaysia but managed draws against Thailand and Lebanon and humped Hong Kong so pretty pleased with it. Happy to jump ship to any other nation if a job comes up but it's a decent wee side quest for the moment.

f**k knows how this happened as Yatel finished 2nd bottom last year and got papped out the cup in the first round but...
image.png.0268d1d4bab32f5df9527ff103f2c497.png

I mean we'll get pumped by all three of those teams most likely. Not like we're gonna win it against New Zealand teams but, still, let's see how it goes...

Wee mini update. First of all the league
image.thumb.png.d853889943932d055da099e5563b5baa.png

Won the league with three games remaining. Two games left to go but I get nothing for winning the league. Need to win the play off. Seveners the only team to beat me so far and they fucking hammered me. Twice. 3-0 pumping in the cup then a similar shellacking in the league so not too keen on facing them again if it comes to it. 

Now... the O-League

image.thumb.png.25dc563bbb5a0333f94a0c3ec306250f.png

Did not see that coming. Pumped Marist Fire 7-0. Eastern Suburbs drew 0-0 with Toti City. I then drew 0-0 with Toti City which meant I HAD to draw with Eastern Suburbs. Despite them only drawing with Toti and only putting one past Marist I couldn't see it happening and I went 1-0 down within two minutes. Amazingly two goals in the 80th and 83rd minutes saw us come away with a surprising victory and, even better, knocking out one of the NZ teams. I mean surely we're not gonna win the thing but this has made it much more of a possibility.

Also left Malaysia for the Sierra Leone job

OK. League was won as you seen. Drew one and won one of the last two. The play offs are a semi final/final format and both are one off games at a neutral ground. First up was Mauwia. Beat them 3-1 in the first game of the season but smashed seven without reply next month. Surely another easy game?

image.thumb.png.14c0c23818381e3a8f413ee10fe06366.png

Oh they fucking hammered me. Especially in the first half. They missed sitters, they hit the bar, our keeper had a stormer. It's a minor miracle I made it to half time 0-0. I came into it more in the 2nd half and hit the woodwork twice myself but this was all built on my keeper bailing us out int he first 45. Look at the ratings my defence has compared to the rest. We were shite going forward until Iamak made the most of two defensive errors from them in extra time.

So onto the final. Luckily not against Seveners but Tafea. Who are Vanuatu's biggest team, by a distance, but only snuck into the play offs at the tail end of the season. Despatched them 4-1 at home in the first month of the season on 2-0 away just after the midway point but they've been on a run since then.

image.thumb.png.bf3abae13fd9aff545287934998d3085.png

Very similar story. They were by far the better team in the first half but, this time, instead of us riding the wave and improving in the 2nd 45 they just had a defender sent off for a mental challenge. Then they went to a 4-3-2 set up. So I told my team to use the wings and we overloaded and bombarded them in the 2nd half. We were very unlucky not to win it in the 90 in the end despite the horrendous start. Sokeyjack, the keeper, had another great game and is, amazingly my best penalty taker. He managed to save three penalties, score won and is my hero.

First trophy win of the save: Champions of Vanuatu.

But can I also get a continental cup while I'm here?

image.thumb.png.f1b1a710d4cbfc4b331a57159b3f2e42.png

Fairly straightforward in the end. Better team in the first leg and then two early goals away from home I made three subs at half time to keep legs fresh for the final. They clawed it back but progression was never in doubt. So what does this mean?

image.png.ae9a42d359c762e35fb6259acfdd14dd.png

Canterbury are 4-1 favourites. My missus is from New Zealand and I asked her to describe Canterbury in one word: "dunno"

Let's get into these nondescript peasants so I can f**k off out of Oceania once and for all. Look at the name of their home stadium for f**k's sake.

Oceania?

image.jpeg.8e2a20ed9d0711ac16ddfdf0614a82ca.jpeg

COMPLETED IT MATE
image.thumb.png.8981ac6c554b521788cf7d4ee2454a0a.png
image.png.c5a2d6915f838e07c9b749afa7d0bf09.png

Fairly straightforward win in the end. Will now apply for every job going and close all the Oceanic leagues from the game. So fucking chuffed. Came to Vanuatu because I was sick of Nigeria and, alright, I expected to win the league and hopefully move on to New Zealand but never, in my wildest dreams, imagined I would get a continent out of the way with the 7th best team in Vanuatu. Amazing stuff.

Basic 4-2-3-1 Attacking with Gegenpress for games at home/expecting to win and 4-1-2-2-1 positive for games I'm not expecting to win/away from home. For 4-1-2-2-1 I prefer my DM to be anchor man or half back to cover while my full backs attack (also allows me to play a centre back there if I don't have a good defensive midfielder). I tend to have one "winger" as an inside forward and the other to be a winger. When I have inside forward (support) on the right and winger (attack) on the left the left winger scores a lot. This doesn't work the other way round. It's annoying. 

Also no striking options seem to work with these tactics. Pressing forward tends to do better for the team but the striker in that role usually has a low rating/doesn't score as many. Have wing backs or, if good enough, complete wing backs in the full back positions. Attacking if they are playing behind an inside forward and support if behind a winger. I find playing one of my two CMs as a roaming play maker sees them score 5-10 goals a year but means the person next to them HAS to play ball winning midfielder (defend). Even at a low level I keep my centre backs as ball playing defenders. They almost never give the ball away for goals but occasionally play Pirlo-esque passes from nowhere for the wingers. 

For defending corners I leave three players attacking (either two forward and one at edge of area or vice versa) and get a decent amount on the counter attack.