Queen of the South vs Dundee United

42 minutes ago, dundeeunited83 said:

This, after every game, opposition fans come on here and slate how bad united are and especially shankland, getting boring af

14 points clear, drink it in

As well as being 14 points ahead we have also scored 11 more than the next best attack and conceded 6 less than the next best defence. In total, over the course of 20 games, our goal difference is +22 better than our nearest rival.

No bad given how often we're scraping these undeserved wins.

Not read through the whole thread, but thought I'd offer my brief thoughts (from a United perspective) on the game. 

Glass and Connolly were excellent for us, but the others (suppose you could make a case for Siegrist) were off their game. I felt Glass could have had a go at goal from 20 yards a few times (as he's been doing at Cove) , but maybe that will come with some game time. 

Will be a different side next week as suspect the injuries we picked up will keep those guys out a week or two. Added to Butcher's suspension, Neilson might have to pick an unusual team. 

Sporle didn't cover himself in glory after finally getting a start. The QoS right back was booked early on, yet was rarely put under pressure. 

Another who finally got a chance (albeit short) was Smith - again failed to deliver. 

Great to get another 3 points on the board, that over the piece I felt we just deserved 

1 minute ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Sounds like a Get Promotion Done performance in Tory-land has upset some of the natives. 

Very good reading.

Not at all. That’s football and of course we will always have Brexit. X

Not read through the whole thread, but thought I'd offer my brief thoughts (from a United perspective) on the game. 
Glass and Connolly were excellent for us, but the others (suppose you could make a case for Siegrist) were off their game. I felt Glass could have had a go at goal from 20 yards a few times (as he's been doing at Cove) , but maybe that will come with some game time. 
Will be a different side next week as suspect the injuries we picked up will keep those guys out a week or two. Added to Butcher's suspension, Neilson might have to pick an unusual team. 
Sporle didn't cover himself in glory after finally getting a start. The QoS right back was booked early on, yet was rarely put under pressure. 
Another who finally got a chance (albeit short) was Smith - again failed to deliver. 
Great to get another 3 points on the board, that over the piece I felt we just deserved 

You had players off their game today? Wow. I wish they had been on it to see just how good they are. If they are performing like vintage Barcelona like today with poor performing players then it must be some spectacle when everyone is firing.

Was impressed with Glass tbh. For 19 he's very impressive and I expect he'll be the next big payday for Utd if they get him signed long term.

United shaded it but not much in it. Can’t recall either keeper having a save of distinction. We had the best chance in first half and Paton’s cross for Holt arguably set up the best second half chance.

A couple of things I think we got wrong today - Dobbie is our biggest goal threat and we played him in a wider role to accommodate Hamilton in central role. I honestly cannot remember another game involving Dobbs where he hasn’t had several shots at goal but apart from a free kick that hit the wall he never looked remotely like scoring. Wasted out wide.

Secondly and unless I am mistaken we did not have player on back post at the corner that led to the goal. Tactics and clever set play strategies have apparently come a long way in the last 20 years but when you are bringing 10/11players into your own box to defend a corner surely you have to have smaller players on each post. That was a great header from Connolly but a player on post would have comfortably cleared that off line. Basic stuff and very costly.

For us Kilday, Brownlie,Osman and Lyon did well but I was disappointed in Murray - we really needed him and he wasn’t at it today. Liked the look of young Declan Glass for United.

32 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

United shaded it but not much in it. Can’t recall either keeper having a save of distinction. We had the best chance in first half and Paton’s cross for Holt arguably set up the best second half chance.

A couple of things I think we got wrong today - Dobbie is our biggest goal threat and we played him in a wider role to accommodate Hamilton in central role. I honestly cannot remember another game involving Dobbs where he hasn’t had several shots at goal but apart from a free kick that hit the wall he never looked remotely like scoring. Wasted out wide.

Secondly and unless I am mistaken we did not have player on back post at the corner that led to the goal. Tactics and clever set play strategies have apparently come a long way in the last 20 years but when you are bringing 10/11players into your own box to defend a corner surely you have to have smaller players on each post. That was a great header from Connolly but a player on post would have comfortably cleared that off line. Basic stuff and very costly.

For us Kilday, Brownlie,Osman and Lyon did well but I was disappointed in Murray - we really needed him and he wasn’t at it today. Liked the look of young Declan Glass for United.

Given the players available, I cant see much other choice but to play Dobbie out wide. The 4-3-3 has been working well lately so it made sense to stick with it today. Switching to 4-4-2 was an option but Paton hasnt looked great out wide and that would have left Lyon and Osman against 3 Utd central midfielders.

Both Murray and Dobbie stayed up for corners today, which is unusual. That would be why there was no one on the posts

39 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Not saying Cammy is going to be a player for us, but its a bit of a joke criticising him for not performing in the few minutes he got on the park when he was probably instructed to run down the clock as best as possible.

When was the last time he got a real chance to deliver? According to this he's got more than 20 minutes on the park on just 4 occasions this season.

30 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Our best players were all defenders we really need more of a goal threat but those type of players cost money something we don't have a lot of we can't even fill the bench .

Untied budget is over 3 million ours will be nowhere near that !!!

Given the players available, I cant see much other choice but to play Dobbie out wide. The 4-3-3 has been working well lately so it made sense to stick with it today. Switching to 4-4-2 was an option but Paton hasnt looked great out wide and that would have left Lyon and Osman against 3 Utd central midfielders.
Both Murray and Dobbie stayed up for corners today, which is unusual. That would be why there was no one on the posts

No prob with 4-3-3 but Hamilton has played in a wider role in some earlier games and could have done a job there to leave Dobbie where he can hurt teams. It is all academic now but in my opinion that was a mistake.

2 hours ago, ALOREBURNE said:

Sky sports Score Centre app. Mistakes are common with the ‘pub leagues’. 

Cheers. To be fair the stats guy have seconds to get their info across, but aye the mistakes are rife.

2 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

First half United dominated and with their pace and movement it seemed like they had an extra man on the pitch. 

They also closed us down very quickly all game which prevented us finding any rhythm which probably contributed to us going long more than normal.

Completely agree. Surprised to see so many saying the game was even in the first half. United were much sharper.

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Crowd 2041 come on surely more than that today...... 

Dunno. Main stand was much busier than usual but the terrace looked unusually sparse.

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

Glass and Connolly were excellent for us... 

...I felt Glass could have had a go at goal from 20 yards a few times (as he's been doing at Cove) , but maybe that will come with some game time. 

Surprised this was the first mention of Glass (that I've noticed) I thought he was excellent in the 1st half, every bit the star player he's promising to become. I've seen him for Cove and in the reserves before today and am not at all surprised he's stepped up so comfortably. I'm sure the shots (and goals) will come as his confidence in the 1st team grows. No idea the games played threshold but wouldn't be surprised if he's picking up two league winners medals at the end of the season. 

I only noticed that after the goal. I assumed they changed it so Utd had one less body in the box.

27 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

No prob with 4-3-3 but Hamilton has played in a wider role in some earlier games and could have done a job there to leave Dobbie where he can hurt teams. It is all academic now but in my opinion that was a mistake.

He has but not to great effect. Dobbie is capable of hurting teams wherever he plays. The problem is, at the moment, he isnt

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I only noticed that after the goal. I assumed they changed it so Utd had one less body in the box.

Definitely did it first half too.

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I would have been happy with Dobbie playing off Hamilton. That is what worked with Dykes partnership and I think gives him more time and space than playing sole role up front. It didn't work today and I thought at time his first touch and lay off were awful. It takes time to form partnerships and I though Hamilton did OK. He didn't gave centre halves time to settle - just take time to forge that partnership 

Edited by queenslad

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
7 hours ago, Toshson said:
That must be the worst display of time wasting that I've ever seen at a football match. Thought the new rule was that they had to leave the pitch at the nearest point.
It looks like this shower of shite are going up, but it won't be long till they're back down again. I bet the likes of Hamilton and Ross County are looking forward to an easy game next season.

I'm more angry with our inept performance tbh. Sadly I expect AJ will focus on the time-wasting as well and it'll distract from how shite we were. It was pathetic but it had nothing to do with our defeat. We can't even say Utd did it to break up play when we were getting a foothold on the game because it never happened.

Agree with this. ^^

I couldn't really care less about how Dundee United "managed"  the game,  the end justifies the means and all that, they go home with the 3 points so job well done for them. Missing key players from an already meagre squad is always going to be a problem and we definitely missed Pybus and El-Bakh today,  but when  the available players you look to hopefully cause the opposition problems don't perform as they can,  Murray and Dobbie as examples,   it makes it even more difficult and frustrating. The scoreline was probably a fair overall reflection on the game imo,  United just shading it without being greatly impressive, or really needing to be for that matter.  

I'd forgotten that the corner came about so cheaply.  Kilday made a right mess of the situation.

Thereafter, it's a really good header, but he has too much space, while only one post is being guarded.

I can't imagine a full highlights package lasting much longer, to be honest.

Last year set pieces was one of our weaknesses which I thought had been much better this year, helped by a keeper who will come off his line with confidence. Leaving 2 up is I think a good tactic, it ties up 3 opposition players and the hope is that if your keeper gets the ball in his hands he looks to release it quickly and set up an attack.

However,  clearly yesterday something went wrong, it seemed Kilday’s man got a free header and Osman seemed to be in no mans land. As others have said, a man on the post would have stopped it.

Overall, it always had the look of a 1-0, we had our two best inventive players (Dobbs and Murray) not really firing on all cylinders, we lacked any guile around the box. I thought United took a risk in grinding out a 1-0,  it handed the initiative back to us and on other days we could have sneaked an equaliser. 
Although not sure how Hamilton missed from 4 yards, that would have made a big difference. I think it was the only good save either keeper made in the whole game. Can’t have been very exciting for neutrals.....

3 hours ago, QOSQOS said:

Although not sure how Hamilton missed from 4 yards, that would have made a big difference. I think it was the only good save either keeper made in the whole game.

Liam Smith has a good shot from outside the box tipped just wide by McCrorie in the 2nd half. There was one from Declan Glass too but I cant remember if that was saved or just wide. Certainly cant remember Siegrist having to make a save other than after Dobbie's early interception

Edited by DG.Roma