Queen of the South vs Dundee United

IMO, time wasting is everything that's wrong with modern football. Unless it's your team doing it. Then it's fine.

Arbroath did it spectacularly to us back at Tannadice earlier this season, although Shankland sucker punched them right at the end of that game. 

Referees are just as culpable because they let teams that are out to do it get away with it for ages before flashing a token booking at the keeper when the game is almost done.

As for yesterday, great 3 points for us considering the hiding we took last time at Palmerston. Glad to hear Glass did well, but praying whatever caused Butcher to go off is a relatively minor issue.

I’d like to think you’re tight, but Johnson’s lack of willingness to criticise Trump’s actions makes me think we are going to get dragged into it.  I hope I’m wrong.

We should send out a deputation of Nicola,Mhairi Black and Johanna Cherry to Iran to sort out the mess...........if that doesn’t scare the Iranians nothing will.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

Dundee United: good at game management and romping the league.

Queens: butthurt at said game management and notorious for throwing away points due to late goals.

Rather than the tedious whinging perhaps we should be learning from yesterday.

I guarantee not a single one of the posters complaining will say a word if we run the clock down in similar fashion up in Inverness next week.

It doesn’t seem to matter what the opposition do after they score first, so far this season we have been incapable of winning a league game after going behind. We have conceded first 8 times in the league and have only taken a single point out of 24. That was against Dunfermline on 10 August. We have lost the last 7 league games in a row after we’ve gone behind.

If you include 3 Cup games, the only time we have come back to win in 11 games was at Dumbarton. So the overall record is one win, one draw, 9 defeats. 

44 minutes ago, Flash said:

It doesn’t seem to matter what the opposition do after they score first, so far this season we have been incapable of winning a league game after going behind. We have conceded first 8 times in the league and have only taken a single point out of 24. That was against Dunfermline on 10 August. We have lost the last 7 league games in a row after we’ve gone behind.

If you include 3 Cup games, the only time we have come back to win in 11 games was at Dumbarton. So the overall record is one win, one draw, 9 defeats. 

Genuine question:

How do these figures compare with averages for other sides?  They look quite stark, but of course, any team's chances of losing must increase dramatically if they find themselves behind during the match.  

I take the point that we look unlikely to turn things round on going behind, but I'd be interested to learn how unique or otherwise we are in that respect.

15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Genuine question:

How do these figures compare with averages for other sides?  They look quite stark, but of course, any team's chances of losing must increase dramatically if they find themselves behind during the match.  

I take the point that we look unlikely to turn things round on going behind, but I'd be interested to learn how unique or otherwise we are in that respect.

I don’t know the stats for other sides.

I do know that Annan have come from 2 goals down to draw at least once, Clyde have come from 2 goals down to win at least once, Alloa have come from 2 goals down to draw at least once, Dundee have come from a goal down to draw at least once and Thistle have come from a goal down to win at least once.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Genuine question:

We also came from two goals behind to draw at Morton in the Betfred Cup but it's not in Flash's stats because we actually scored first in the game.

Inevitably though, as you note, in a relatively tight division (United apart) teams falling behind in games are not all that likely to win. Highlighting that we do so infrequently isn't really saying much. We haven't come from behind to win in the League so far this season. We have only come from behind to draw once (against Dunfermline as Flash said). In the opposite direction we lost to Thistle at the start of December having led most of the game obviously. Alloa away (we were 2 up) and Dundee at home we were held to draws having had the lead. Dundee away also eventually pegged us back to level in injury time only for us to get a freak winner 30 seconds later.

We've certainly dropped more points from winning positions (7) than we've gained from losing ones (1) but it's a fairly small population sample. Plus numerically it's skewed by the fact you lose 2 points for drawing instead of winning but gain only one for the opposite.

51 minutes ago, Flash said:

I don’t know the stats for other sides.

I do know that Annan have come from 2 goals down to draw at least once, Clyde have come from 2 goals down to win at least once, Alloa have come from 2 goals down to draw at least once, Dundee have come from a goal down to draw at least once and Thistle have come from a goal down to win at least once.

Yes, it's one of those things that seems to happen 'to' us more frequently than we can manage to inflict it on others.

It's a bit like the late goals thing.  It seems that we drop points late in games far more often than we pick them up.  I think it turned out that this was indeed the case with late goals and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the picture is similar regarding comebacks.

I'm just interested to learn whether or not the numbers support the sense we get.

In an entertainment industry, I get that time wasting is frustrating. There's not a single club that wouldn't do it in the scenario United were in though. Complaining about it is futile and pointless because no doubt in a couple of weeks QotS will be in a position where they start time wasting. Necessary evil.

Plus, there's nothing better than the odd occasion when your team makes a dramatic comeback against a team that's been wasting time.

Impressive to get 7 minutes worth of highlights from that. Hamilton's is a sitter for me. He hits that to the left it's a goal. Awful goal to concede but a cracking header.

Good to see the Osman 50/50 included. Should have been sent off for it according to some of the Utd fans foaming at the mouth [emoji38]

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Impressive to get 7 minutes worth of highlights from that. Hamilton's is a sitter for me. He hits that to the left it's a goal. Awful goal to concede but a cracking header.

Good to see the Osman 50/50 included. Should have been sent off for it according to some of the Utd fans foaming at the mouth emoji38.png

I think that's harsh on Hamilton. It flies across at him and he turns it goalward and on target. I'm not sure he could reasonably have been expected to do much more. It hits Liam Smith and then gets fortunately stuck between his legs for Siegrist to fall on rather than pinballing back into goal. I think that's more unlucky than anything else.

Corner is a little cheap and the marking from the otherwise faultless Kilday isn't good enough but it's a great header and McCrorie can't quite get it. As others said before, any defender on the back post simply nods it away though.

Osman 50/50? Are we talking about the clash of heads in front of the BDS Stand? It's never a foul.

Hamilton was Infront of the ball when he hit it. If he'd timed his run better then he would have got a cleaner hit at it. Not so sure its a sitter as its actually good defending. 

As for the Osman "foul." I take it you mean the good challenge near the corner where he got his foot to the ball before the defender skipped past him? Never a foul.

I thought Kilday was pretty weak at defending for their goal, gave the attacker too much space and put in a pea hearted attempt at defending the corner. 

I think that's harsh on Hamilton. It flies across at him and he turns it goalward and on target. I'm not sure he could reasonably have been expected to do much more. It hits Liam Smith and then gets fortunately stuck between his legs for Siegrist to fall on rather than pinballing back into goal. I think that's more unlucky than anything else.
Corner is a little cheap and the marking from the otherwise faultless Kilday isn't good enough but it's a great header and McCrorie can't quite get it. As others said before, any defender on the back post simply nods it away though.
Osman 50/50? Are we talking about the clash of heads in front of the BDS Stand? It's never a foul.
Hamilton was Infront of the ball when he hit it. If he'd timed his run better then he would have got a cleaner hit at it. Not so sure its a sitter as its actually good defending. 
As for the Osman "foul." I take it you mean the good challenge near the corner where he got his foot to the ball before the defender skipped past him? Never a foul.
I thought Kilday was pretty weak at defending for their goal, gave the attacker too much space and put in a pea hearted attempt at defending the corner. 
I'm talking about the header. The state the Utd fans got in was pretty amusing. Absolutely foaming at the mouth with many shouts for Osman to be sent off. Incredible how tinted some fans are. Osman wasn't even looking at the boy.

23 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Impressive to get 7 minutes worth of highlights from that. Hamilton's is a sitter for me. He hits that to the left it's a goal. 

I'd agree - It's a bad miss.

He needs to be a little cleverer with the finish, but instead knocks it into the populated area.  It all happened at speed, but we're needing our front players to score from chances that good.

23 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm talking about the header. The state the Utd fans got in was pretty amusing. Absolutely foaming at the mouth with many shouts for Osman to be sent off. Incredible how tinted some fans are. Osman wasn't even looking at the boy.

Tbf, it probably is a foul and he broke Robson's cheekbone. It's not a bad foul and it's not intentional but Robson gets the ball first and then Osman sticks his head in his face.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting he should have been sent off or booked. There was nothing in it. Still it was probably technically a foul and a sore one for Robson.

Edited by Pull My Strings