Time or Money

Sortmeout

Following the sad passing of Colin Weir yesterday a comment from another poster along the lines of  the guy only had 8 years to enjoy his lottery win (after working all his days before that) got me thinking about whether I would swap the rest of my life for this kind of money. Of course I understand this wasn’t a choice Mr Weir made but I was just wondering what you guys would choose.

Of course if you are 18 then the idea of only having 8 years left wouldn’t be very attractive so I thought about it in a different way. The average living age in the UK is almost 81, with Mr Weir living until the age of 71.

Roughly, or for the purposes of this question, Mr Weir made it halfway between winning the money and hitting the life expectancy figure (almost 10 years with the money, almost 10 years younger than the average life expectancy.

Would you swap half of the time you have left for £150 million? If you are 40 and I offered you that money but you would only make 60 would you take it? If you are 20 then I would be offering you 30 years for that kind of money?

Personally I don’t have a clue if I would take it. I’m 33 so 81-33= 48. 48/2=24. So potentially I would miss out on things like my daughter getting married, having grandkids etc.

Will be interesting to see the different views depending on your age. 

Following the sad passing of Colin Weir yesterday a comment from another poster along the lines of  the guy only had 8 years to enjoy his lottery win (after working all his days before that) got me thinking about whether I would swap the rest of my life for this kind of money. Of course I understand this wasn’t a choice Mr Weir made but I was just wondering what you guys would choose.
Of course if you are 18 then the idea of only having 8 years left wouldn’t be very attractive so I thought about it in a different way. The average living age in the UK is almost 81, with Mr Weir living until the age of 71.
Roughly, or for the purposes of this question, Mr Weir made it halfway between winning the money and hitting the life expectancy figure (almost 10 years with the money, almost 10 years younger than the average life expectancy.
Would you swap half of the time you have left for £150 million? If you are 40 and I offered you that money but you would only make 60 would you take it? If you are 20 then I would be offering you 30 years for that kind of money?
Personally I don’t have a clue if I would take it. I’m 33 so 81-33= 48. 48/2=24. So potentially I would miss out on things like my daughter getting married, having grandkids etc.
Will be interesting to see the different views depending on your age. 

f**k that, Rob a bank and head to Brazil. Have both ffs

I recently took a large cut in pay in exchange for being at home with my wife and kids instead of away for weeks at a time.

No amount of money can buy that time back. I am definitely a time over money guy.

That said, 150 million is an amount that would give me pause...

I’m nearly 60, so if the time I’m giving up is the time I’ll be pishing my breeks and being a decripit auld cnut waiting for death... gie’s the cash, now. However, if I could be like David Attenborough - waltzing along quite the thing at an age of approximately 150... gie’s the life.

Decisions, decisions.

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

I’ll take the money in exchange for a swift and painless end.

You see some poor souls out there. Dogs get treated better.

I agree with this. In my line of work I've seen some very poor souls indeed for whom you wish they would just fall asleep so as they don't have to suffer living in the anguish that they do. Even without the money I'd be happier living until 75 or so with no major health issues and just dying peacefully so if you offered me that kind of sum, extreme polls style, then I would take it knowing what the catch would be.