St. Mirren v Kilmarnock 29/12/19

Enjoyable game, although I suspect Killie fans might disagree. If we had been more composed when getting into shooting range, could, and should, have scored four or five easy. Thought the referee and linesmen were absolutely woeful - for both teams. He ended up awarding us at least three or four free kicks for absolutely nothing, while ignoring a few yellow-card worthy offences prior. The linesman on the West Stand side never knew what day of the week it was, much less who the throw-in was for. 

Great away support as always. 

For all Killie were shite, I thought Goodwin got it spot on today. We were attacking and took the pressure off the defence by getting right in their faces from the top throughout. We also got the ball forward quickly and with purpose, no fannying about, and they struggled to deal with Obika who absolutely dominated the centre halfs. If only he could finish. Obviously the big worry is that we didn't score more, but with a makeshift back four who ended up absolutely strolling it we can't be too upset. Great result and very important when you look at the results for the teams around us. Killie are not safe.

39 minutes ago, Stu said:

Makeshift back four strolled that. Thought Sow coming on would maybe cause them problems due to his physicality but forgot he was shite. His passback was a thing of beauty, almost matched by the Killie player who fell over so decided to grab the ball and award himself a free-kick. Thankfully the linesman was right beside it and wasn't having any of it.

Should have won by a few more and was slightly worried we'd be made to pay for it. Shame Sportscene didn't show the one where Durmus and MacPherson got in each other's way trying to get onto Obika's pass!

They did, in the post match bit, where they showed all the chances we missed.

It ended up a decent block by one of the Killie defenders, once MacPherson had finally decided to shoot.

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

They did, in the post match bit, where they showed all the chances we missed.

It ended up a decent block by one of the Killie defenders, once MacPherson had finally decided to shoot.

Looked at the time like MacPherson just needed to step over it and let Durmus hit it. Will need to see it again though. Our strikers still have a serious confidence issue. I'm not sure Morais or Obika would have scored Durmus goal, they both seem to be over thinking things. Obika always trying to place it, Morais always trying to hammer it. Both need a bit more composure and learn to take the correct option.

The moment Sow  :lol:  came on I was sure Killie wouldn't score since surely they must be someone better than him at the club. 

What on earth did anybody think at Kilmarnock that bringing this guy in on loan was a good idea  ?

When you look at his shoulders, he looked more kitted up for American football rather than the round ball game.

As usual, excellent away support from the Killie fans  :thumsup2

30 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

The moment Sow  :lol:  came on I was sure Killie wouldn't score since surely they must be someone better than him at the club. 

What on earth did anybody think at Kilmarnock that bringing this guy in on loan was a good idea  ?

When you look at his shoulders, he looked more kitted up for American football rather than the round ball game.

As usual, excellent away support from the Killie fans  :thumsup2

How he gets a game before Simeon Jackson is anyone's guess. 

11 hours ago, GAD said:

Looked at the time like MacPherson just needed to step over it and let Durmus hit it. Will need to see it again though. Our strikers still have a serious confidence issue. I'm not sure Morais or Obika would have scored Durmus goal, they both seem to be over thinking things. Obika always trying to place it, Morais always trying to hammer it. Both need a bit more composure and learn to take the correct option.

This isn't having a go at Goodwin at all, but it does concern me that we don't have anyone at the club who could coach the strikers in the art of striking. 

Goodwin's overall squad management seems to be excellent, but sometimes you need a little extra when it comes to giving players in certain positions that confidence. 

You'd imagine someone like Thommo* would be more than happy to do some freelance work once a week or something. 

* I always suspected ST and Jim didn't see completely eye to eye, so it might need to be someone other than Thommo.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Guest Moomintroll
This isn't having a go at Goodwin at all, but it does concern me that we don't have anyone at the club who could coach the strikers in the art of striking. 
Goodwin's overall squad management seems to be excellent, but sometimes you need a little extra when it comes to giving players in certain positions that confidence. 
You'd imagine someone like Thommo* would be more than happy to do some freelance work once a week or something. 

* I always suspected ST and Jim didn't see completely eye to eye, so it might need to be someone other than Thommo.
What is this striking of which you speak?

8 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
22 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

What is this striking of which you speak?

In Killie's case, it's when your forward players down tools and refuse to work any more.

22 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Funnily enough I always got the impression Thommo and Goodwin were quite good pals, but who knows. To be honest, I actually think Thommo has no interest in being involved in coaching these days, whether we asked him to or not.

I do agree with you though, a wee bit of investment in a strikers coach to get the most out of what we already have would seem sensible. With Morais and Obika it's really starting to come together with all other aspects of their game, but we really need them scoring. With Obika as well you often think getting a few lucky ones will boost the confidence, but it hasn't really for him, in terms of finishing anyway.

4 minutes ago, tam the bud said:

I had totally forgotten all about him being at Killie. 

Only reason I can think of Sow coming on in place of Jackson is the manager wanted more height in the team.

They certainly shelled plenty of balls in his direction, but , for the most part, Foley and McLoughlin dealt with him very well.

Apparently Foley was saying in the club after the game, that he hasn't ever played centre half before yesterday.:lol: