St Johnstone vs Ross County 29/12/2019

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Felt like the type of game we were losing earlier this season.

At least we got a reminder of the weaknesses going into the January window.

Personally, I'd be disappointed if we finish below County, Hamilton or Hearts this season, feel like we consistently outplay all three every time we've faced them this season.

Agree, and it could be argued we maybe pinched the three points at Hamilton when we possibly didn't deserve to, so maybe evens itself out.

Just worth noting that despite our good run of results, we're only 2 points off the play off place and have only beaten Hamilton and Hearts in the league this season.  

Big recent improvement, but a hell of a lot of work still to be done.

Just now, PauloPerth said:

Big recent improvement, but a hell of a lot of work still to be done.

Keep repeating it so much it wont come true, but 38 points should keep you safe. We now need 18 from 19 games. 

First half of the season we got 20 from 19, despite not winning a game for the first 11.

As long as we dont completely collapse, we should be able to keep ourselves out of it, but it wont be pretty and it wont be over quickly.

Frustrating. Played very well today, particularly second half. Midfield dominated and for once we created some good opportunities. Kane played well and had good hold up play however Hendry proved yet again its possible to do both. His pass to create the Kennedy chance with the outside of his boot was terrific, won several flick ons and his header was outstanding. He's a real talent.

Hard to take County getting anything out the game given their approach. Their goal was the thing that annoyed me most though. A good keeper deals with a ball that spends that amount of time in the air. Very poor. 

I do wonder if we'd gone 4-4-2 from then start if we'd have walked all over them. They were absolutely rotten. 

Edited by Broon_100

First Saints game in a year for me. Enjoyed watching McCann - takes care of the ball and has the confidence to try things. Morris vibes from Holt. Davidson seemed to thrive with the other two handling the ball-playing. Like the look of Gordon and Kerr as a partnership, and while Ralston and Booth aren't the best full-backs I've seen at McDiarmid, they were far from hopeless and looked pretty solid.

The issue was turning the dominance into chances. Kane put in a shift but never looked like a scoring threat, and May (albeit with only 20 minutes to impress) doesn't look the same player he was at 21. Hendry much livelier and took his chance well.

Disappointed with only a point, but the performance was encouraging (and at least we got the equaliser - it would have been gutting to lose to a side like that after dominating the game).

That was much better today and glad we got some reward for it, if not what we fully deserved.

Our lack of goals was kind of being overlooked because we were shipping so many but it's obviously a bit of an issue. We missed some chances today but should have created a good few more with the ball we had in attacking areas.

Kennedy's delivery for the goal is what he's capable of but hasnt been consistently delivering recently. On the other side, Wright had the beating of Kelly all day but didn't make it count at all, he was sloppy all day with passes. Neither of the full backs produced much quality.

So for all there was some nice stuff to get the ball into decent areas, we need to make more of it. Steps in the right direction though and the shape looked decent. 

I certainly don't criticise referees every week and I suppose Bobby Madden couldn't envisage how the game would play out but to show 8 yellow cards to a team and still feel he was lenient on them is something else. Actually thought County's approach was pretty disgraceful I'm afraid.

Set the target of 19 points from 19 games at the end of November so we achieved that and it paints a much better picture than after the Hibs game. 

6 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Good to see Drey back performing after a good cameo on Boxing Day. 

Mmm... 

Yes, he roasted Kelly on numerous occasions but what ever came from it. Did we register a single attempt at goal from a move involving Wright? 

It was good to see him beating a full back but the end product has to be better. 

I'm sure he'll do better in Division One following our relegation at Motherwell though. 

6 minutes ago, Radford said:

I'm sure he'll do better in Division One following our relegation at Motherwell though. 

I'm a reactionary arsehole who gets far too wrapped up in Saints and allows it to influence my posts.

Nowhere near as bad as you popping up with the boring shite every single time we pick up a point though. If it makes you feel better about yourself though, batter on.

Edited by RandomGuy.

To be fair, even last season Drey Wright’s stats weren’t amazing. He never really created things himself, but his running and beating of fullbacks generally lead to a secondary assist or phase of play. Maybe I’m wrong, but there was definitely shades of the old Drey today, some outrageous touches and tricked and some poor passes.

1 minute ago, ali_91 said:

AA0604AC-AECE-4336-9836-53049D0A2BBB.gif

Meh, I'm perfectly fine with folk mocking me etc. I'm a dreadful poster on here and deserve most of it. I overreact to everything to do with Saints.

But I cannot stand the shitey wee behind the back belittling that @Radfords been dropping into every post match post for the past month, at least tag me in the posts if you're intending on ripping into me.

4 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

He's gonna have an extra week off the. Everyone else so gives him plenty time to travel down from the Highlands. 

Live footage of Graham going up for a header. 

download (2).jpeg

Does that mean there’s no substance to the rumour of Graham going to Firhill or it’s true?

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Kennedy's delivery for the goal is what he's capable of but hasnt been consistently delivering recently. On the other side, Wright had the beating of Kelly all day but didn't make it count at all, he was sloppy all day with passes. Neither of the full backs produced much quality

I’m not so sure our delivery has been poor this season. I think it’s a simple as not having a striker able to make the most of it. We have a squad full of wingers but the vast majority of the time we have an isolated striker in the box. Normally Kane, occasionally May. Neither of these guys are going to step off then out jump a defender like Hendry did today. His movement was terrific.

We can fire crosses in all day every day but Kane isn’t going to put them away. He’s not that type of striker. If we want to get goals out of Kane or May we can’t rely on Kennedy or Wright putting balls on their heads. Or we play Hendry and play to the strengths of our team.

I wasn't at the game (and probably won't watch full highlights) but it wouldn't be a St Johnstone match thread without RandomGuy's "Saints failed to win and I'm going to be a whining wee bitch; the other team were vile criminals and the referee was complicit in it" post. 

I hope it's accurate and County have finally adopted a "horrible, hammer throwing c***s" attitude. 

6 hours ago, yoda said:

I wasn't at the game (and probably won't watch full highlights) but it wouldn't be a St Johnstone match thread without RandomGuy's "Saints failed to win and I'm going to be a whining wee bitch; the other team were vile criminals and the referee was complicit in it" post. 

I hope it's accurate and County have finally adopted a "horrible, hammer throwing c***s" attitude. 

I usually overreact, but think I've pretty much nailed it this time tbh. Graham was on the pitch about 20 minutes, elbowed two folk, punched another, and probably wasnt even the worst player in terms of foul.

Genuinely lost count of the amount of players who were either kicked, or dragged down, off the ball. Vigurs was run away from constantly central and just clipped folks heels as they ran away from him yet somehow survived with just one booking.

We also had the dreadful Scottish football trait of a side going away and time wasting after 20 minutes as they're struggling.

Edited by RandomGuy.

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm a reactionary arsehole who gets far too wrapped up in Saints and allows it to influence my posts.

Nowhere near as bad as you popping up with the boring shite every single time we pick up a point though. If it makes you feel better about yourself though, batter on.

Worst post in the thread. 

10 hours ago, Widge said:

... generally lead to a secondary assist... 

Oh, hang on...