Hearts v Aberdeen

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

38 points is the target that usually sees teams finish 8th or above.

So you'll need 25 points from 17 games. 6 or 7 wins, and a couple of draws, in 17 games, in other words.

This is where the split becomes fairly crucial for us, if we can pick up form before we start playing St Mirren, Hamilton and Hibs again in April and May then I'd fancy us to be picking up 3 or 4 of these wins during that time alone.

49 minutes ago, GorgieRoad said:

Forgot how it felt to come away feeling positive after a game. It's cruel we didn't win that game, even with 10 men we looked the better team. I thought Pereira was possibly at fault for the goal as he seemed to creep further away from his right post but apart from that it's hard to fault any of the players.

Didn't really believe how bad Aberdeen were until today, granted in the first game of the season they wey were poor but sitting 4th I thought they'd have more about them them. Bizarre McGinn doesn't start since he's by far the most creative player in the team (alongside Logan). 

For others it might seem bizarre for Aberdeen fans to be calling for McInnes to go given their position but it's absolutely justified imo, that's 4th in a terrible, terrible league, they should be clear in 3rd place. 

For us, I'm much more positive than I was 3 days ago, I'm glad the players (importantly Sean Clare who I've been screaming abuse at for 10 months) and the manager see what it means to the fans when the effort is put in. I don't think there was anyone I'd pick out as being poor. 

For the first time in 2 months I'm hopeful we might actually survive this season.

Aberdeen sound bobbins, but as someone who was there, I'm guessing you've seen the whole atmosphere, application and passion from the players being  good today. 

With Stendel now having a few weeks to get more of his work ethos into the players, we're surely going to be ok?

With a few new players and his own staff (hopefully) coming in, the shoots of recovery are there.

Edited by LincolnHearts

37 minutes ago, GorgieRoad said:

This is where the split becomes fairly crucial for us, if we can pick up form before we start playing St Mirren, Hamilton and Hibs again in April and May then I'd fancy us to be picking up 3 or 4 of these wins during that time alone.

Your issue will be that these teams will only need draws, while you'll need wins.

Hard to say either way, you'll need to get almost every signing right though.

On 27/12/2019 at 10:30, RandomGuy. said:

No chance. This is the worst Hearts side I've ever seen, by an absolute distance. Worse than Lockes kids.

Them playing a high line/high press, with the defence they do, is perfect for Aberdeen to counter into. 

This'll be a hammering.

😄

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Sadly for my Jamboid friends, you won't be playing Aberdeen at home every week. An Aberdeen side that leaves its best player on the bench for 45 minutes. 

That's a cause to worry. 

Aye, I can't imagine what it's like to miss your best players.

Was McInnes this reactive to other teams’ tactics in his first few seasons? He seemed to have more of an identity as to how we played, a default setting that worked 9/10 times.

Now we pick the team based on who we’re up against, even if it’s some absolute diddy. We should be coming to the bottom team and setting out our stall, making the opposition ask us the question.

I refuse to believe he truly thinks that this is objectively our best lineup given the players that are fit. IMG_3625.jpg

So he’s on to a loser from the word go. He’s playing the occasion, the shirt, the stadium. If this was a Hearts team flying near the top of the league, or even just in a good run of recent form, then fine, make adjustments. But don’t completely change the way we play in an attempt to beat them. Now this assumes that we have a way we play, which is not the case. McInnes desperately needs to come up with a plan A, then he can start working on his plan Bs.

Given the quality of the league, I’m relatively confident we’ll finish 3rd or 4th and that’ll probably get us European football again because one of *that lot* will win the Scottish Cup. I still wouldn’t be pushing him out the door, because realistically who are the other options, but I probably wouldn’t be giving him his customary 2 year extension to his deal, and I doubt Cormack will either. He seems to have his sights aimed a little higher than Wiggy did.

53 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Was McInnes this reactive to other teams’ tactics in his first few seasons? He seemed to have more of an identity as to how we played, a default setting that worked 9/10 times.

Now we pick the team based on who we’re up against, even if it’s some absolute diddy. We should be coming to the bottom team and setting out our stall, making the opposition ask us the question.

I refuse to believe he truly thinks that this is objectively our best lineup given the players that are fit. IMG_3625.jpg

So he’s on to a loser from the word go. He’s playing the occasion, the shirt, the stadium. If this was a Hearts team flying near the top of the league, or even just in a good run of recent form, then fine, make adjustments. But don’t completely change the way we play in an attempt to beat them. Now this assumes that we have a way we play, which is not the case. McInnes desperately needs to come up with a plan A, then he can start working on his plan Bs.

Given the quality of the league, I’m relatively confident we’ll finish 3rd or 4th and that’ll probably get us European football again because one of *that lot* will win the Scottish Cup. I still wouldn’t be pushing him out the door, because realistically who are the other options, but I probably wouldn’t be giving him his customary 2 year extension to his deal, and I doubt Cormack will either. He seems to have his sights aimed a little higher than Wiggy did.

I've pinpointed the game Aberdeen beat us at Tynecastle the season we came up as the change in Robbie Neilsons philosophy to a more negative (Levein) style. Playing the occasion and worrying too much about the other team has led us to where we are now.

3 hours ago, paranoid android said:

The referee was an absolute c**t today, btw. 

There appears to be some kind of consistent bias in referees decisions with Uche. I don't know if he raped a ref or something down in England but the club need to make their feelings known about his treatment. Being strong isn't an actual offence and it doesn't give license to defenders to clamber all over him all of the time. tbf to Alan Muir, he is capable of being the opposite of whistle-happy - he let the Dundee United  defender Butcher off entirely on Fri night with what looked like 3 yellow card offences plus one possible red.

I refuse to believe he truly thinks that this is objectively our best lineup given the players that are fit. IMG_3625.thumb.jpg.2a20c984f1faddddcac8b2af24ff9a9e.jpg

In the first half McInnes appeared to have sent out a team to not concede and wait for Hearts to go into self destruct mode.

As you’ve not watched Hearts as much as me you probably won’t appreciate how sensible this plan would have seemed but trust me it’s worked for a lot of other teams

3 hours ago, zidane's child said:

From what I read on other Hearts forums, a lot of fans wanted Stendl because he liked a bevvy with the Barnsley fans and not for his coaching capabilities. Or they certainly weren’t really mentioned from what I read.

Experience of Scottish football was lacking from his CV and he’ll be learning about it as the weeks go on but he’s also got to claw back a 5 point back pretty sharpish. Budge/the board made a mistake here, but we just need to see how it pans out.

Hearts fans have spent the last few years watching the most obscenely boring, joyless, plodding guff on the pitch. There never appeared to be any discernible strategy or style of play and we got diminishing returns season after season. Leveinball has sucked the life out of the club and led us sleepwalking into the disaster we find ourselves in now.

Stendel, on the other hand, has a clearly identifiable style of play based on high-energy, attacking football (i.e. the polar opposite of Levein). That style of play, along with his personality and willingness to engage with the fans, seemed to galvanise the Barnsley support and get them right behind the team. Even after his sacking, the Barnsley fans' opinion of him seems overwhelmingly positive.

Basically, Hearts fans wanted someone to clear the apathy, to build a team with an identity and to give us something to get excited about. Put all that together and it's not particularly difficult to see why Stendel was the popular choice.

Unfortunately, it's come 6 months too late and we may already be fucked. If Stendel does manage to keep us up, however, you can guarantee that next summer will be the most positive Hearts fans have felt about the club for 5 years (at least).

I did think it strange that he started with Anderson and Main, but left McGinn, Hedges, Wilson and McLennan on the bench. I couldn’t really see the logic there. Before the game I had convinced myself that we would lose as Hearts are bound to win soon and thought it would be against us, and we have such a shocking record at Tynecastle. As it finished 1.1 I’m not too disappointed, unlike others. Hearts team changes had a positive effect on them, our team changes had the opposite effect.

Utterly horrendous today. Well and truly done with McInnes after today, and judging by the mood in the crowd at the end so are a sizeable portion of our support.

First half the players didn’t have a fucking clue what they were meant to be doing, which wasn’t helped by changing formation about 3 times. Dropping all your wide players who are literally the only creative players in the team when your best player/striker is out was an *interesting* tactical switch. As was sacrificing the entire flanks to the opposition and playing two centre midfielders at wing back. Thought Campbell did ok at wing back, apart from one occasion where he shat it against the useless big lump they had up front, but he didn’t have a fucking clue where he was meant to be positionally.

For the sending off, Clare should have realised it was Gallagher through on goal and left him to it as he was never going to score. Great FK from McGinn though. After that though we had one half chance when McGinn tried to square it to Anderson(?) in the middle but didn’t really trouble Hearts at all. Our tactic second half seemed to be launching the ball to Anderson up against Dikamona which didn’t work at all.

Hearts defence generally was pretty good, impressed with Halkett and Dikamona, but they probably won’t get too many easier games this season.

33 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I did think it strange that he started with Anderson and Main, but left McGinn, Hedges, Wilson and McLennan on the bench. I couldn’t really see the logic there. 

Hearts team changes had a positive effect on them, our team changes had the opposite effect.

Agreed. I mean McGinn has been struggling with fitness a bit recently (only passed a late fitness test against Livi I think), so I wasn’t that surprised to see him start on the bench. What didn’t make sense was then dropping the other two wingers.

I actually forgot Gallagher was playing during the first half. Anonymous.

7 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I can't decide whether it's more arrogance or poor judgement on McInnes's part, or a mixture of both, to leave those three and Wilson all on the bench whilst starting the likes of Gallagher and Main. 

I think it's judgement. He prefers workmanlike and it has worked well for us in the past. I don't know about any knocks they might be carrying but it looks like a very bad call to leave four matchwinners on the bench and start Curtis Main. 

6 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Stendel's been in charge for 3 weeks - the changes today worked - Irving was probably our best player, and we looked more solid at the back without Berra.

We should have won today, but a point with 10 men isn't bad - other results went against us, but I'm encouraged by the performance. 

Interesting picking out irvine. My (TV) highlight of the game came from him where he booted it straight out for a goal kick from about halfway, then fucked up a spit that wrapped round his cheek. That's how good a game it was. 

6 hours ago, paranoid android said:

The referee was an absolute c**t today, btw. 

Agreed. Random factor. No rhyme nor reason. 

2 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

There appears to be some kind of consistent bias in referees decisions with Uche. I don't know if he raped a ref or something down in England but the club need to make their feelings known about his treatment. Being strong isn't an actual offence and it doesn't give license to defenders to clamber all over him all of the time. tbf to Alan Muir, he is capable of being the opposite of whistle-happy - he let the Dundee United  defender Butcher off entirely on Fri night with what looked like 3 yellow card offences plus one possible red.

Nice one Pet. It looked like he might have dislocated vyners shoulder with one of his unpunished judo throws and made hearts best chance after clearly pulling Campbell back a yard, with impunity. I'd love to know why you think there is any bias against him, and also why you think he might be a rapist. Sounds like dodgy territory to me? 

3 hours ago, Pet Jeden said:

He is a non-footballer.