Cove v Elgin

13 hours ago, elgin proud said:

very reasonable report elgin had 5 key players out today with spark going off at half time so pretty decent performance. Thought 5and 6 very solid for cove  as well as glass who is superb 

Who were the five players missing. Can think of Bronsky, McDonald & Cameron. Who am I missing?

3 hours ago, Football7 said:

I thought Cove were quite fortunate to win that 2-0 yesterday. First game I've managed to get to in a while but I thought a draw would've been a fair result. Very few clear cut chances created, but the ones that were created I thought Sutherlands was the most clear cut. The Elgin keeper had to make a few good saves 2nd half and I thought McKay and Omar put in very good shifts about the pitch. Bit of a blow losing Spark so early on aswell. Overall I think both teams were as good as each other. On another day it could've went the other way. 

2 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Enjoyed the game thought there was some decent football played by both sides. I thought all the Elgin players put in a good shift and a bit unlucky to lose 2-0 although it could have been 5 without some big saves from Mchale. First goal took a deflection wrong footing Mchale but he might think he could have done better, second goal, the ball looked out before it was crossed, great cross it was but no Elgin player appealed. In the end of the day it was Coves better decision making with the final ball/finish that won the day.

Interesting reading those opinions,, must ask my brother what he thought about it next time I'm speaking to him.

City still in with a chance of the play offs then? (At the right end.)

2 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

What was the reason for the good crowd? Short distance for Elgin fans? Do some Aberdeen fans go to Cove games when the Dons aren’t playing?

@jamamafegan I think there’s some merit in when Aberdeen are playing away or not at all then people will come and see Cove.

Elgin have a large fan base and travel in big numbers which was good to see as Aberdeen isn’t just a stones throw away.

Biggest attendance you’ve seen at a L2 game in recent years anyone?

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Interesting reading those opinions,, must ask my brother what he thought about it next time I'm speaking to him.

City still in with a chance of the play offs then? (At the right end.)

Definitely in my opinion. Elgin are capable of chasing down / overtaking both Annan and Cowden with a few good run of results.

Better team won, but Elgin had a few chances and despite the first goal, McHale had a good game. The makeshift defence, esp after Spark went off, did well. Shane seemed to try and take on the whole Cove team by himself at times.

On a different note, what a souless little ground, in the middle of an industrial estate, no ladies' toilets in the away end (there were two port a loos admittedly), non existent PA system in the way end (still waiting to hear who won the 50/50 draw).

40 minutes ago, gordon9736 said:

Better team won, but Elgin had a few chances and despite the first goal, McHale had a good game. The makeshift defence, esp after Spark went off, did well. Shane seemed to try and take on the whole Cove team by himself at times.

On a different note, what a souless little ground, in the middle of an industrial estate, no ladies' toilets in the away end (there were two port a loos admittedly), non existent PA system in the way end (still waiting to hear who won the 50/50 draw).

They were a better team in the sense they knocked it around well but I thought Elgin were more than a match for them second half. Not taking anything away from them though as at the end of the day they were more clinical but also as you said McHale made some big saves and the defence did very well with the changes before the game and when spark went off. It would've been interesting to see how the game would've played out if Sutherland had taken the chance early on 🤔

Edited by Football7

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

@jamamafegan I think there’s some merit in when Aberdeen are playing away or not at all then people will come and see Cove.

Elgin have a large fan base and travel in big numbers which was good to see as Aberdeen isn’t just a stones throw away.

Think there were over 1,000 at the first Elgin-Cove game earlier in the season aswell, & imagine those figures will be repeated in the further two league games, so definitely good for both clubs' coffers to be in the same division.

4 hours ago, Highland ITFC said:

Think there were over 1,000 at the first Elgin-Cove game earlier in the season aswell, & imagine those figures will be repeated in the further two league games, so definitely good for both clubs' coffers to be in the same division.

if only we could get real derby in this league 75 miles away !

[mention=19616]jamamafegan[/mention] I think there’s some merit in when Aberdeen are playing away or not at all then people will come and see Cove.
Rangers vs Berwick Rangers 4/5/13 was 50048. Unsure of the highest 4th tier attendance outwith Sevco.

27 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
10 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:
[mention=19616]jamamafegan[/mention] I think there’s some merit in when Aberdeen are playing away or not at all then people will come and see Cove.

Rangers vs Berwick Rangers 4/5/13 was 50048. Unsure of the highest 4th tier attendance outwith Sevco.

If you keep it to since it has been SPFL2. It would be Montrose v. Elgin City 28/04/2018 with a crowd of 2,380 when Montrose won the league championship.

12 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Do some Aberdeen fans go to Cove games when the Dons aren’t playing?

Little doubt about this and a few of my Dons supporting mates were at the Cove game yesterday.

In a moment of procrastination, I have produced a wonderful set of stats that Ebbe Skovdahl himself would admire.   Out of 9 games, only 2 have clashed with games at Pittodrie (jammy), one of which saw the lowest attendance.  From what I can see, Cove get bigger crowds when there's no Dons game on, but this only applies to Sat 3pm kick offs.  Anyway, fill yer boots (sorted by attendance):

Date Opposition Cove Attendance What Aberdeen were up to at the time
28-Dec Elgin 1264 No game - away at Tynecastle the next day
03-Aug Edinburgh 995 No game - Hearts at home the next day
17-Aug Cowden 880 No game - away at Dens Park the next day (cup)
16-Nov Brechin 862 No game - international break
09-Nov Stirling 825 Away at Ross County
31-Aug QP 661 Home vs Ross County
28-Sep Annan 642 Away at Ibrox
29-Oct Albion* 633  (Tuesday night) No game - away at Hamilton the next day
14-Dec Stenny 391 Home vs Hamilton

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Little doubt about this and a few of my Dons supporting mates were at the Cove game yesterday.

In a moment of procrastination, I have produced a wonderful set of stats that Ebbe Skovdahl himself would admire.   Out of 9 games, only 2 have clashed with games at Pittodrie (jammy), one of which saw the lowest attendance.  From what I can see, Cove get bigger crowds when there's no Dons game on, but this only applies to Sat 3pm kick offs.  Anyway, fill yer boots (sorted by attendance):

Date Opposition Cove Attendance What Aberdeen were up to at the time
28-Dec Elgin 1264 No game - away at Tynecastle the next day
03-Aug Edinburgh 995 No game - Hearts at home the next day
17-Aug Cowden 880 No game - away at Dens Park the next day (cup)
16-Nov Brechin 862 No game - international break
09-Nov Stirling 825 Away at Ross County
31-Aug QP 661 Home vs Ross County
28-Sep Annan 642 Away at Ibrox
29-Oct Albion* 633  (Tuesday night) No game - away at Hamilton the next day
14-Dec Stenny 391 Home vs Hamilton

judging by yesterday  they are exaggerating the crowds looked around 800 yesterday I would say. Strange why they would do this  other than to perpetatute the myth that they are going places. We always under state ours for sure. 

12 minutes ago, elgin proud said:

judging by yesterday  they are exaggerating the crowds looked around 800 yesterday I would say. Strange why they would do this  other than to perpetatute the myth that they are going places. We always under state ours for sure. 

Don’t know many the stand holds but when we there it was mostly full of the Fat Controllers drunken oil client pals. I think that makes up at least 100 or more every week. 

14 minutes ago, elgin proud said:

Fans: "If we exaggerate the crowd then the taxman will be wanting something for each and every phantom ticket"

Board:  "Who cares?  We're Cove"

ConsciousKnobbyBrownbear-size_restricted

18 hours ago, elgin proud said:

if only we could get real derby in this league 75 miles away !

it could happen 2020-2021 if brora really want it - if they don't then hopefully they'll pass on the league title and let Locos have a go, although they saved their worst display of the year for arguably the biggest game, broxburn at hame

1 hour ago, marello said:

it could happen 2020-2021 if brora really want it - if they don't then hopefully they'll pass on the league title and let Locos have a go, although they saved their worst display of the year for arguably the biggest game, broxburn at hame

Would love to see Brora get into League 2. Fancy them or Kelty to beat bottom of L2 (whoever that maybe this season). Both would compete very well in the league.

Edited by CoveRangers1922