G_Man1985

20 for ? - The Official Thread

1. Come home more. Only managed three trips to Scotland this year, including a funeral, and would ideally be able to get back every second month.

2. Plan something for my dad's 80th. Somehow get the whole family together to do something the old boy enjoys as this is really rare.

3. Finish course I am studying for work. Hard slog but should be done in May.

4. Decide where I am living for the next few years. Currently in Spain and really need to make the decision to stay there for another few years or move on.

5. Save 7000 euros to finish off getting a deposit together. 

6. Visit five new countries. Managed four this year, would like to add another five. 

7. Improve half marathon time. Spent early part of 2019 with broken bones in my foot and running has really suffered, have a half booked for March and want to stick to a proper training plan. 

8. Start playing golf again.

9. Take some snowboarding lessons.

10. Be less of a c**t. Probably the most difficult tbh.

Will try and do this in terms of importance. 

1) Clear remaining debt, past few years have cleared out any savings I did have and find myself living pay cheque to pay cheque. Really need to get tight with money. 

2) Lose another 1.5 stone. Lost just over 2 stone this year, but still a bit to go. 

3) Read at least a book a month, have built up a collection of books, yet never read them.

4) Climb at least five hills with my Dad. Probably the best parts of last year were spent walking with him. 

5) Get to Mull. Going through the family tree, amazed by the amount of folk on my Dad's side who lived there. Have a decent idea where most stayed, so would be nice to go and have a look at it all. 

6) Continue with the family tree. One thing I've really enjoyed this year. Found out some fascinating stories from the past, come to a dead end on a lot of the names now, so want to try and get past that. 

7) Start the motions of moving home. Had my time down South, start looking for a job in the coming months. Have to sort out finances before doing this though. 

8) Take my Mum to Shannon. I must admit I have no idea what it is she wants to see in Ireland, but she is desperate to go to Shannon for one reason or another. So get her across and act as chauffer for a few days. 

9) Cycle 100 miles in a day. I think I'll do this one relatively easy, I found 50 quite difficult but that was with next to no fitness. A lot fitter now, and have a route planned. Just building up to it. 

10) Booze free months. Purely to help with losing weight and living a healthier lifestyle. Try and have at least 3 months of no booze. 

1. Stop the fags, at least while not drinking anyway. Waste of money.
2. Stop being such a w****r all the time.
3. Get to more away games.
4. Complete Swedish (obviously that's impossible, but get to the point where I can easily hold conversations).
5. Cut down on the drinking.
6. Shag more, although number 5 makes this more difficult.
7. Read a book a month.
8. Stop pissing away money every month, I really should be doing much better financially.
9. Get promoted from the P & B quiz diddy league.
10. Learn how to be a less considerate lover.
11. Come up with another 10 on this list.

Forgot to put mine in, but what you gonna do, phone the polis? 

Spoiler

Still technically not had a working day in 2020 yet.

1.  Stay to a routine. My body clock has been screwed all of 2019, I would not have any discipline and let it slide leading to me going to bed at weird times and sleeping in etc.
  2.  Try to get to over 40 games this calendar year - I did 33 in 2019.
  3.  Get to at least seven new grounds - made it to six in 2019. Could be from any senior/junior league.
  4.  Graduate University with a 2:1. Currently in 4th Year with grades in the B range on average, but still to get my Winter Term Grades back soon. Writing my dissertation the now.
  5.  Decide on my future, probably going to go for a post-grad but haven't done much reading on jobs that I can go for and that I would want to go for.
  6.  Get a Girlfriend - this sounds silly, but would be nice to actual be in a healthy relationship, I haven't been in anything lasting longer than a few weeks so to have a connection with someone would be nice.
  7. Pass my driving test - was given a bunch of driving lessons for Birthday/Xmas so I need to finally pass my test and re-pass my theory. Not too fussed about getting a car atm, but just to get my license.
  8.  Read a (novel) Book - this sounds silly especially for someone who does a lot of reading in his degree, but I've not committed to finishing a book for a long time, I have a few Ian Rankin books as Xmas Presents to read so will probably get to that.
  9. To achieve my goals I set myself in Sport and to reinvigorate my determination. 2019 was a bit of a bust due to illness, I hope that I can actually force myself into training.
  10. Get to the Gym for at least 3hrs per week, I have free gym sessions (at certain times) through the Uni Sports Society, I never turn up and I think that's not helping with #8
  11. Go abroad, or at least on holiday. Even if its for a city break, would love to visit some place new. I haven't been abroad since 2016, and haven't really had anything more than a weekend away to someplace in Highlands with the family as a holiday.
  12. Be more productive and not be a lazy b*****d in general. Self-Explanatory.
  13. Commit to an idea/project - I tend to have a lot of ideas on what ought to do, but never actually commit to it (e.g. I had one for example on various YouTube channels - one idea was to do CGP Grey-esque educational videos but on a certain topic that there's a gap in, as I'm quite good at that subject)
  14. Be more sociable, severe lacks of nights out in 2019 - probably only five max. Must be honest that's quite disgraceful as a student in his early 20s.
  15. Discover new music - did this really well in 2019, but hopefully this year I can make a gig - I haven't been to any for a few years.

Sorry could only think of 15, but the other 5 would just be padding and unproductive.

Sorry I'm late, but I've been on holiday since December 22nd and clean forgot.

In my defence, this list was made in December.

1. Visit ten new football stadiums. Managed 9 last year.

2. Run a half marathon. Last year represented a fabulous recovery from injury and I'm ready.

3. Get my German certified to B1 level.

4. Visit a new country. I haven't been anywhere new for nearly two years.

5. Learn to cook, and become good at cooking, three new dishes.

6. Wrap the fags. Again.

7. Go a year with no time off work with a bad back.

8. Read all of the unread books on my kindle. There are many.

That's all. I'm late. Get it up you.

Hope I’m not too late to join in. Long time viewer, first time contributor.

1) Lose 1-1.5 stone. At one point in 2019 I had lost 3.5 stone but I’ve added .5 since the start of December. That needs to stop.

2) when at home, hit the gym 3x per week. This is tough as I’m naturally a lazy sod.

3) Linked to #1 & #2. Run 5km in 25 mins. Last achieved this in 2014 and due to injury and fatness, I’ve not been able/inclined to get anywhere near that.

4) Go dry for 30 consecutive days at least once this year. This could well be the toughest challenge. (I do like a nice red)

5) Get out walking/spend more time with my dad. He’s not getting any younger and it’s time I won’t get back.

6) Climb a Munro. Thought I’d finally achieved this last year but it turns out it was “only” a Munro top.

7) Get away with Mrs get_the_subbies_on at least 3x this year (have booked one trip and won’t count our New Year trip). Most of our holidays/weekends away include friends or family. It’d be good to have some time to ourselves.

8 ) Volunteer more. Did a beach cleanup last year but want to get more regularly involved with some cause.

9) Hold a conversation in Spanish. Used to be ok at Spanish (30+ years ago) Now I’m limited to “cerveza” or “tapas”. I need to refresh.

10) Cut down on single use plastics.

11) Be *much* less grumpy. (Actually, this could be tougher than #4)

That is all.

On 30/12/2019 at 14:19, MixuFixit said:

Aiming for 10, will add some as I think of them.

1. Keep getting fitter. Specifically to track a goal, I want to squat 140kg and get close to 200kg deadlift this year.
  2. Have a basic conversation with someone in Gaelic. It really was *basic* but an actual Gaelic speaker asked me a question and I could answer it.
  3. Get fluent in French.
  4. Read at least 1 book a month, I've been terrible all year at starting books then not finishing them in favour of aimlessly scrolling news on my phone.
  5. Wild camp overnight somewhere.
  6. Sell something I made. I'm always woodworking for fun and the missus suggested I turn this into a side hustle.
  7. Build a porch over the back door of the house. Stretch goal: build a new back door to replace the one that doesn't properly shut for reasons I have yet to figure out.
  8. Climb a Munro. I've not done one in ages, which is pathetic.

one down!

Hope I’m not too late to join in. Long time viewer, first time contributor.

1) Lose 1-1.5 stone. At one point in 2019 I had lost 3.5 stone but I’ve added .5 since the start of December. That needs to stop.
2) when at home, hit the gym 3x per week. This is tough as I’m naturally a lazy sod.
3) Linked to #1 & #2. Run 5km in 25 mins. Last achieved this in 2014 and due to injury and fatness, I’ve not been able/inclined to get anywhere near that.
4) Go dry for 30 consecutive days at least once this year. This could well be the toughest challenge. (I do like a nice red)
5) Get out walking/spend more time with my dad. He’s not getting any younger and it’s time I won’t get back.
6) Climb a Munro. Thought I’d finally achieved this last year but it turns out it was “only” a Munro top.
7) Get away with Mrs get_the_subbies_on at least 3x this year (have booked one trip and won’t count our New Year trip). Most of our holidays/weekends away include friends or family. It’d be good to have some time to ourselves.
8 ) Volunteer more. Did a beach cleanup last year but want to get more regularly involved with some cause.
9) Hold a conversation in Spanish. Used to be ok at Spanish (30+ years ago) Now I’m limited to “cerveza” or “tapas”. I need to refresh.
10) Cut down on single use plastics.
11) Be *much* less grumpy. (Actually, this could be tougher than #4)

That is all.

Month 1 update

1: Am down 6lbs from the start of the year
2: In the 4 weeks since this pledge I’ve managed 1 week at the gym (3x) and 3 weeks at the gym (2x) but on those 3 weeks I’ve also been at a Saturday Bootcamp and played footie on a Sunday night.
Will change from “gym” to 3x “activities” each week.
3: Have improved from 27:30 in late 2019 to 26:42 in January. Still a bit to do here.
4: Today is day 30 - will be enjoying a glass of red on Friday night to celebrate.
5: 1 x 7.5 mile walk around Perth on my day off in January.
6: This is a summer target
7: Nothing yet
8: Nothing yet
9: Downloaded Duolingo and am currently on an 8 day streak.
10: Have re-used the same “disposable” salad carton at work for 4 weeks now. Also have brought in my own cutlery instead of the plastic stuff here. Using a proper water bottle too.
11: No progress here at all. - not my fault though when there’s so many bad drivers around Perth and my kids continue to treat the house like a hotel...

Aiming for 10, will add some as I think of them.

1. Keep getting fitter. Specifically to track a goal, I want to squat 140kg and get close to 200kg deadlift this year.
  2. Have a basic conversation with someone in Gaelic. It really was *basic* but an actual Gaelic speaker asked me a question and I could answer it.
  3. Get fluent in French.
  4. Read at least 1 book a month, I've been terrible all year at starting books then not finishing them in favour of aimlessly scrolling news on my phone. progress: 1/12 books
  5. Wild camp overnight somewhere.
  6. Sell something I made. I'm always woodworking for fun and the missus suggested I turn this into a side hustle.
  7. Build a porch over the back door of the house. Stretch goal: build a new back door to replace the one that doesn't properly shut for reasons I have yet to figure out.
  8. Climb a Munro. I've not done one in ages, which is pathetic.

There we go. Bit of a slog for the first book of the year but I'll pick something a bit shorter for the next one.

On 30/12/2019 at 13:17, Funky Nosejob said:

Haven't done this for a few years, but the change in decade and my advancing years have inspired me.

Here's my 2020 vision.

1. Get my BMI back down to sub 24 - I'm currently in the high 25s and in risk of needing new clothes if I go any higher.

2. Get back in the pool - I used to swim competitively and the Royal Commonwealth Pool is close by, so I've no excuse.

3. Eat in healthier - Try to take my 5-a-day up to 7-a-day.

4. Eat out healthier - Choose the veggie option (if palatable) and skip the pudding. I did this for Lent a few years back and managed fine.

5. Drink more water - I normally only have a mug of coffee with my breakfast and a glass of milk with my dinner so I suspect I might be dehydrated.

6. Improve my sleep - I've finally got a routine that gets me to sleep at a sensible time. Now I need to work out how to stop waking up at 3.30 every morning.

7. Cut back on packaging - I will try to make better choices when shopping.

8. Buy (and use) an electric bicycle - My plans to use my regular bike to commute never last as there are long hill climbs involved and I end up driving instead.

9. (Re)start to learn Italian - I've got all the resources from a previous attempt and a bit more free time now.

10. Learn to cook a mean risotto for the family - I'm a half-decent cook when I put my mind to it and I love a good risotto.

2 months in update:

1. Lost a few pounds, but stuck in the low 25s. 
3. Achieving this more days than not. 
5. Drinking about an extra litre of water a day. 
7. No carrier bags or plastic drinks bottles bought so far.
10. Leek & Haddock and Pea & Pancetta risottos are both now family favourites. I have taken responsibility for cooking the Friday evening meal.

2,4,6,8 & 9. Still pending. 

On 01/03/2020 at 22:09, Funky Nosejob said:

2 months in update:

1. Lost a few pounds, but stuck in the low 25s. 
3. Achieving this more days than not. 
5. Drinking about an extra litre of water a day. 
7. No carrier bags or plastic drinks bottles bought so far.
10. Leek & Haddock and Pea & Pancetta risottos are both now family favourites. I have taken responsibility for cooking the Friday evening meal.

2,4,6,8 & 9. Still pending. 

Got all the free time in the world now to learn Italian!

On 25/03/2020 at 11:31, paul-r-cfc said:

Got all the free time in the world now to learn Italian!

Buongiorno, Paul. Come stai?

I started my Coffee Break Italian lessons on Tuesday and have covered the first two lessons. 
Swimming at the RCP is definitely out for the foreseeable, however. 
Buona serata!

Buongiorno, Paul. Come stai?
I started my Coffee Break Italian lessons on Tuesday and have covered the first two lessons. 
Swimming at the RCP is definitely out for the foreseeable, however. 
Buona serata!

Bored as shit is what I am!

My Italian has stagnated for about 7 years now. Odd time I'm in Italy it progresses a bit but that's a rarity unfortunately. Been learning the odd new word/phrase on the app so better than nothing.