The Warriors v The Binos

I was at Ochilview when you beat us 3-2 and I remember that inspired win with all 11 men playing as a coherent team. Some great individual performances too.

I reflected on that defeat on the 2 hour drive north thinking that DI and Stenny would do alright. Mid table I thought, not really a strong challenge for a playoff spot but no danger of being drawn into a relegation battle.

Is it just confidence. Will a few key signings make the difference and if so in what areas are they needed?

At the start of the season, like everyone else, I looked at the teams and tipped Stenny to win the league. This was purely based on the fact they had a good Goalkeeper, 2 solid Defenders and 2 Strikers that knew how to score goals, how wrong did I get it?

On today’s evidence, I saw a good Goalkeeper and a team of players that pretty much dominated much of the game but had absolutely no ideas going forward. At Half Time, someone shouted that it was time to go Davie.....he heard it and chuntered something under his breath as he made his way down the tunnel, but when you look at the results that Moonglum has posted above, it’s hard to argue with that Stenny loan voice.

As for the Binos, hey we don’t care as we have our own troubles, however we never really looked in trouble today.

KR shuffled the pack, in some ways he was quite right to do so, and it paid off for him. We saw the best of Max Wright.....finally, when Jardine came off the bench it looked like he’d had the kick up the arse that has been required for a long time and of course Duffy put in a hell of a shift up front before making way. I’ve said it elsewhere, but we needed a shake up and we got it, it could have gone either way but it worked.

Sad to see the shenanigans of Tiffony and then Docherty not long after it, both were embarrassments to their respective clubs. Tiffony by jumping in the air trying to get a fellow pro sent off for nothing at all and then Docherty punching/slapping him in the face only moments later. Dom should have been shown a red card for it, but despite getting away with it, it wasn’t good to see.

Good 3 points today, the players worked hard. Once Mackin scored, it was clear we were just going to sit in, poor finishing and good Defending kept us in the game and what a way to win it at the end.

Well done Binos, onto next week now.

3 hours ago, Moonglum25 said:

IRONS RECORD SINCE APPOINTED: September

Interm - League Beat Brechin 1-0

Appointed:

League - Drew Stirling Albion 1-1

League - Beat Cove Rangers 3-2

Scot cup -  Lost Penicuik 3-0

League - Lost Edinburgh City 4-0

League - Lost Queens PArk 3-0

League - Lost Albion Rovers 2-1

Tunnocks Cup - Lost Partick Thistle 4-1

League - Won Brechin City  2-1

League - Draw Elgin City 2-2

League - Lost Annan Athletic 1-2

League - Lost Cove Rangers - 2-1

League - Lost Cowdenbeath 3-1

League - Lost Stirling Albion 2-0

12 League Games - 3 wins, 2 draws, 7 defeats including 4 on the bounce.

Where do we go from here? 

Another inspired appointment by the board.

Was Bombers or McMenamens records as bad?

Answers on a stamp to the board.

Shouldn't have got rid of brown ferguson

Let’s be honest we need changes higher up than the manager, the board have made so many bad,wrong decisions, get ourselves into nothing but bother with the Booth appointment, Ferguson didn’t do much wrong, but in fairness the last three options have been the cheap options, promoting two from within then bringing Davie irons back, a guy that would have thought he was finished in senior scottish football.

With a transfer window just days away does Davie get the chance to bring in the 4 or 5 players we need in hope we can change our fortunes around or are we just resigned to the fact the players he will probably bring in will just be more dross, Tiffoney apart the rest have been very mediocre,where are our next points going to come from? That’s the worry, because that was a poor Stirling Albion team and other than an Alan cook right footed effort direct at the keeper we did nothing, worrying,very worrying 

Thought it was a fairly poor game. Relatively sharp turn and finish for Mackin from the start and a fairly disciplined performance after that as the Binos sat in and allowed Stenny to play in front of them. Stenny never really looked like getting back level.

Happy for Wilson to get the second as thought he was the best player on the pitch. Nice range of passing and worked really hard all match. 

My bad but I don’t really understand a few things:

Is it the chairperson or the Chief Executive who appoint the Manager. How many candidates did we have or did we go easy option third time in a row.

I think the commercial side is better since the Chief Executive has come on in terms of sponsorship etc but really without a team on the park it is not success!

Has the board changed much other than the Chairman in last 10 or even 15 years. What is his football background and experience?

Just as important is there anyone else to come in if the Chairman or Board was to resign, they may even welcome fresh blood. I suspect it may be a fairly unrewarding task and many have given many years of service.

None of these questions takes away from the fact our performances over the last few years have been very poor and getting worse. Apart from the arguably lucky ( we were like 20 points behind but took advantage of the rules) unjust over the season, but enjoyable Peterhead win in the play offs and the Falkirk victory it has been a painful few years.

Colin and Bomber must look back in puzzlement, I don’t actually blame the board for taking a chance with Booth and thought at the time it was ambitious but possibly correct - however he just did not have the personality or emotional intelligence to work at our level, which would probably have shown at interview!

There are good players in there but not enough and the good ones need to do more.

Davie may well be given a chance to turn this round but we need to see improvement quickly or we will be joining the Shire.

Genuinely need a change somewhere but like our other central Scotland teams this decade has been one to forget.

1 hour ago, YoungWarrior said:

Is it the chairperson or the Chief Executive who appoint the Manager. How many candidates did we have or did we go easy option third time in a row.

I think the commercial side is better since the Chief Executive has come on in terms of sponsorship etc but really without a team on the park it is not success!

Has the board changed much other than the Chairman in last 10 or even 15 years. What is his football background and experience?

Just as important is there anyone else to come in if the Chairman or Board was to resign, they may even welcome fresh blood. I suspect it may be a fairly unrewarding task and many have given many years of service.

None of these questions takes away from the fact our performances over the last few years have been very poor and getting worse. Apart from the arguably lucky ( we were like 20 points behind but took advantage of the rules) unjust over the season, but enjoyable Peterhead win in the play offs and the Falkirk victory it has been a painful few years.

Colin and Bomber must look back in puzzlement, I don’t actually blame the board for taking a chance with Booth and thought at the time it was ambitious but possibly correct - however he just did not have the personality or emotional intelligence to work at our level, which would probably have shown at interview!

There are good players in there but not enough and the good ones need to do more.

Davie may well be given a chance to turn this round but we need to see improvement quickly or we will be joining the Shire.

Genuinely need a change somewhere but like our other central Scotland teams this decade has been one to forget.

Well constructed critique I thought. Hopefully Stenny turn things around in the second half of the season. I’ll be keeping an eye out on who they bring in and who leaves in the window. 

I’m assuming your chief executive is on a full-time wage but is that really required at this level? There’s no doubt Stenny do a good job off the park but with majority of clubs at league 1/2 level, these jobs are often taken on by volunteers. Would his wage not be better served strengthening the playing side of things or is there enough money being made elsewhere?

That was another dismal encounter in a season of dismal encounters. I think most people have summed it up best elsewhere - Stenhousemuir might have enjoyed the majority of the possession but they didn't really do anything with it and I don't recall Cammy Binnie being forced into anything serious at all. Stirling Albion, meanwhile, took their chances well and forced Graeme Smith into a handful of excellent saves.

Stenny's defending at times was appalling and I had my head in my hands at the first goal. I can't believe the ball was allowed to find its way to Dylan Mackin to hook it home from close range but every time a team runs at us, or we concede a set-piece, I think we're going to lose a goal. Something systematically isn't right with this side. After an impressive start, Davie Irons hasn't had the impact anyone would have hoped from him and I wonder how the players are responding to him. That said, too many of them just don't appear to be good enough and the squad looks lesser than the sum of its parts.

We're in a lot of bother and I'm really worried how we kick on and get a bit of form after that.

Really do not know where we go from here. The board had done a decent enough job over the past few years keeping the club going but obviously have shown that they cannot pick a manager capable of doing the job and seem content to take the easy and cheap option. I doubt if there any other contenders when McMenamem and Irons were appointed and that has now backfired spectacularly on the board.  The big question they now face is stick with Irons or give him the boot now and admit they got the appointment wrong and try and rescue our season.

Cove Rangers and Waterford showed that there was potential and things looked promising then the wheels fell off in spectacular fashion.  His signings have yet to impress, his gameplan and use of subs is sadly lacking as well.  When we have the ball it is slow and ponderous and we look incapable of sustained pressure against a team nor do we look capable of making many openings. Our defence is a joke and surely that should have been sorted out in over 3 months of coaching and training. Halleron, Scullion and Marky Munro as well as McGuigan look to be out of the picture for the time being although Mcguigan started yesterday. Halleron was prepared to run at the opposition and Scullion had a bit pace about him,

We cannot look for any more loanees as I am sure you can only have 5 in a season and we already have Scullion, O'Neil, Dykes, McBride and Armstrong on our books so that option looks shot. Anyone that comes into the club in January will be jobbers that no one else wants and those on our books generally do not look up for the fight.

In all my years as a supporter this is one of the worst teams I have seen turn out in maroon and there is no sense of anticipation prior to a game more a general acceptance that we will have another poor day.

We will see in the next two weeks what ambition, if any, taht the board and management have, or if they are prepared to take the gamble that we will win the play-offs to remain in the league and that is something I would not be prepared to bet on given our current form and attitude.

Chris O'Neil was signed from Airdrieonians, he's definitely not a loanee. Someone might need to correct me but I don't think Jordan Armstrong is on loan either, I'm sure we brought him in after he was released by Motherwell.

As for the rest of them, Liam Scullion is too lightweight and drops out of games too easily, Dylan Dykes is decent enough on the ball but no good without it, and I've yet to see anything at all from Connor McBride to suggests he's got it.

Davie Irons was able to bring in some very good players to the club during his first spell - think of Eric Paton and Michael Devlin in particular - and I hope he can reprise that. With Ryan Blair and Botti Biabi likely to leave in January, we'll need a new central midfielder and a striker, and a left-back, something we've needed all season.

While I'm hopeful we can bring in some new players, it can't all be down to turning over the squad - the only senior players to have performed consistently over the last five months have been Graeme Smith and Scott McLaughlin. We should be expecting more from Andy Munro and Mark McGuigan.

15 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Chris O'Neil was signed from Airdrieonians, he's definitely not a loanee. Someone might need to correct me but I don't think Jordan Armstrong is on loan either, I'm sure we brought him in after he was released by Motherwell.

My mistake - you are right - I thought that O'Neil had been loaned from St Johnstone and Armstrong was released by Motherwell.

Armstrong is of Kyle Johnson level of dumpling. 

I feel we are going down without a whimper. Different team every week and the manager looks more clueless by the week aided by a squad of charlatans.

What a time to be alive.