Forfar Athletic v Montrose PART V

First half was a decent game, second half was disastrous for Forfar, sat far too deep and Lyons constantly exploited Gary Irvine's inability to run, also if Bain and Burns swapped positions then we might have had a better force going forwards, but would have been even weaker at the back! Marc McCallum saved our hides on multiple occasions but it was inevitable that Montrose would eventually score a winner.

Hope Stuart Malcolm can find a good CM and a winger in January. With Airdrie, Raith & Falkirk coming up we might be bottom come 31st January 2020!   

9 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Burns gets an unnecessarily hard time for some reason

He's an average LB. Nowhere near as good as Adam Eckersely was for us and I think Baino is slightly better than him, even on his weaker side. Sean Burns is better than Archie MacPhee anyway, pointless loan signing, he was in the Highland League for a reason!

Brilliant win for the Mo. No idea what game Malcolm was watching saying that Forfar didn't deserve to lose. Montrose must have had about 20 chances and played Forfar off the park at times. Great character to come back from being down and some great performances across the park. Both Paul Watson and Terry Masson were immense today, used all their experience and completely controlled the midfield. [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

At the end of the gubbing in the playoff in Dumfries last year Paul Watson gave his boots to a young fan in the crowd. I kinda figured that was him finished playing for us and retirement or a move was on the cards.
I'm glad he didn't as at times this season he is a class apart on the park and runs the game.

Webby is in the same bracket, been fantastic this season.

9 hours ago, Gogs Grog said:

At the end of the gubbing in the playoff in Dumfries last year Paul Watson gave his boots to a young fan in the crowd. I kinda figured that was him finished playing for us and retirement or a move was on the cards.
I'm glad he didn't as at times this season he is a class apart on the park and runs the game.

Webby is in the same bracket, been fantastic this season.

Spot on is that. Watson is an immense influence when he's on the park and so too is Rossco.

As for Webby he's been massive for us this season. Yesterday he was pretty well marked out in the first half but in the second half he broke loose and basically changed the game with his goal then that run down the right for our third goal.

Thought Forfar looked good first half but their experienced players 'bullied' us at the back - Cammy and Matty in particular, and it upset our usual style - so fair play to their game plan. Second half though we stood up to them, made fewer mistakes and took the game to them. Both Managers clearly had a game plan which worked for Forfar fiirst half until SP changed it second half to great effect. As Gogs said though great credit to Winker and Webby.

Burns was arguably our best player in Stranraer, but just keep picking the easy target eh...

Why not call out some of the utter wage stealers like forbes, docherty or irvine?

He's an average LB. Nowhere near as good as Adam Eckersely was for us and I think Baino is slightly better than him, even on his weaker side. Sean Burns is better than Archie MacPhee anyway, pointless loan signing, he was in the Highland League for a reason!

Burns was arguably our best player in Stranraer, but just keep picking the easy target eh...

Why not call out some of the utter wage stealers like forbes, docherty or irvine?
Couldn't agree more. If I was a Loon I wouldn't whinge about young players like Burns of Coupe I would moan about the overweight senior players who offer absolutely nothing, are probably on a high wage and continue to shout at their teammates. I reckon Irvine, Jackson, Forbes and Docherty are quite toxic for the dressing room, the sooner you get rid of them the better in my opinion.

22 minutes ago, GableEnder21 said:
1 hour ago, TheClosingArguement said:

Couldn't agree more. If I was a Loon I wouldn't whinge about young players like Burns of Coupe I would moan about the overweight senior players who offer absolutely nothing, are probably on a high wage and continue to shout at their teammates. I reckon Irvine, Jackson, Forbes and Docherty are quite toxic for the dressing room, the sooner you get rid of them the better in my opinion.

It's not like those guys have been devoid of criticism, they've been getting it all season. Hard to understand the slagging of Forbes though when he's scoring and setting them up and is good to watch. The other three look done I'm afraid.

Guest bernardblack

Forbes is another who gets stick for no reason. Scored again at the weekend.

Irvine and Docherty shouldn’t start, but are always shoehorned into the team

12 hours ago, bernardblack said:

Forbes is another who gets stick for no reason. Scored again at the weekend.

Irvine and Docherty shouldn’t start, but are always shoehorned into the team

Forbes is very similar to Dylan Easton, everybody knows how brilliant they are but can be lazy and go missing when the going gets tough, which is why fans tend to be very decisive over so called "luxury" players. However, credit to Ross Forbes he seems to be working harder under Stuart Malcolm and that is showing in his recent goal return, scoring from open play as well as set pieces, so criticism may dwindle. 

As for Irvine and Docherty, with Travis and Kirkpatrick having been out injured recently we haven't had much choice but to play these guys. With some decent loan signings in January Irvine and Docherty may get relegated to the bench.

Edited by Bridie Vision
Grammar

All this stuff about Forbes being a luxury player and going missing when the going gets tough is rubbish. Just  look at his goals and assist record last season in a side that struggled at the wrong end - Dumbarton would've been knackered without him. The problem is he's not a headless chicken so as per usual some of our supporters jump all over him.

All this stuff about Forbes being a luxury player and going missing when the going gets tough is rubbish. Just  look at his goals and assist record last season in a side that struggled at the wrong end - Dumbarton would've been knackered without him. The problem is he's not a headless chicken so as per usual some of our supporters jump all over him.

Dumbarton fans were saying the same thing last season when they were struggling under Aitken about him being a luxury player. He does go missing when the going gets tough.

11 minutes ago, iamnotgarybollan said:

Dumbarton fans were saying the same thing last season when they were struggling under Aitken about him being a luxury player. He does go missing when the going gets tough.

Yep and some Dumbarton fans disagreed, his record is there in black and white. It's gotten tough for us and he's stepped up and is just about the only creative player we've got.

Guest bernardblack

Agreed. Some fans would rather the team was full of players who just ran all day but were utter mince. It’s infuriating

Guest bernardblack

Also had to laugh at overhearing the following on Saturday:

“This would never have happened if Petrie had got the job instead of Weir”

Our fans are an utter joke sometimes