Forfar Athletic v Montrose PART V

The fifth meeting this season and it's not even January.

Aggregate score so far

FAFC 7 - 6 MFC

Not far for most fans to travel, so would be nice to see a big Christmas crowd out for both teams.

Forfar are now starting to find the net, which is good, however we're all over the play at the back.  Could be another high scoring game.

Little write up on the Forfar website about our first game of the decade, which nearly brought a tear to my eye. As that was the last time I was ever at Station Park.

https://www.forfarathletic.co.uk/fixtures-and-reports/fixture-news/item/4042-last-game-of-the-decade

Incidentally, the ‘Loons’ first home game of the current decade was in fact delayed by a couple of weeks due to the wintry weather around the festive period time in the 2009/10 season.

Eventually on the Monday evening of January 18th, 2010 Station Park played host to a Scottish Cup tie against St. Johnstone, the Perth side triumphing by 3-0 in front of a crowd of 1,449.

It was, in fact, Forfar’s first competitive fixture since December 12th.

The home side’s line up that wintry January evening was;- Ally Brown, Mark McCulloch, Iain Campbell, Martyn Fotheringham, Andy Tod, Stephen Tulloch, Kevin Gordon, David Mowat, Chris Templeman, Ross Campbell, Graham Gibson

Subs – Kevin Fotheringham, Nicky Smith, Bryan Deasley, Callum Smith & Matthew Curtis

It was fucking freezing. I'd come home for Christmas and New Year and my flight was 23rd Jan.  I thought I was never going to see them play before I had to leave.

If we play anything like we did against Falkirk then I expect us to take all three points. Hopefully SP has worked on defending over the week because we were all over the place on Saturday.
Last week was a free hit for us. This weekend is a much bigger game for us. Three points would be a great end to the year and keep Farfar at arms length.
We've been unlucky at Station Park over the last couple of years. We are due a win there.

My prediction - 2-1 to the Mo.

Looking forward to the game. Although we got beat last week we should have taken a lot of confidence from the performance. Forfar have done pretty well since Malcolm came in so I think this will be a tight affair. Results havent gone our way the last couple of seasons at Station Park so that has got to change sometime. Reckon we will win 2-1

A Forfar win. Team spirit seems to have returned and they should be building on the new found ability to score goals - one more than Montrose would do but I fancy 2 or 3 more. So, a tight defence and a midfield feeding the forwards who'll be working the Montrose goalie. 

Guest bernardblack

That’s 100% the gaffers fault today. Both full backs were ran ragged all game and nothing was done about it.

Montrose did look good though, very organised

Guest bernardblack
Yeah, I thought Blair Lyons put in a good shift as well.

He looks a very good player.

We need to freshen up the starting eleven.

I do like Bain and Burns on the left however

Montrose should have had this game wrapped up by half time.
A commanding performance though and well worth the win.
Just wish we could be more clinical in front of goal, the ball seems to always get tangled in feet, or one pass too many is made.
We also seem to be prone to sucker punches....dominate a game, then opposing team sweeps up the park and scores with ease.
The guys worked hard today though and we got the three points.....our form is championship winning, dare i say it?

15 minutes ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

You what!?

I agree...Montrose had 2 full backs who could hit the by line and deliver a cross...we didn't have a midfielder who could do that 2nd half.

We were lacking pace all 2nd half, if ever this was a day to play on the shoulder of Dillon with Hilson and Coupe..

Makeshift back 4 remember, gaffer has to get signings right this January or we will be in trouble.

9 minutes ago, GT Mo said:

Montrose should have had this game wrapped up by half time.
A commanding performance though and well worth the win.
Just wish we could be more clinical in front of goal, the ball seems to always get tangled in feet, or one pass too many is made.
We also seem to be prone to sucker punches....dominate a game, then opposing team sweeps up the park and scores with ease.
The guys worked hard today though and we got the three points.....our form is championship winning, dare i say it?

The lads appeared to be day dreaming when forfar scored both their goals.  Same last week.

Great result today though.