Counting the injuries (Run up to march)

greenockraver

Guest DAVIDB69
One key player and one sub. And neither of them are out of this game yet.

If they are just back by then we will be told not to pick them and we seem to do what we are told.

I immediately assumed McTominay would be out for 6 months or something...but then read this on the BBC:

"McTominay left Old Trafford on crutches and is now a doubt for Saturday's trip to Burnley.

"The boy has got the biggest heart and we've seen him heal quickly before but I am not sure if he is going to be ready for Saturday," Solskjaer added"

Confused.com

21 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I immediately assumed McTominay would be out for 6 months or something...but then read this on the BBC:

"McTominay left Old Trafford on crutches and is now a doubt for Saturday's trip to Burnley.

"The boy has got the biggest heart and we've seen him heal quickly before but I am not sure if he is going to be ready for Saturday," Solskjaer added"

Confused.com

Can only assume it’s a knee ligament injury of the minor type ie a strain. If so he’ll might be out for 4-6 weeks.

Can only assume it’s a knee ligament injury of the minor type ie a strain. If so he’ll might be out for 4-6 weeks.
There's a bunch of different ligaments around the knee as well. ACL is the worst to tear (6 months+ out if it's bad). Tearing the MCL could be a few weeks of physiotherapy.

Torn ACL used to be a borderline career-ending injury a few decades ago in some sports.

I'm currently very thankful for the winter break here. Those few weeks off could be crucial in terms of likelihood of sustaining injuries before the play offs.

Tierney will likely recover in time, but I doubt he'll have had any games. McGinn very unlikely. Hope to shit McTominay can make it.

This is off topic, but I'm not sure I'll ever get used to people saying footballers have 'torn their ACL'. To me it'll always be 'he's done his cruciate', but that seems to have gone out of fashion.
It's probably borrowed from American sport. I started saying 'torn ACL' from watching the NFL. It's a far more common injury in that sport due to quick changes of direction/jumping

4 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

McT out for 'a few months' apparently. Means he is probably in the same iffy bracket as McGinn.
Two of our most convincing players broken. That's pish luck

We really must be one of the most unlucky teams when it comes to injuries.

Clarke has never had close to a first 11 at any point.

I'm not giving up hope tho, never do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dean Smith on McGinn: 

“He has been doing a lot of work in the pool and is due to come out of the protective boot,” said Smith. “Once that happens we can start advancing his recovery.

“I have not got a time limit, but knowing John he would probably have pencilled in the cup final. Knowing the medical staff they will have rubbed that out.

“He is a fighter and a quick healer. I would not rule it out (playing in the final). He has a big date with the Euros as well. He will be itching to get back, that is for sure.”

• 1 month later...