3 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

In that case we must be looking at £10m plus for Sam;)

Apparently we're basing our valuation on what you lot think he'll go for :D Think Dykes does more work up top than Cosgrove but Cosgrove is a better goalscorer. 10 in 21 isn't too bad for Dykes though. He's had to change the type of player he is with us, going from a supporting striker to a leading number 9 and the focal point of attacks, he's only going to get better

2 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Apparently we're basing our valuation on what you lot think he'll go for :D Think Dykes does more work up top than Cosgrove but Cosgrove is a better goalscorer. 10 in 21 isn't too bad for Dykes though. He's had to change the type of player he is with us, going from a supporting striker to a leading number 9 and the focal point of attacks, he's only going to get better

Happy for us both to get maximum amount possible for both players**

Time for Scottish clubs to stop dropping their drawers at first offer put on the table from south of the border 

** I reserve the right to change that viewpoint IF my team were in fact to put an offer on the table for Dykes :lol:

2 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

Happy for us both to get maximum amount possible for both players**

Time for Scottish clubs to stop dropping their drawers at first offer put on the table from south of the border 

** I reserve the right to change that viewpoint IF my team were in fact to put an offer on the table for Dykes :lol:

Absolutely agree with that, any fee 1m+ would massively change our team, be able to reinvest it etc and the fee trickles down once we sign the likes of Bowie/Nisbet/A.Forrest :D Having players on longer contracts massively helps, down to clubs to be smarter now

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Absolutely agree with that, any fee 1m+ would massively change our team, be able to reinvest it etc and the fee trickles down once we sign the likes of Bowie/Nisbet/A.Forrest :D Having players on longer contracts massively helps, down to clubs to be smarter now

Doubt very much we would get any way near 1m for Dykes as much as wede love to.He seems to have settled into our system of play and could be a massive part in us staying in this league. Would hate to weaken our forward line more than would be neccsesery. Cant wait till January is over.Big decisions ahead.🦁

Guest Bob Mahelp

I hope the Livi lads didn't misunderstand me. I'd loooooove to see them get 2 million for Dykes (as long as it wasn't from Aberdeen). 

Real Politik though generally determines that in the the Scottish game it's difficult for any non-OF club to get big money for players. That's sadly just the way it is. 

4 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I hope the Livi lads didn't misunderstand me. I'd loooooove to see them get 2 million for Dykes (as long as it wasn't from Aberdeen). 

Real Politik though generally determines that in the the Scottish game it's difficult for any non-OF club to get big money for players. That's sadly just the way it is. 

Agree that 2 mill is a big fee but then it’s silly money in england so who knows.. I think January would be a bit soon for him having only played 6 months in the top flight.

Watching an English PL game today I'm listening to transfer fees of £50 million + being paid. Are we underselling our players when they go south?

Probably but clubs that pull in £100m of revenue in tv money alone will always be able to demand bigger transfer fees than clubs that’s total revenue is tiny in comparison.

Guest Bob Mahelp
12 hours ago, orco said:

Watching an English PL game today I'm listening to transfer fees of £50 million + being paid. Are we underselling our players when they go south?

Scottish football as a brand is split into two sections....the OF section which has its own market prices, and the rest of Scottish football, which outside Scotland is regarded as virtually worthless. 

One of the best midfielders in the Premiership.....John McGinn....went from Hibs to Villa for pennies. When Villa are relegated he'll go to a top club for tens of millions. However, if he'd been a Celtic player there's no doubt Villa would have paid 5 or 10 times more for him.

It's the perception of what Scottish football actually is that's the problem, not that we really under value ourselves.

23 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

One of the best midfielders in the Premiership.....John McGinn....went from Hibs to Villa for pennies. When Villa are relegated he'll go to a top club for tens of millions.

Villa paid a fee of £3m, of which Hibs took the lions share and the rest to St M (the numbers are in their accounts).

When he moves on Hibs get (so we have heard) 20% of the gross transfer.

Hibs structured the deal in such a way as they -

(a) know Scottish league players are undervalued

(b) knew the big money would come from the sellon down there

(c) were entirely solvent and didnt need the cash on the nail

It isnt just English clubs that treat Scottish players as diddies - Celtic (who should know our league players, and who have £70m in the bank) refused to pay the "pennies" that Villa ultimately paid for John McGinn.

Until we have sponsors willing to throw cash at our league and can consistently attract decent players from (say) English Championship so clubs down south can compare like for like, the transfer fees of Scottish players moving down south will remain relatively poor.