Morton Vs Thistle

So glad I drove through from Dundee to watch that abject performance...

Morton really didn't deserve anything from the game and it probably summed up the season so far; lack of appropriate tactics, players unable to do the simple things, lack of direction, no plan B, no dig or commitment.

I think I counted 4 formations used today (451, 523, 442, 433) and none of them seemed well thought out. Livingston was really poor at left back but he did have almost no support defensively. But no change until too late. 

The number of stray passes or balls hit it first time long and aimlessly is infuriating and pish.  All of the defence and keeper are guilty of forgetting we have midfielders (sometimes) and if it's the "tactics" they've not worked all season.

Getting back to 1-1 and then deciding to go to 5 at the back and sit in was fucking suicide. Maybe get to half time but to come out the same way in the second half and think that we could do that for 45 minutes is madness. Only positive from that was that Welsh moved away from right back and Jacobs seemed more effective there than midfield, just.

We're absolutely in a relegation fight with a squad that don't seem capable of getting out it or a management team that have a clue how to get the best out of that squad. We're worse than 2 part time teams with a squad including guys who have won this division and played at a higher level.

Absolute stone waller of a penalty though. Definitely an elbow in the face which could have been a red, but the referee seemed to decide pretty quickly that it was just a booking.

'Not if we put them back in their box and despatch them to the seaside league, where Ian McCall’s cider-fuelled fantasies of returning them to the top flight go to die alongside those of Ray ‘Ray’ McKinnon at Grangemouth. With their boardroom thrown into a state of chaos that is now not just a possible but quite realistic outcome, which makes the outcome of this game all the more important.

Get them hounded.'

Hiya VikingTwat! 

Thought we were great today. Never really troubled, and played some lovely stuff at times. Final ball is still lacking, but there was definitely far more purposeful attacking play than there has been in previous weeks. Penrice and Bannigan were excellent, and O’Ware lost nothing in the air.

Morton were atrocious, and surely Hopkin must be away soon. Robbie Muirhead must be one of the laziest footballers I’ve ever seen.

Grim stuff. Thistle deserved the win but tbh didn’t need to do much to get it. Poor performance and if the intention is to play hoof ball all Fekin season then should rip up the season ticket now. Not only is it grim to watch we don’t have the personnel to play it and we are getting no results. There is no excuse for not being organised defensively but to be sitting so deep and inviting on Thistle then you’ve got to wonder what is going through Hopkins head. What do they work on all week ffs.

11 minutes ago, GrahamJags said:

Thought we were great today. Never really troubled, and played some lovely stuff at times. Final ball is still lacking, but there was definitely far more purposeful attacking play than there has been in previous weeks. Penrice and Bannigan were excellent, and O’Ware lost nothing in the air.

Morton were atrocious, and surely Hopkin must be away soon. Robbie Muirhead must be one of the laziest footballers I’ve ever seen.

You deserved the win against today undoubtedly the worst team in the division.

Bannigan did play well, as he had all bloody day to pick passes under no pressure as we had absolutely no midfield.

But if you think you played great today and it was lovely stuff then you are easily pleased.

We are absolutely honking, and you didn't create many chances at all.

Our most passable performance of the season, although a healthy dose of gloss was added by the standard of opposition with non-existent full backs and unforced errors galore. 

McCall has had his glitches so far, mainly in and around the farce showing against Penicuik, but to have us out the bottom two for the start of next year is a promising start. We shouldn't lose sight though of the fact that most of our squad are a gang and work to improve should commence immediately. 

1 minute ago, Firhill5thrillz said:

Morton’s fullbacks can’t deal with pace. 

I don't think that haddie Livingstone can deal with football. Once Strapp came on the threat down that side was pretty much nullified but, by then, Partick were ahead and could sit back a bit.

I honestly can't think of a manager we've had worse than Hopkin now. I think back to the first few games of the season were we were still very direct and playing the odd long ball but were dangerous on the break and happy to zip it out to the wingers to take players on. Now it's just nothing but aimless lumps up the park and hoping John Sutton, with all the pace of Nora Batty, can conjure something from nothing.

Partick were pretty average, at best, today but we were just so much fucking worse. Absolutely any team in this league and half the teams in the league below would have beaten us today.

Didn’t even think we were that good today, but still comfortable enough. Fairly tough and unpredictable conditions, but we dealt with the elements well against an utter gang of a Morton team. No idea what Hopkin is playing at with his tactics, but tbh I hope it continues.

Bannigan has really started to turn things around this last month or so, and I thought he was the best player on the pitch, with Penrice a close second. He kept it ticking over in midfield and I don’t think he put a foot wrong; a very rare treat in a red & yellow jersey in the past 2 years.

Ending the year in 8th is about as good as we could have hoped for in September/October with this rabble of a squad, and not only has McCall got us picking up consistent points, but we actually look pretty solid and stable right now. Can’t wait until he can bring in some of his own signings to replace Caldwell’s dross.

Edited by Nightmare