Airdrie Utd vs Falkirk

5 hours ago, 60`s bairn said:

is it this guy...?

AV6K8243.JPG

Aye that's him. I suppose you're already overloaded with centre mids but he at least offers something different than McShane/Tidser/Gomis. Would definitely be a better centre-half than Durnan too and can at least cover right-back if not both full-back positions. Your loss I suppose ;) 

2 hours ago, Sanity check needed. said:
6 hours ago, airdrieman said:
I think he's a good player albeit fairly raw. Can play in several positions in the defence but we've been mainly using him as a holding midfielder. Does the dirty work and while he does nothing fancy, will more often than not find a team mate with a straightforward pass. One of his biggest assets is his runs into the box either with the ball or to support the forwards. One of the best examples of that was actually in the previous games at TFS when he scored our first goal. Has the long throw-in too which, while it works better in some games than others, is definitely an asset. 

Was definitely impressed with him yesterday as he protected the defence well and made good runs forward and as you said played a good few simple balls that got Airdrie on the front foot.

Me too. I'm not actually sure why he's under-appreciated by most Airdrie fans. Without being too cliche he's the sort of the player Airdrie fans would typically like but he seems to get it tighter than most of other players. Kieran Millar for example, is having a very good season beside him in the midfield, and is rightly being praised for it but McKay has a much wider and more varied skill set but seems to get more critical comments. We'd be a much weaker team without McKay in it IMO. 

IMG_5517.thumb.jpg.ecc6b8eb6037abf461ff90580ad5953a.jpg

Airdrie fans “We aren’t bigoted old firm unionists, that can’t afford the bus fare”

Also Airdrie fans.....

As noted above, the Guy in question has nothing to do with Airdrie! He obviously just has enough taste to like red diamonds, albeit his taste in Football clubs is poor. Don’t let that get in the way though 🤣

I’ve got a radical suggestion though, maybe football fans aren’t the homogenous mass that some people think.

There are people within our support who wish to carry union flags, there will no doubt be some Rangers and Celtic fans who come along from time to time because they have a soft spot for Airdrie. There are also Scottish nationalists including a sitting SNP MP with if the support. There’s also a health mix of religious/agnostic beliefs 🤯

I’m pretty sure that would also be an accurate description of FFC’s own fans.

The only thing I personally really care about in terms of our support is that there is one that can support a sustainable Airdrieonians. Other clubs own views (or prejudices) are up to them; kudos to Falkirk though, miles ahead of where Airdrie are despite a very difficult few years.

As noted above, the Guy in question has nothing to do with Airdrie! He obviously just has enough taste to like red diamonds, albeit his taste in Football clubs is poor. Don’t let that get in the way though [emoji1787]

I’ve got a radical suggestion though, maybe football fans aren’t the homogenous mass that some people think.

There are people within our support who wish to carry union flags, there will no doubt be some Rangers and Celtic fans who come along from time to time because they have a soft spot for Airdrie. There are also Scottish nationalists including a sitting SNP MP with if the support. There’s also a health mix of religious/agnostic beliefs [emoji2962]

I’m pretty sure that would also be an accurate description of FFC’s own fans.

The only thing I personally really care about in terms of our support is that there is one that can support a sustainable Airdrieonians. Other clubs own views (or prejudices) are up to them; kudos to Falkirk though, miles ahead of where Airdrie are despite a very difficult few years.

Stop being sensible you, this is pie and bovril...

Airdrie were mainly dangerous from corners, our 2 centre halfs spent every corner grappling a forward and not looking at the ball, they had no idea when the corners were being taken, the airdrie forwards would make a run as the kick was taken totally leaving our pair for dead. If instead of pretending they're WWE wrestlers and took the radical step of watching the ball then going to attack the ball airdrie would hardly have had a chance in the match! 

On 28/12/2019 at 19:15, Gaz said:

Are any Falkirk fans yet able to give me an objective opinion on why appointing Miller and McCracken as full-time managers was the right decision?

Would appreciate some honest opinions on why this was the right decision rather than the usual "got to give them a chance" we usually get.

I'm glad one of you is speaking sense. I'd be expecting Falkirk fans to be on the verge of a riot but support seems almost in a stupor.

Imagine telling someone in the summer Falkirk would be as close to 5th as 1st in January.

A tight game in a tight league; 7 points between first and sixth going into the turn of the year, really is quite something. Must be a streak of masochism in me but I enjoyed the tense, heart in mouth nature of it, even if there were only intermittent spells of football being played. 

The old adage that to win a game you need to score when on top proved a truism again; we had to get a second goal before halftime in that period where we were really putting Falkirk under pressure, and we very nearly did with the header off the bar. Halftime came at the wrong time for us, really. 

Second half Falkirk had the better of it and had their own spells of pressure that I really thought we'd come a cropper in, but they also didn't make their period of dominance count with a goal. In fact, they'll be concerned that they didn't really create many chances in the second half, relative to the amount of ball they had. I would have taken a point before the game and it would seem a share of the spoils was about right on balance; a better point for us than for Falkirk, I would suggest. That keeps us above them, keeps us unbeaten against them thus far and really from the position they are in they had to be winning. 

Will be very, very interesting to see how both clubs approach January. We could do with another goalscorer, a different kind of striker, dare I say a target man, and Falkirk... well, Falkirk need something, alright. 

13 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

I mean it was entertaining, it was tense, but Chick must have been getting, ahem, 'hospitable' treatment all afternoon... 

13 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

I mean it was entertaining, it was tense, but Chick must have been getting, ahem, 'hospitable' treatment all afternoon... 

The problem we have in scottis h football top flight is all games are devoid of any physical contact,  sterile, too tactical and generally pish.....   Saturday wasn't great, but you couldn't argue  it was tense, 2 committed teams, decent crowd and you left feeling you had been to a fitba match..

Just now, Passionate said:

The problem we have in scottis h football top flight is all games are devoid of any physical contact,  sterile, too tactical and generally pish.....   Saturday wasn't great, but you couldn't argue  it was tense, 2 committed teams, decent crowd and you left feeling you had been to a fitba match..

Yeah, I mean it's all relative, watch match of the day or european matches and it genuinely feels like a non-contact sport, with any feather-light touch being considered a foul or impediment. The scottish top flight looks far more robust in that light, but compared to League 1 and presumably the division above and below us it does seem a different set of standards are in play regards tackles, fouls and so forth. 

I found Saturday to be a really absorbing contest that was right in the balance from beginning to end. No going to expect much more than that from a League 1 match, so no complaints from me in that regard. 

At this level unless one team is totally outplaying the other and has the freedom to play really good football, you seldom see "good" football matches in the conventional sense (oh so bourgois!).  And that doesn't often happen, unless it's a good full-time team against a bad part-time one.  Most games are scrappy and bitty, because if they players were capable of a lot more than that they wouldn't be playing for Airdrie, Falkirk, Peterhead etc.  But you can still get entertaining games that are, as our backwards-talking denizen of the Black Lodge says, really absorbing.  That's what we had on Saturday, for my £0.02.

43 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

At this level unless one team is totally outplaying the other and has the freedom to play really good football, you seldom see "good" football matches in the conventional sense (oh so bourgois!).  And that doesn't often happen, unless it's a good full-time team against a bad part-time one.  Most games are scrappy and bitty, because if they players were capable of a lot more than that they wouldn't be playing for Airdrie, Falkirk, Peterhead etc.  But you can still get entertaining games that are, as our backwards-talking denizen of the Black Lodge says, really absorbing.  That's what we had on Saturday, for my £0.02.

ereht did uoy tahw ees I.