Airdrie Utd vs Falkirk

I’m really looking forward to seeing the highlights. I have no idea how Toshney hasn’t been sent off in the first half - there must be something we’re missing.

I’ve watched the Falkirk TV interviews and it’s very amusing to listen to the Falkirk players try imply they’re some sort of silky football team. Their back four hoofed the ball at every opportunity today. They completely and utterly deserve to be where they are.

22 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I’m really looking forward to seeing the highlights. I have no idea how Toshney hasn’t been sent off in the first half - there must be something we’re missing.

I’ve watched the Falkirk TV interviews and it’s very amusing to listen to the Falkirk players try imply they’re some sort of silky football team. Their back four hoofed the ball at every opportunity today. They completely and utterly deserve to be where they are.

The acceptance from them that our performance today was at all close to acceptable is so worrying. Thought the new management team would get that out of them but nah it’s the same old same old really. We barely played any football today and yet the interviews suggest we were just unlucky (which must come from the management team). Shite.

A few things about yesterday.

I like the stadium. Something like that would have done us just fine and I could imagine it rocking at some of the bigger games we've had down the years.

I thought McMillan and Mcmanus are starting to look like a partnership - loads of good lay-offs by McMillan and his finish for the goal was pretty good. 

We looked better when Longridge went off and Connolly came on. The wee guy can certainly teach some of our puddings how to jump and win headers. When he was joined by Maclean you started to see what McKinnon had in mind for the team - quick passing and keeping it on the deck. The lumping it high and booted clearances just give the opposition time to get tight to the target.

McShane can gtf. Heart of a mouse and disinterested. A midfield of him, Miller and Longridge/Connolly doesn't work because Longridge/Connolly hug the wing and Miller sits in front of the defence so we end up with a one-man midfield supported by forwards tracking back. Fine when that one man is Gomis but not when it's a shitehawk like McShane.

Miller is more of a captain than Buchanan as seen by him stepping in when Buchanan was still complaining to the ref about the penalty. Talking of which, there were 3 or 4 Airdrie claims for handball in the box - it seems that whenever it was bouncing around or booted into a crowd of players they started appealing. I wonder if that helped make the ref's decision for him?

Never mind the shouts for BSLM to get stripped, maybe we should get McCracken on the pitch to marshall the defence. At virtually every corner, Airdrie were winning free headers and finding space. We know Durnan and Buchanan can head the ball, so it's down to them not being in the right place and that's down to organisation. 

A word for Mutch - well done son. He stands out amongst the dross and I think he's the secret of our good defensive record, not the shower of shite in front of him. 

12 hours ago, diamond daft said:

Build a wall outskirts of the shire. Too keep you rats out.

DxSYh5UX4AILXqq.jpg

Used to be Airdrie songs that upset folk, now it's their flags?

As for the league, Airdrie's poor run continuing against the welly wearing thugs desperate to please the 24,000 travelling Fearties and if there's no money in the kitty for January then they can only hope the others continue to be as bad! 

That was an entertaining game albeit short on quality. As much as I hate to indulge them it makes a huge difference having a crowd for a change so fair play to Falkirk for that. 

The first half in particular was one of the more entertaining halves of football I've seen at New Broomfield for a while. Again short on quality but fairly end-to-end and pretty tousy. 

Not sure what Hutton was playing at at their goal. He's made (another) cracking save at the previous corner, and I'm loath to criticise him because he's won us far more points than he's cost us, but far too often he's punching corners and crosses away when he really should be catching them. It's a habit of his he needs to curtail. Nice finish from McMillan though. 

Thought Toshney was lucky not to be sent off. I sit pretty much right in line with where the penalty was given and didn't think it was a handball or in the box but I'll certainly take it. Especially considering Smith was unlucky not to get a penalty in the aforementioned incident with Toshney and I thought he had a decent penalty shout before that too when he was pulled back in the box. 

Would like to see Crighton's header again. Was hard to tell during the game but it looked as if it may have bounced over the line. The ref and the linesman (who was of no help throughout the game) maybe didn't cover themselves in glory there but they were crap for both teams throughout the game. 

We fell out the game a little in the second half but still had our chances to win. McLean looked threatening for them so I was pleased when he came off, especially since it was that big dumpling Sammon who replaced him. 

Roberts is a terrific player isn't he? He's so fundamental to how we play. Made a big difference having him in the team from the start. Was a shame he tired near the end but the game was crying out for a couple of subs. Unfortunately, that's one of our main weaknesses as there's no match-winners on that bench at all. Thomson was unlucky with his shot that hit the bar, and he does provide energy and pace, but he's not a central player and can't really do the same job as Roberts. As for Roy what else is there to say that hasn't already been said? While the service to him was poor, he wasn't even putting himself about or getting involved in the game. Big Swede or not we badly need an improvement in that position. 

It was a shame we fell out the game in the second half and reverted to hoof ball rather than showing a bit of composure and keeping the ball on the deck as that game was there for the taking. I assume it's some sort of practical joke amongst Scottish football managers that Mark Durnan continues to be a professional footballer. The whole Falkirk defence were stinkin' in all honesty and I'm disappointed we didn't test them more with more balls in behind and balls to the feet of our strikers. 

That being said, I'm still pleased with the point and the overall recovery from our defeat last week. Previous Airdrie teams would have lost that game, especially from a goal behind but, despite the lack of quality, this team does have a battling quality and fight about it which is great to see. 

Never nice to see a player stretchered off, especially when they have an injury history like Lewis Toshney. Hope he is okay and makes a quick and substantial recovery. 

We got all we deserved.

M&M have made as much an impact as I think they can with this squad and if we are going to significantly improve it needs 4/5 players. Looks like they left out Tidser because of the perceived style of Airdrie

Millar has his best game for us and McMillan was also decent. The rest, especially the centre of defence, were poor. We can argue all we want about the PK but it should never have got that far. Durnan should have just launched the ball into the stands than fanny about and give away the free kick.

Airdrie are string defensively and don’t give you a second to play but like us ain’t pretty to watch. The fella with the green Boots was their best middle to front. Their goalkeeper has always been howling and looked a bag of nerves yesterday, we just didn’t press him enough.

A bit puzzled at millers interview. We need experience? We need quality for me

3 hours ago, Sanity check needed. said:

Take it he hasn't been good then emoji23.png, thought he looked decent yesterday but against or non existent midfield that's wouldn't be hard

I think he's a good player albeit fairly raw. Can play in several positions in the defence but we've been mainly using him as a holding midfielder. Does the dirty work and while he does nothing fancy, will more often than not find a team mate with a straightforward pass. One of his biggest assets is his runs into the box either with the ball or to support the forwards. One of the best examples of that was actually in the previous games at TFS when he scored our first goal. Has the long throw-in too which, while it works better in some games than others, is definitely an asset. 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

I think he's a good player albeit fairly raw. Can play in several positions in the defence but we've been mainly using him as a holding midfielder. Does the dirty work and while he does nothing fancy, will more often than not find a team mate with a straightforward pass. One of his biggest assets is his runs into the box either with the ball or to support the forwards. One of the best examples of that was actually in the previous games at TFS when he scored our first goal. Has the long throw-in too which, while it works better in some games than others, is definitely an asset. 

is it this guy...?

AV6K8243.JPG

First half especially we just couldn't handle airdries primitive style of hoofball football, basically just batter it into the corners and chase it down for a throw in, was quite similar to rugby. Fair play though as it was affective.  I thought we did try to get it down but our full backs offered no options and as soon as we lost it the ball was belted up the park.  Sure there were a few chances but it was horrible viewing.

Overall a draw was fair.

When did airdrie start singing rangers songs? Sounded like it was that wee group of pussies in the corner. I dont ever recall 'hello hello' being sung pre liquidation.

We do play long ball, but at least we recognise that we do. Falkirk's football was just as bad and when they actually tried to play a passing move they made an arse of it, but listening to the players and fans they think they're Barca lol

Either team could have snatched it at the end, but I'm not disappointed with a point today...that's 5 from a possible 9 against the Barca Bairns.

We do play long ball, but at least we recognise that we do. Falkirk's football was just as bad and when they actually tried to play a passing move they made an arse of it, but listening to the players and fans they think they're Barca lol

Either team could have snatched it at the end, but I'm not disappointed with a point today...that's 5 from a possible 9 against the Barca Bairns.

What a load of shite.
Quote one Falkirk poster on here that’s compared our journeymen team to Barca?
In fact if anything, there’s nothing but criticism of our team from pretty much everyone this season.

50 minutes ago, champions said:

First half especially we just couldn't handle airdries primitive style of hoofball football, basically just batter it into the corners and chase it down for a throw in, was quite similar to rugby. Fair play though as it was affective.  I thought we did try to get it down but our full backs offered no options and as soon as we lost it the ball was belted up the park.  Sure there were a few chances but it was horrible viewing.

Overall a draw was fair.

When did airdrie start singing rangers songs? Sounded like it was that wee group of pussies in the corner. I dont ever recall 'hello hello' being sung pre liquidation.

They've always had that Rangers element but they just stick out more with all the empty seats and shitty wee union jack display. 

Game was absolutely brutal.