Second Quarter Review

I'll have a go at this. Never done it before but there's not a full one for Airdrie yet so here goes.....

Q1 points total = 14, 4th in the league (5 points off the top)

Q2 points total = 18, joint top of the league (with Raith and East Fife)

Best player of the season so far:-  Sean Crighton has been excellent, Callum Gallagher and Dale Carrick have 19 league goals between them and Leon McCann a great find but it's got to be Kurtis Roberts for me. Has tons of energy, links midfield with attack and he's the one I'd be most concerned about losing to injury over the next quarter.

Worst player of the season so far:- Lots of folk reckon Wedderburn, and we've certainly looked better since he dropped to the bench. However, despite the local links and a decent start Ally Roy at this stage gets my vote. I reckon he might do better as part of a front 2 with a partner but our current system looks like it's here to stay and I can't see a role for him at the moment.

Manager rating:- For this quarter, 8/10. Ian Murray has certainly turned things around after an indifferent start had folk questioning his contract extension, but the next quarter and adjusting to other teams seeming to have stopped the system that got us on such a good run will tell us a lot about just how good he is.

Best signing:- Kurtis Roberts. See above.

Worst Signing:- Ally Roy. See above. Huge turnover of players over the summer doesn't help with this one!

Most Improved player:- Dale Carrick. Formerly a player who worked his socks off but had little end product transformed into our top league scorer. Honourable mention to Kieran Millar too, who has been excellent in holding our midfield together. 

Who's winning the league?- Big weekend coming up, but it should still be Falkirk. If we can beat them we can keep ourselves right in the mix for another while yet.

Who's making the play offs?- I think the next quarter will show us who the "real" Montrose are, and East fife have been very streaky over the last couple of seasons. I think Raith, Falkirk, Airdrie and 1 of those 2 will be the top 4.

Who's finishing 9th?- Peterhead.

Who's going down?-  Stranraer. Too much to do.

Best player in the league:- Gomis or Goodwillie.

Highlight of the season:- 93rd minute winner against Falkirk. We've been on the other end of so many of those in recent seasons it was great to be the ones scoring the winner for a change! Darren Youngs greeting face after we put 4 past them a decent 2nd place so far.

Lowlight:- Elgin. We were dreadful and that game was the easiest opportunity we'll have for a long time to get to a quarter final.

Edited by TheBuckfastTriangle
Accidentally quoted using template.

In fairness to the rovers this is usually the worst quarter of the season for us, the clocks go back and we instantly turn to shite and go on a massive losing streak.

We are top albeit on goal difference on christmas day despite a sizeable injury crisis and daft b*****ds getting themselves banned week after week.

Edited by pub car king

Q1 points total = 13, 5th in the league (six points off top)

Q2 points total = 14, 5th in the league (five points off top)

Best player of the season so far: This is a bit of a toss up between Kyle Hutton and Joe McKee for me. Hutton is in the best form of his Sons career at the moment and has been controlling games left, right and centre, with Stuart Carswell struggling for form Hutton has really stepped up and is showing why Jim Duffy rates him so highly. The only player who properly runs him close is Joe McKee who, with 12 assists already, is absolutely pivotal to our attacking play. He's a gorgeous passer of the ball, deceptively good defensively and has the quality from dead balls to ping it right off Ryan McGeever and Isaac Layne. Without them both we lack something, so I wouldn't want to choose between them.

Worst player of the season so far: Mati Zata. I mean he has some competition, but Zata looked poor as a trialist, worse after he signed and was barely seen once the league season started before being punted to Rossvale. Maybe that was to be expected given his pedigree though, and discounting the other younger players we signed I guess Stefan McCluskey has been the biggest disappointment. He was a very handy Championship player with Morton a few years ago, but a couple of seasons in the Juniors have taken their toll and he simply isn't very effective at this level any more. He's like a less defensively adept David Smith.

Manager rating: 8/10. Sometimes he can make some questionable decisions, and sometimes we turn in right stinkers, but I can't really fault Duffy at all. He's got the squad performing at a far higher level than I thought possible and the players clearly all buy into his ideas. We are a team who absolutely play for the manager, and I actually quite enjoy watching us most of the time.

Best signing:- Joe McKee. Although Reghan Tumilty has made a massive impact in an area where we were weak.

Worst Signing:- Mati Zata

Most Improved player:- Ryan McGeever. Started the season looking like a total bombscare who literally backed off players and fell over whenever he went near them, but with some coaching from Duffy he's turning into a bit of a cult hero. Him and big Morgyn Neill might not exactly be a ball-playing duo, but I don't think many strikers would relish coming up against them. Earns bonus points for being a really nice guy, following me on Twitter and scoring for fun.

Who's winning the league? Falkirk. It has to be.

Who's making the play offs? Raith, Airdrie, Montrose.

Who's finishing 9th? Peterhead - Forfar don't look great but they have a wee bit more quality than Peterhead imo.

Who's going down? Stranraer look like being in a really grim position. Small squad, lack of quality and woeful form. They'll now play us off the park on Saturday.

Best player in the league: Michael Tidser - Even if he is only just starting to show it.

Highlight of the season: Saturday's win against Raith was excellent, as was Reghan Tumilty's goal at Station Park a week previous.

Lowlight: The 6-0 defeat to Falkirk really was absolutely horrific, especially given how poor they were under McKinnon.

Q1 points total = 17 (2nd)

Q2 points total = 15 (Joint Top)😉

Best Player of the Season So Far: Either Chris Higgins or Ryan Wallace in the 1st Quarter, Higgins was just absolutely immense the job he did against Hearts in the League Cup will live long in the memory but I’m probably going to go for Waldo, we are a different Team when he is playing, when he was out for a spell with injury was our worst run of the season and it’s no coincidence that we’re putting the results together again now that he’s back!!!

Worst Player of the Season So Far: Absolutely nobody, sure there has been the odd individual error now and again, but nobody has ever been continually bad!!!

Manager rating: 9/10: DY has been excellent this season and the only reason he’s not got a 10/10 is because of this reputation he has garnered of flashing his knickers at any Championship Club that has just binned their manager!!!

Best Signing: Ryan Wallace, we wouldn’t be where we are without him!!!

Worst Signing: Lewis Baker, hasn’t impressed me at all in any of appearances!!!

Most Improved Player: Chris Higgins, like night and day compared to the player who we had last season, was blamed for the loss of the Mighty Meggatt, who even though was our POTY last season was dicked around with in order to accommodate Higgins in the starting 11, but this season nobody has thought about or missed  Meggatt at all!!!

Who's Winning the League?: East Fife, obvs,  unless we lose Waldo again at any point!!!

Who's Making the Play Offs?: Don’t care, unless we don’t win the thing, then us!!!

Who's Finishing 9th?: Forfar - I just think Peterhead are in a false position, they are better than their results show!!!

Who's Going Down?Stranraer - they always play well against us, but they can’t buy a goal and it’s doubtful if they will be able to bring anybody in January and the gap between them and 9th isn’t getting any smaller!!!

Best Player in the League: Ryan Wallace, he is the difference between a side being plucky “Play-Off Contenders” and being genuine “Title Challengers”!!! 

Highlight of the Season: The Dundee Utd game, the Hearts game, the home ties against Raith and Airdrie, take your pick, and it’s only half way through the season!!!

Lowlight of the Season: BSC Glasgow, nuff said!!!