Second Quarter Review

So now that we are half way through the season I thought a review would be good.

Q1 points total = 17

Q2 points total = 15

Q1 Position 2 (2 points off top)

Q2 Position 2 (Level points 123)

Best player of the season so far - Probably Ryan Wallace as he really gels the team when he plays and we miss him when out.

Worst Player of the season so far - Wouldn't single anyone out for worst of the season as nobody has stuck out as bad. Go with kev as he hasn't played a minute [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Manager rating - Darren gets a 9/10 for me. Only way to get a 10 is by winning the league but he's doing an incredible job so far. Would be 9.5 if we had only beaten BSC [emoji1787]

Best signing - Ryan wallace for reasons mentioned above

Worst Signing - harsh again giving it to anyone so it's going to Baker as he hasn't featured yet in his 3 weeks at the club [emoji1787]

Most Improved player - Danny Denholm has shown us why we signed him with some very well taken and important goals. Long may it continue.

Who's winning the league? - anyone of the top 5 [emoji1787] hopefully us.

Who's making the play offs? - top 4 starting to pull away from the rest so can't see past them but if any team is sneaking in it will be Montrose.

Who's finishing 9th? - can't see past forfar they have been shite

Who's going down? - even though they were decent against us Stranraer.

Best player in the league - Ryan Wallace or Ray Grant. Special mentions to the Montrose guy Niang?? He's so classy

Highlight of the season - East Fife 4 -2 Raith rovers for obvious reasons.

Lowlight - BSC Glasgow game

We have been poor this quarter bar the last 2 games which have snuck us the 15 points mentioned above. It seems we are relying on Wallace a bit too much also. Realistically we need to be aiming for 4th place and I wouldn't say we are much better than the likes of Montrose and Clyde so we will see what happens.

We have been poor this quarter bar the last 2 games which have snuck us the 15 points mentioned above. It seems we are relying on Wallace a bit too much also. Realistically we need to be aiming for 4th place and I wouldn't say we are much better than the likes of Montrose and Clyde so we will see what happens.
11 points ahead of Clyde.
6 points ahead of Montrose.

If we have had a poor quarter then great to have a poor quarter where you are closer to the top than you were when you started it [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Manager rating - I think Danny will see us right.

Best signing - David Mitchell - been a rock in goal!

Worst Signing - Tony Wallace

Most Improved player - Impressed by Scott Rumsby. Who was rotting away at Central Park a few seasons ago. Fitting in very well at League 1 standard.

Who's winning the league? - Raith

Who's making the play offs? - Falkirk, Airdrie, East fife

Who's finishing 9th? - Forfar or possibly Peterhead

Who's going down? -  Straraer

Best player in the league - David Goodwillie and I think he will finish top scorer, if he doesn't go in January. Hopefully not of course.

Highlight of the season - 3-1 yesterday against Airdrie... Magical!

Edited by TheBigGuy

Q1 points total = 16 pts

Q2 points total = 15 pts (McKinnon sacked after achieving 7 pts from 5 games here)

Best signing? Between Declan McManus, Jimmy Gomis and Loius Longridge 

Worst signing? Mark Durnan

Most improved player? Gary Miller 

Who's winning the league? Falkirk

Who's finishing in the playoffs? Raith, Airdrie, East Fife

Who's finishing 9th? Forfar

Who's finishing 10th? Stranraer

Highlight? Saturday. Actually scoring a set piece and actually scoring a late goal

Lowlight? Losing (twice :lol:) to an utterly rank Clyde side

Best player in the league? Regan Hendry has impressed me 

Noting the sides points for Q1 and Q2:

Raith Rovers             19 + 13 = 32

East Fife                      17 + 15 = 32

Airdrie                          14 + 18 = 32

Falkirk                          16 + 15 = 31

Dumbarton                13 + 14 = 27

Montrose                      7 + 19 = 26

Clyde                             12 + 9 = 21

Peterhead                    9 + 10 = 19

Forfar                            10 + 8 = 18

Stranraer                       6 + 4 = 10

Looks like Montrose are the current hot team, taking over from Airdrie. The other inconsistency would be Raith, who are fighting injuries and suspended idiots. Clyde have had some niggles, perhaps reflecting in their drop in points earned, but everyone else is pretty even with the long term trend. Unless there is a huge surprise, the bottom four look pretty stable, but Montrose show there is room. The top four look pretty likely in some order, but Dumbarton and Montrose can certainly make inroads.

1 hour ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Q1 points total = 16 pts

Q2 points total = 15 pts (McKinnon sacked after achieving 7 pts from 5 games here)

Best signing? Between Declan McManus, Jimmy Gomis and Loius Longridge 

Worst signing? Mark Durnan

Most improved player? Gary Miller 

Who's finishing in the playoffs? Raith, Airdrie, East Fife

Who's finishing 9th? Forfar

Highlight? Saturday. Actually scoring a set piece and actually scoring a late goal

Lowlight? Losing (twice :lol:) to an utterly rank Clyde side

Best player in the league? Regan Hendry has impressed me 

Losing twice to a rank Clyde says a lot more about how rank Falkirk are to be fair. Could have played all week against us and not scored. Typical ‘billy big time’ comment from a Falkirk fan. You’re in League 1 cause you’re shit. And making heavy weather of beating the shit teams around you. It’d be utterly embarrassing if you don’t win this league but it’s in no way a given. 

HOUSE

Losing twice to a rank Clyde says a lot more about how rank Falkirk are to be fair. Could have played all week against us and not scored. Typical ‘billy big time’ comment from a Falkirk fan. You’re in League 1 cause you’re shit. And making heavy weather of beating the shit teams around you. It’d be utterly embarrassing if you don’t win this league but it’s in no way a given. 

We started the quarter top, lost top spot to Falkirk and Airdrie (who find themselves 4th and 3rd) and gained it back to finish the quarter top.

Im disappointed we haven't pulled away a bit, but considering our injuries we have far from shat it. 

20 hours ago, TxRover said:

Noting the sides points for Q1 and Q2:

Raith Rovers             19 + 13 = 32

East Fife                      17 + 15 = 32

Airdrie                          14 + 18 = 32

Falkirk                          16 + 15 = 31

Dumbarton                13 + 14 = 27

Montrose                      7 + 19 = 26

Clyde                             12 + 9 = 21

Peterhead                    9 + 10 = 19

Forfar                            10 + 8 = 18

Stranraer                       6 + 4 = 10

Looks like Montrose are the current hot team, taking over from Airdrie. The other inconsistency would be Raith, who are fighting injuries and suspended idiots. Clyde have had some niggles, perhaps reflecting in their drop in points earned, but everyone else is pretty even with the long term trend. Unless there is a huge surprise, the bottom four look pretty stable, but Montrose show there is room. The top four look pretty likely in some order, but Dumbarton and Montrose can certainly make inroads.

Thanks for saving me finding the stats. Anyone of the top six could be in top four, and we were outplayed by Clyde for 30 minutes on Saturday so anything could happen in L1. The worst signing so far is Wedderburn, the best is Callum Gallagher but Dale Carrick has been a revelation. The highlight was beating East Fife but the low one was getting humped by the same team. The only side we have taken no points from are Raith, but I wonder if injuries etc will affect their 3rd Quarter?  Stranraer look in real trouble but everyone is still competing. Best player I have seen is Scott Agnew apart from his wee strop near the end recently. He would improve our midfield quality to title winning but is contracted. The last guy we tempted in that scenario (Page) was rotten.

Edited by Chapelhall chap
spelling error

A 'job done' quarter from East Fife I'd say. I'd still be aiming for the 60 points mark so 15 points a quarter minimum is on track.

In the first quarter we picked up 4 wins and 5 draws, played some very good stuff and were probably the better side 'on the balance of play' in 7 of the 9 games (Falkirk away and Stranraer home being the two exceptions). Arguably we didn't pick up as many points as we should have but a bit of defensive softness let us down.

We clearly had a bit of a stumble in the middle of this quarter. In a five game period we were humbled by BSC, beaten by Montrose, thrashed by Airdrie, lumbered to a 0-0 at home to a Clyde team on shite form with a good win away to Dumbarton being the only bright spot. With last season's collapse still looming large, it was pretty easy to worry that something similar might be happening. Since then we're picked up 7 out of 9 and although not looking as flashy as the first quarter, look to have found a bit of steel.

As far as how the league will pan out, I can still see Falkirk winning it. They've clearly underperformed against budget / the squad assembled but with the lack on a runaway leader, they've never been left behind. They're the only team who haven't looked garbage in at least one game against us so far. 

Us, Raith and Airdrie in some order for the play-offs although I do consider Montrose very serious challengers and they could easily make it. I don't see Dumbarton lasting the pace. 

Stranraer to finish bottom with Peterhead 9th.

Considering the turmoil off the pitch and the shithousery of some of the team we are remarkably only a point off the top and could be top by the New Year. It shows that with the promised 4/5 upgrades in January we won’t be far away now McCracken and Miller seem to have the place motivated.

Best player of the season so far - Gomis if the game lasts 60-70 mins !!

Worst Player of the season so far - Any Montrose goalie

Manager rating - McKinnon 0/10 onward to Miller and McCracken 7.5/10 

Best signing - Gomis has been the most consistent and I'll be honest I thought he was done at Utd but he has been superb and surprised how much he likes to attack, mentions to Longridge and McManus

Worst Signing - pound for pound Tidser but fair mentions to Johnstone, Durnan, Buchanan, 

Most Improved player - Since M&M came in would have to be Dixon, he has for sure added 20-30% to his game

Who's winning the league? - I'll be surprised if its not either Falkirk or Raith

Who's making the play offs? - One of the above and Id say as it is now with Airdrie and East Fife but a decent signing for one of the chasing pack or injuries and suspension could see one of the chasing pack in there

Who's finishing 9th? - Peterhead

Who's going down? - Stranraer

Best player in the league - Struggling with this

Highlight of the season - McKinnon getting sacked albeit 7 months too late

Lowlight - McKinnon not being sacked until November

Montrose:
Best signing? Blair Lyons from University of Stirling or Mohammed Niang on loan from Partick Thistle
Worst signing? Wouldnt say any have been that bad but will pick Aaron Lennox as he has made a couple of big mistakes in goal that has led to us getting beat
Most improved player? Graham Webster. Always had the talent but has stepped up the consistent use of it this season
Who's finishing in the playoffs? Raith, Airdrie, Montrose
Who's finishing 9th? Clyde
Highlight? Really enjoyed beating Airdrie 3-1 at the Penny Cars stadium
Lowlight? Not getting our season going until about 8 games in. I think every Montrose fan was worried after the first quarter
Best player in the league? Blair Lyons, Montrose or Declan McManus, Falkirk

Q1 Points - 19

Q2 Points - 13

Best signing - Hendry or Steven Anderson. Hendry is obviously class, but our defence has improved massively since Anderson has arrived. He hasnt always been brilliant himself, but it cant be a coincidence.

Worst signing - John Baird or Lewis Allan. Baird has the benefit of the doubt in that its likely due to age. Worth a gamble, didnt pay off. As much as I feel sympathy for Allan, booing him onto the pitch is awful stuff, he hasnt been very good.

Most improved player - Davidson and Benedictus have been excellent since the EF defeat in August, when they arent getting sent off.

Who will win the league - Falkirk. I would have said us if we looked like having everyone available, but that wont happen.

Playoffs - Raith, Airdrie and EF, but any one of those 3 could finish outside the top 4 potentially. Montrose and Dumbarton are no mugs.

Best player in the league - Best player I have seen this season is Hendry, followed by Goodwillie.

Highlight - Beating Peterhead 4-0 at home. Best game though was the 2-2 draw with Clyde. We were fantastic first half, Clyde fantastic 2nd half. A great game of football.

Lowlight - Saturday, getting beat 2-0 at home to Dumbarton. Not a disgrace or particularly a surprise given our injuries, but for the reaction of some of our fans. Players have ran themselves into the ground lately, and whilst we werent good at all - certainly wasnt deserving of the booing and some of the shouts from the South Stand.

Generally happy with what we've done so far. We've missed a few opportunities to go clear at the top, but I guess the other sides will be saying the same. Joint top at Xmas, regardless of by how much, is something that any Rovers fan would have taken. Without Vaughan we have a real lack of quality going forward, but there is actually some real effort and application in the squad which is a welcome tonic after some of the absolute shitehawks that have plagued our squad in recent years. If by some miracle we can keep a full squad of players available I think we can win the league, but that wont happen. Solid end to the season going into the playoffs will do me.

Edited by CALDERON

36 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Q1 Points - 19

Q2 Points - 13

Best signing - Hendry or Steven Anderson. Hendry is obviously class, but our defence has improved massively since Anderson has arrived. He hasnt always been brilliant himself, but it cant be a coincidence.

Worst singing - John Baird or Lewis Allan. Baird has the benefit of the doubt in that its likely due to age. Worth a gamble, didnt pay off. As much as I feel sympathy for Allan, booing him onto the pitch is awful stuff, he hasnt been very good.

Most improved player - Davidson and Benedictus have been excellent since the EF defeat in August, when they arent getting sent off.

Who will win the league - Falkirk. I would have said us if we looked like having everyone available, but that wont happen.

Playoffs - Raith, Airdrie and EF, but any one of those 3 could finish outside the top 4 potentially. Montrose and Dumbarton are no mugs.

Best player in the league - Best player I have seen this season is Hendry, followed by Goodwillie.

Highlight - Beating Peterhead 4-0 at home. Best game though was the 2-2 draw with Clyde. We were fantastic first half, Clyde fantastic 2nd half. A great game of football.

Lowlight - Saturday, getting beat 2-0 at home to Dumbarton. Not a disgrace or particularly a surprise given our injuries, but for the reaction of some of our fans. Players have ran themselves into the ground lately, and whilst we werent good at all - certainly wasnt deserving of the booing and some of the shouts from the South Stand.

Generally happy with what we've done so far. We've missed a few opportunities to go clear at the top, but I guess the other sides will be saying the same. Joint top at Xmas, regardless of by how much, is something that any Rovers fan would have taken. Without Vaughan we have a real lack of quality going forward, but there is actually some real effort and application in the squad which is a welcome tonic after some of the absolute shitehawks that have plagued our squad in recent years. If by some miracle we can keep a full squad of players available I think we can win the league, but that wont happen. Solid end to the season going into the playoffs will do me.

I’m not sure booing counts as singing. If it does, then I agree that it’s our worst singing.