Your favourite moment this decade supporting your club

Although the pedant in me feels the need to point out the decade is still 12 months from ending! [emoji850]

Genuinely don’t understand how the decade is supposedly 12 months from ending? Please explain why the decade would end in December 2020.

6 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Genuinely don’t understand how the decade is supposedly 12 months from ending? Please explain why the decade would end in December 2020.

My guess is that there was no year zero, 1BC then 1AD, so first decade was 1-10, which would put the decade as 2011-2020.

It's a shite arguement though, it's '10-'19.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

What he said below.

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

My guess is that there was no year zero, 1BC then 1AD, so first decade was 1-10, which would put the decade as 2011-2020.

Well no, its not a "shite argument". Fundamentally of course a decade is any period of 10 years you want to refer to. You can discuss the decade from 2003 to 2012 if you want. But in time periods of years its a simple arithmetic fact that each successive decade starts with the year 1 and ends with the year 0. The current decade began on 1st Jan 2011 and ends on 31st December 2020. 

The same argument was of course talked about endlessly around the turn of the millennium where technically it ended on 31 Dec 2000 but everybody and their brother celebrated it on 1st Jan 2000.

56 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, it would mean that 1980 fell in the 1970s.

1980 falls in the same decade as the years 1971 through to 1979. Its not in the 70s though clearly. Thats a differently defined period of ten years. 😛

Edited by Skyline Drifter

26 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

1980 falls in the same decade as the years 1971 through to 1979. Its not in the 70s though clearly. Thats a differently defined period of ten years. 😛

Differently to what?

The way you're arbitrarily choosing to view things?  

It's not shite, but it IS strictly correct. Start with year one and move forward to now in multiples of ten years. One of those decades' tenth year is 2000 (note, not 1999) the next one's is 2010 and the next 2020.

You can select any consecutive ten year period as a decade for whatever reason you want, e.g. 2007 to 2016, but to do it properly it should end in a zero.

It isn't arbitrary. It's applying the right set of rules. Otherwise we could say the 'millenium' ended not in 2000, or 1999 but 1993 or any other random year.

It's a case of keeping to intellectual standards or not. [emoji846]

Differently to what?

57 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Hahaha the millennium did not end on 31st december 2000, absolutely wild to suggest that.

Technically, it did.

But obviously we celebrated the 1999 turning to 2000 as the Millennium as it’s clearly more symbolic than 2000 changing to 2001.

6 minutes ago, printer said:

It's not shite, but it IT strictly correct. Start with year one and move forward to now in multiples of ten years. One of those decades' tenth year is 2000 (note, not 1999) the next one's is 2010 and the next 2020.

You can select any consecutive ten year period as a decade for whatever reason you want, e.g. 2007 to 2016, but to do it properly it should end in a zero.

But if anyone can pick any ten year period they like (as both you and SD have said) then the OP was presumably picking one that ends in 8 days time when he referred to "this decade".

13 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Differently to what?

Well no, its a fact. This exactly the sort of pedantry you would normally revel in. Your stance on this surprises me.

As I said, you can look at whatever 10 year period you like and call it a decade. In that respect the one ending on 31 Dec 2019 is no more relevant than the one that ended in 2018 or 2014 or whatever. In calendar terms though each successive decade (& this is the 202nd one on record) ends at the end of a year ending in zero.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well no, its a fact. This exactly the sort of pedantry you would normally revel in. Your stance on this surprises me.

As I said, you can look at whatever 10 year period you like and call it a decade. In that respect the one ending on 31 Dec 2019 is no more relevant than the one that ended in 2018 or 2014 or whatever. In calendar terms though each successive decads (& this is the 202nd one on record) ends at the end of a year ending in zero.

:lol: SD, I'm not convinced this 'bore-off' we're conducting, will dent the reputations we now enjoy on here.  

I do get the logic of what you're saying, but I think I'm happier with the first decade lasting 9 years, if it means we can talk in terms of the 60s, 70s, 80s etc.  

I do also like a bit of pointless pedantry, but when we talk decades in football, we don't normally have to clumsily tie ourselves in knots by referring to "the period from 1981 to 1990".   Instead, we refer to the 1980s, which therefore started in 1980 and ended in 1989.

Are you claiming we were born in the decade England won the World Cup for Christ's sake?

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, it would mean that 1980 fell in the 1970s.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

What he said below.

Well no, its not a "shite argument". Fundamentally of course a decade is any period of 10 years you want to refer to. You can discuss the decade from 2003 to 2012 if you want. But in time periods of years its a simple arithmetic fact that each successive decade starts with the year 1 and ends with the year 0. The current decade began on 1st Jan 2011 and ends on 31st December 2020. 

The same argument was of course talked about endlessly around the turn of the millennium where technically it ended on 31 Dec 2000 but everybody and their brother celebrated it on 1st Jan 2000.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Differently to what?

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well it factually did. Its not a debate. The 1st thousand years ended in 1000, not 999 and the 2nd thousand ended at the end of 2000, not 1999.

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

As I said, you can look at whatever 10 year period you like and call it a decade. In that respect the one ending on 31 Dec 2019 is no more relevant than the one that ended in 2018 or 2014 or whatever. In calendar terms though each successive decads (& this is the 202nd one on record) ends at the end of a year ending in zero.

Should stick a row of library books between you two.