Your favourite moment this decade supporting your club

Beating Rangers on penalties on their own patch with a blatant offside decision going in our favour, and also playing them off the park at Palmerston on a couple of occasions was obviously great at the time, but I don't feel comfortable listing them has highlights of the decade.  Beating Rangers at that time doesn't come with the esteem it would have done for example if we had managed it in the 2008 cup final when they were European finalists packed with internationals.  Our victories against the newco were just a small part of the greater "banter years" era in which they were humiliated on a regular basis.  They were Rangers in name only, so getting too excited about beating them both elevates them to a level they don't deserve, and makes us come across as diddies and I'm not keen on either of those ideas.

One of the victories did come in that 9 day period in which we won at Easter Road, and beat both Rangers and Falkirk at Palmerston to secure our spot in the playoffs.  That run is about as good as it gets for us, but doesn't really meet the criteria for this thread.

If we are going down the route of listing one-off results against bigger teams then I would rate beating Scottish Cup holders St Johnstone 2-0 in 2015 as good as an achievement as any of the above.  The disappointment of losing to Falkirk in the next round probably cancels that one out.

Likewise, whilst the below #scenes when we took the lead in the playoff against Falkirk would be hard to top, we ultimately lost the game in what would definitely feature as a lowlight of the decade.

526828256_FalkirkPlayoff.jpg.4a1683009c33e7b27c1013097f6f5f98.jpg

I think I'd have to go with the 2013 Challenge Cup Final as my favourite moment.  It was a brilliant day out with a great atmosphere, the game was about as eventful as you could ask for (after the initial 90 minutes anyway), and we won a trophy at the end of it.  Great stuff.

3 hours ago, Nightmare said:

2010 to 2020 is 11 years. Slightly different in football terms as seasons cross two years, though, so I get your point.

I’m actually not sure there’s an official way or a definition of measuring decades. Suppose in this case just doing ‘the last decade’ of 10-19 makes the most sense.

yeah, would probably take it as 01 January 2010 - 31 December 2019.

Doesn't make much difference anyway since there's pretty much no competition for this that I can think of for Thistle:

image.png.a60ad3511345316ceedfa9faf15e4047.png

James Craigen scoring in front of a near capacity crowd to set us on the way to wrap up the league.

Beyond that there's been some good moments involving the likes of Lawless (goal against Aberdeen was one of the best I've seen at Firhill, but we of course lost that match), Erskine (volley against Airdrie), O'Donnell (finish against Dundee Utd), Doolan (hitting his 100th goal) and even Ryan Edwards (goal against Accies after Lambie passed away) but really there's been nothing earth shattering in that time (no European games, no wins against Celtic or Rangers*, no cup wins or even major finals to speak of)

Doolan's testimonial was a pretty good day though, and seeing him on the pitch with his family while he received warm applause was a nice moment.

Fallen away horrendously over the last couple of years and we're ending the decade on a hell of a low point though. M-maybe we'll get a winning goal against Rangers* or Celtic before 2030, or build a cup winning team over the next ten years, haha! 😐

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Yeah, Craigen v Morton has to be the one for most Jags fans. The day it really felt like we were going up.

My favourite memory in the top flight was the 4-2 win at Tynecastle to survive with a few weeks to spare, in our first season back up there. Fantastic night.

2010 to 2020 is 11 years. Slightly different in football terms as seasons cross two years, though, so I get your point.
I’m actually not sure there’s an official way or a definition of measuring decades. Suppose in this case just doing ‘the last decade’ of 10-19 makes the most sense.

Only if you count 2010 and 2020, which you clearly wouldn’t as it’s not 2020 yet.

yeah, would probably take it as 01 January 2010 - 31 December 2019.

This. Anything else doesn’t make sense. If we were doing this in may then we’d be doing it by season, but we’re not so it’s callander year

Winning the league. Since then, this was good:

image.thumb.jpeg.0bfa5af2089e3e440df7521b79ccf4f3.jpeg

Shankland's time at Ayr speaks for itself but was that particular "moment" exciting? Shankland wasn't really good before his Ayr success so I wouldn't have thought his signing was greeted with much anticipation?

I wasn't too fussed when McCall originally brought Dobbie to Palmerston for example as I didn't think he had done much at our level previously. His return was a great moment because by then we knew he would cruise it at this level.

Shankland's time at Ayr speaks for itself but was that particular "moment" exciting? Shankland wasn't really good before his Ayr success so I wouldn't have thought his signing was greeted with much anticipation?  
I wasn't too fussed when McCall originally brought Dobbie to Palmerston for example as I didn't think he had done much at our level previously. His return was a great moment because by then we knew he would cruise it at this level.

This was his contract extension after we got promoted. Obviously we didn’t think he’d be able to step up as easily as he did but this was a big thing for us considering there were other, bigger teams rumoured to be in for him.

When he initially signed his 6 month deal in League 1 the response from the fans was much different. I think many of thought he’d only be a backup for Moore who was banging them in at the time.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

This was his contract extension after we got promoted. Obviously we didn’t think he’d be able to step up as easily as he did but this was a big thing for us considering there were other, bigger teams rumoured to be in for him.

When he initially signed his 6 month deal in League 1 the response from the fans was much different. I think many of thought he’d only be a backup for Moore who was banging them in at the time.

I think the response to his initial signing varied between disappointment and thinking that he was a decent addition to the squad.

Fast forward a year and a bit later, and he had become the best striker I've seen playing for Ayr.

Ah fair enough. Aye an extension would have been some "moment" right enough.

30 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Your point regarding Dobbie obviously stands.  As a single moment, it probably does actually deserve to win this thing from our standpoint.  It came totally out of the blue and was incredibly exciting given what we'd seen of him years before.

I'll admit however to not knowing he'd "cruise it at this level".  I thought there was a decent chance he'd no longer sparkle, and might be a disappointment.  I wasn't concerned that he'd be hopeless, but I thought it perfectly possible that he'd bow out a bit like Andy Thomson had done.

It's safe to say that such fears were misplaced.  I don't think I was totally alone in harbouring them though.

For me, a related big moment might be that Falkirk game early on at home when he scored two outrageously brilliant goals, keeping us at the top of the table.  It announced for certain that he really was back, if anything better than first time round.

Your point regarding Dobbie obviously stands.  As a single moment, it probably does actually deserve to win this thing from our standpoint.  It came totally out of the blue and was incredibly exciting given what we'd seen of him years before.

I'll admit however to not knowing he'd "cruise it at this level".  I thought there was a decent chance he'd no longer sparkle, and might be a disappointment.  I wasn't concerned that he'd be hopeless, but I thought it perfectly possible that he'd bow out a bit like Andy Thomson had done.

It's safe to say that such fears were misplaced.  I don't think I was totally alone in harbouring them though.

For me, a related big moment might be that Falkirk game early on at home when he scored two outrageously brilliant goals, keeping us at the top of the table.  It announced for certain that he really was back, if anything better than first time round.

You wouldn't have been alone in thinking that but I never had any doubt. He came back to us a more experienced player and in better shape than when he left. He was always going to walk it in my mind.

13 hours ago, ArabFC said:

If we're going for a moment.

It'll be Andy Robertson thumping home goal number four against Motherwell, in our finest performance of the decade.

That is a match that will live on in the memory.

We will never replicate the achievements of the 70’s and 80’s but that more recent game was a singularly brilliant performance.

18 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That is a match that will live on in the memory.

We will never replicate the achievements of the 70’s and 80’s but that more recent game was a singularly brilliant performance.

Were the 70s that great?

First trophy I suppose.

2 things really stand out for me in the last decade.

Firstly of course, the cup win, especially that 3rd goal going in and the absolute certainty hat the cup would be coming back to Tannadice with us.

Another moment of sheer unadulterated happiness however is the moment depicted by my Avatar, when Nads strolled in to knock the 3rd past Secvo FC, turning them over at the neutral venue that was their home patch, and guaranteeing our place in the cup final.

(Obviously, the less said about that final the better, but given the friction between United and Rangers at the time, winning that game was fucking beautiful).

Off the top of my head:

10. Ryan Stevenson re-signing. Ryan Stevenson was probably my favourite player growing up. Every time he scored I got warm and fuzzy so I was absoulotely delighted when we signed him on loan. The most excited I have ever been regarding a signing. Normally I tend to give the games during the fesitive period a miss but I was not missing him boxing day 2nd debut v Brechin. Sadly it never turned out the way most expected but he wasn’t as bad as a lot of people claim. 7 goals from midfield is a decent enough return and most of them are bangers.

9. Hibernian 1-2 Ayr United- The first and only time I’ve seen us win at Easter Road. Regardless of Hibs being in the championship I still regarded them as a massive club whos budget completely dwarfed ours. We were 1-0 down when Bartley got sent off for Hibs and we went on and won it 2-1. Nicky Devlin completely rinsing Scottish Cup Winner Lewis Stevenson was a particular highlight.

8. Dundee United 0-5 Ayr United. Quite possibly the finest performance we have produced this decade. It was 5 but it could have been more. Shankland (RIP) was completely unplayable and it was just a great night to be an Ayr fan. I left tannadice convinced we were going to win the league. 

7. Ayr United 2-2 Kilmarnock- Probably a bit weird having a draw (we lost the replay) as one of favourite moments however the scenes when Alex Williams scored the last minute equaliser is the best I’ve ever witnessed at Somerset. 

6. The road to Hampden 2012- Despite getting relegated at the end of the season this is one of my favourite Ayr Teams. Beat ICT and Hearts (on pens) at Somerset before beating St Mirren at SMP to send us to Hampden. Unreal scenes again when Chris Smith header home.

5. Ayr United 0-0 Stranraer. Ayr win on penalties to gain promotion- A really woeful game of football however we got the job done on penalties. A great night in the West of the Moon afterwards. Got home around 4am was back up for work at half 6. Magic

4.  Airdrie United 0-1 Ayr United. The first promotion of witnessed as an Ayr fan. We came back from 2-0 down in the first leg to draw 2-2. A massive Ayr support went up fully expecting a party and that’s exactly what was delivered. Relegatting Airdrie made it even more sweeter

3. Brechin 1-2 Ayr United- Out of the three playoff promotions I have witnessed this is without a doubt my favourite. Think it’s because of the manner we won it. IIRC it was 1-1 in first leg. We went 1-0 pretty early on due to a mistake from Tiffoney (w**k) however absoulotely pummelled Brechins goal but Craig Nelson was in sublime form however luckily late goals from Mark Roberts and Michael Moffat sealed the win. Bus on the way home was absoulotely bouncing:

2. Ayr United 1-0 Kilmarnock- My first ever Ayrshire Derby win. Super Andy Geggan 

1.  Winning the League 1 Title- I went from the lowest I’ve felt after a game of football to the most buzzing I’ve ever been in the space of a week. We lost away to Alloa and every single Ayr fan I spoke to was gutted and thought the title was gone. Fast forward a week and Alloa have pulled off a draw at Starks Park which we beat Albion Rovers to become champions. Remains up there with One of the best days and nights of my life. 

ETA: Some of these may be pushing the boundaries of a decade. 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

Another moment of sheer unadulterated happiness however is the moment depicted by my Avatar, when Nads strolled in to knock the 3rd past Secvo FC, turning them over at the neutral venue that was their home patch, and guaranteeing our place in the cup final.
(Obviously, the less said about that final the better, but given the friction between United and Rangers at the time, winning that game was fucking beautiful).

Top 3 United moments of the decade

2010 cup final
Mad Nads goal at Ibrox
Johnny Russell scoring against Sevco after about 10 seconds at Tannadice